Welcome to PatsFans.com

Any questions as to whether the Colts tanked last season?

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by VrabelJr, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VrabelJr

VrabelJr Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There was clearly more than enough talent on that team to win more than 2 games last year. Getting a new (as well as an impromptu interim) Head Coach, a Rookie QB (as good as he has been playing) and a few street veterans is not enough to propel a team from 2-14 to potentially 12-4.
  2. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It's fun to joke about but I don't think you've thought this through logistically.
  3. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

They definitely quit. I don't know if they purposely lost, but I'd say the players definitely didn't give it their all. In the first month or so of the season they did play alot of teams very competitively and came within plays of winning quite a few games. Then wen it became apparent they weren't making the playoffs they became downright useless. Clearly quit IMO, it worked out very well for them though.
  4. MUFC7

MUFC7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If last year isn't a indication that the NFL needs a draft lottery I don't know what will make it change. I would bet that a team will suck again for Manziel (if he will be that got once he can be drafted)
  5. thenepatsrule

thenepatsrule Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Post of the day my friend :rocker:
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My feeling is that a QB really is that important. Do you think Irsay (and it would have had to be Irsay since Caldwell and Polian got canned) gathered the players and said, "lose em all"? If that happened, I'm sure some player would mention it to the media after moving on from the team. I do think having a crap QB disheartens players, but I strongly doubt an intentional flop.
  7. VrabelJr

VrabelJr Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No but as an owner you have some of the strongest power of sentiment over your team (besides the HC). Irsay wasn't exactly chipper last year. I think there are ways to make your team lose as bad as they did last year without being explicit. The success they are having this year makes that seem even more so.
  8. Brady=Dilf

Brady=Dilf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wrong. They completely gutted the entire team and installed new schemes on offense and defense. That and the fact they are 7-1 in one score games is why they are 8-4.

Returning starters on offense:
    Donald Brown (benched, only started 4 games)
    Reggie Wayne
    Joe Reitz (hurt, only started 4 games)

Returning starters on defense:
    Antoine Bethea
    Dwight Freeney (missed 2 games)
    Robert Mathis (missed 4 games)
    Jerraud Powers (missed 4 games, on IR)
    Antonio Johnson
    Kavell Conner

This "talent" you speak of from last year is completely gone. You don't keep around scrubs from a 2-14 team. They cut nearly everyone. Dallas Clark, Joseph Addai, Gary Brackett, Tamme is in Denver, Lacey in Detroit. Gonzalez was cut I think and the Pats actually brought him in and then cut him. Their entire LB core except Kavell Conner was cut or not resigned. Angerer lost his job to an ex-CFL player and is now depth.

Look at their offense. Two rookie starting TEs, rookie starting RB, castoff O-linemen, new starting WR, two rookie WRs, and a rookie QB.

The single biggest reason why they went 2-14? No Peyton Manning. Remember that their team is built to win with a lead. That lead comes from having Peyton under center. Once the Colts build a lead, teams are forced to throw against their tampa 2 coverage which was actually very good against the pass. It worked in their favor. That's why the Colts rarely ever blew double digit leads but it did happen a few times.

Now put in a scrub like Curtis Painter under center or Kerry Collins/Dan orlovsky, and that entire philosophy crumbles. How do you get a lead with these guys under center? They suck. That's why they went 2-14. Completely different philosophy this year.
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's the thing, I think the owner has some influence, but not that much. Especially when you have a coach playing for his job, players playing for contracts, guys with some pride, etc. Certainly I don't think anything rising to the level of throwing games happened, maybe just feeling dejected and not being able to quite get up for Sundays as well as they're doing this year.

Was Irsay hoping to lose, though? Probably.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  10. The_Riddler

The_Riddler Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That team made a Business Decision to roll over like a dog when they learned about Peyton's fate last year. No doubt in my mind. They purposely rolled over like puppies to land Luck. Everyone knows it. I posted about it all last season after watching their second half performances in numerous games. Leads mysteriously evaporated, balls were mysteriously dropped and fumbled, on and on and on. It was sickening.

I'll never forget the game against Cincinatti when they had the Bengals beat and Pierre Garcon literally held the ball up in traffic before he went to the ground for no reason whatsoever and he held the ball up allowing 3 Bengals to literally tip it out of his hands for the game winning fumble recovery when the Colts literally had the game won. It was bogus. Why the commisioner never reviewed that game and others is beyond me.
  11. The Gr8est

The Gr8est Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hope that never happens. I hate draft lotteries.

Is it better that a truly bad team gets the difference maker, or, for example, in the NBA, for an injured, but not bad team like San Antonio, to get to draft the difference maker in Tim Duncan?

If you are a player on a team that is so bad that they get the top pick, aren't you a likely player to be replaced?
  12. Brady=Dilf

Brady=Dilf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If you think the Colts were legitimately trying to tank the season, why didn't they stick with Curtis Painter? A team that is trying to tank is not going to start Dan Orlovsky with 5 games left. They started Orlovsky and he won 2 of the 5 last games. Almost won a 3rd one and lost to us by a touchdown. This argument just doesn't hold any water.
  13. Anteros

Anteros Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're making too much sense here. :)
  14. Brady=Dilf

Brady=Dilf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They aren't going 12-4 by the way, probably 9-7 or 10-6 and a 1st round playoff exit.
  15. robbomango

robbomango Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm having a hard time taking anything you say seriously with that user ID, sorry. Brady=Dilf as in Dilfer??? lmao
  16. fnordcircle

fnordcircle tfw not enough helmets PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 2 / -4

If I was an NFL player the last goddamn thing I'd do is play ****ty on purpose just so a team that might cut me at a moment's notice can draft and overpay some college phenom.

If I was an NFL coach the last goddamn thing I'd do is coach ****ty on purpose just so a team who might fire me and leave me with no options but going to some crappy team that just canned a coordinator just so the team can draft and overpay some college phenom.

If I was an NFL front office exec the last goddamn thing I'd do is handle the personnel and business side of things in a purposefully deleterious manner just so a team that might fire me and hire some other coach can draft and overpay some college phenom.

I mean it just makes no sense for any of the people in charge of football decisions from the brass down to the field. These are people whose jobs are on the line year to year and there is a thin margin of error between making millions playing/coaching in the NFL and coaching some ****hole college team.
  17. fnordcircle

fnordcircle tfw not enough helmets PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 2 / -4

Dad I'd like to ****.
  18. The_Riddler

The_Riddler Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Quick Question to you my friend, based on your being able to create an ID and get onto this site, it looks like Indy has come a long way, there is finally internet access out in corn country, that is tremendous news. Look, your team rolled over like dogs for Andrew Luck, everyone knows it. Your team really made alot of people question the intergrity of the game alot last year. You should be ashamed.
  19. robbomango

robbomango Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

oh, lol I'm gettin old
  20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Please. Luck was the prize. They dumped Peyton and played for Luck. The game they lost by a TD was to us.It wasn't anywhere near as close as the score indicated. No real way they expected they'd actually beat us. They lost the remaining games handily....guess it got too close for comfort. Painter wasn't benched until the remaining schedule made it clear they could not screw up getting Luck. It was a calculated season, period.
  21. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Except that tanking would not have benefited any of the individuals who would have had to be responsible for doing the tanking.
  22. Ive_Killed_People

Ive_Killed_People Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They were damn lucky to win 2 games with Curtis Painter.
  23. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

You can't judge year to year. Look at the Saints. They basically have the same team minus the head coach and they are a shell of their former self. Maybe losing Caldwell was the difference.

I think the Colts tanking it was an overrated story. You had players and coaches playing for jobs and contracts. You really think a player heading to free agency was going to hurt his market value so the Colts could get luck and he could potentially lose millions? Do you really think Jim Caldwell wanted to make himself get fired and virtually unhireable again as a head coach so he would have to go back to being a position coach while the Colts rebuild with Luck? Yu think Reggie Wayne playing for his last contract decided to forgo millions to make people think he is washed up so the Colts could get Luck?

Sorry, the Colts were a facade team Caldwell. You could see in 2010 that they were carried by Manning and without him they would have be a 4 win team.

The Colts like many teams were able to rebuild quickly. I bet next year like most teams who go from one of the worst teams in the league to a playoff contender the next, will take a significant step back. We see this movie play out year after year in the NFL.
  24. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Frankly ,I dont know why luck is not being discussed for the MVP. doesnt have the numbers maybe but this team won 2 games without a QB last yr.
  25. tuckeverlasting

tuckeverlasting Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

been waiting for this thread. knew it last year. been proved now.
  26. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -1

Yes, give them the worst QB in the NFL in an era where QB is far, far, far and away the key to winning, and they will suck.
    COMPETANT QB play, along with a defenisve scheme change away from one that only cares about rushing the passer, turns you into a team that can be 8-4 by beating one winning team on a day when the team was ramped up to play for their cancer beating coach.
    And, they aren't going 12-4.
  27. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm shocked by what you are insinuating. Clearly a man of Jim Irsay's integrity, and a team whose very birth was accomplished by literally sneaking out of Baltimore in the middle of the night would never think about doing anything like this.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  28. tombonneau

tombonneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm curious about the Tanking Conspiracy Theorists: How do you logistically think this took place and was implemented?

I'm genuinely curious and fascinated by this viewpoint. It reminds me of people who think Ernie Adams was breaking down defensive signal footage at halftime ....
  29. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's a good question, but one that will probably never be answered to your satisfaction given that, you know, it would call into question the integrity of the game itself and all that, and people that do such things usually tend to do them in a way that evades detection.

Sometimes "I know it when I see it" is as good of an answer as you're going to get. That, coupled with it involving guys like Irsay, Poilan and the overall slimeball nature of that organization is good enough for me. If that makes me a "Tanking Conspiracy Theorist" (that's a good one :p) then so be it.

You're basically saying that it probably didn't happen because no one can definitively prove it. Let me ask you, do you there's any game fixing going on in the NBA or other sports right now?
  30. Crazy Patriot Guy

Crazy Patriot Guy Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

A quote from Dr Zs power rankings on cnnsi.com going into Week 3 of the 2001 season, in which he had the Pats dead last in the league:

"This is sad. Drew Bledsoe took a big hit and is out indefinitely. Honestly, I don't know what weapons they have with which to win a game"

I'm having a hard time understanding how fans of a team voted by NFL brass least likely to win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years before the 2001 season have to assume a tanked season is the only explanation for the Colts doing so well this year. Seriously?

I remember thinking after Bledsoe went down: "Well, we suck now. Let's suck all the way and get the #1 pick." 5 months later, we were Super Bowl champs. 3 years and 5 months later, we had won 3 of 4.

Find me something, anything, written by someone outside New England before the 2001 season that thought we had the talent to go to the playoffs, let alone win the Super Bowl. So what was it? Did we tank on purpose in 2000 to land Richard Seymour?
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.