PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any positives tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget Guyton, the guy was making tons of tackles. I think Jordan did all right. He almost lost a fumble, but I think that was more of a bad handoff by Gutierrez. Ventrone looks like he might be a solid H-Back, hopefully he's with us. If he gets cut, you know someone will scoop him up and see what a hidden gem we've developed on offense.

Don't forget Guyton, the guy was making tons of tackles. I think Jordan did all right. He almost lost a fumble, but I think that was more of a bad handoff by Gutierrez. Ventrone looks like he might be a solid H-Back, hopefully he's with us. If he gets cut, you know someone will scoop him up and see what a hidden gem we've developed on offense.

Good point, I forgot about Guyton. He's 6'3'' 245 and can get much bigger. he's got long snake arms and has alot of range. He should amke the roster even over more stablished vets. The talent is there, he just needs to be developed.

What I found interesting was that it's the vets that are playing badly, while several rookies are stepping up and showing potential. To me that says the vets are in screw-it mode...we know what they're capable of during the regular season, then add what looks like a strong draft class and things look pretty good.

Tripped on an easy red zone fade. The "Turf Monster" got him. We likely would have won (not that it matters, right guys?) :cool:

Chad would have caught 2 TDs tonight, he was getting ready to abuse that CB when his athletic feet got caught in the damn turf, but that would have been 6. Chad can play and if he ever gets in there with Brady in normal offensive sets, he'll be dangerous.

"Slater: Call me crazy, he has more talent to play safety than Meriweather. He's faster. He doesn't miss tackles. He has better hands. And he's probably smarter. He judges angles extremely well and can deliver a big hit. Yes, I like him more than Meriweather."

Pony, I agree, I wouldn't say he's better than Brandon at this point, way too early and not enough to judge on, but call me crazy, I saw some really good things from Slater at FS also, he was quick in run support and we know he can run with WRs. He looked good and read the plays like a veteran.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chad would have caught 2 TDs tonight, he was getting ready to abuse that CB when his athletic feet got caught in the damn turf, but that would have been 6. Chad can play and if he ever gets in there with Brady in normal offensive sets, he'll be dangerous.
I agree. I'm just afraid he'll have a rough time winning Brady's trust. That said, he looked Moss-esque at times. Imagine two Moss' on the field... :)

And he'll possibly make a few picks. But I agree. He did look good at safety, he might have been the best safety on the field last night. Surprised that he didn't get as much action at WR.

I think throughout the year he's going to be used in a LOT of different situations, though I think we're seeing him primarily at safety because we have so much depth at WR. I have no doubt he could play there though, and would fill in nicely if we had an injury (except one to Moss, of course).

I'm not quite sold on him as a kick returner yet though. He has GREAT speed, but he just doesn't seem to quite have a nose for the hole yet. Probably something he'll learn, and once he does it won't take a very big window for him to burn a coverage unit.

I'm excited about this kid :)

What I liked about last night is that the Patriots looked a lot like an actual football team. It was the first time this year.

Hobson proved he was what Bill thought he was. He reinforced the notion that Bill who sees the practices, had said. He is a young NFL vet.

Yates proved once again that he does not belong playing. Why not designate him the third blocking TE? Then start Wellbourne at RG.

The only problem is that Yates can't block well enough at TE...

Guyton had another valid performance as did Crable. Woods showed too.

Of this year's newcomers:

Hobson keeper
Peters gone
Bryant Keeper
Sanders Lewsi ?
Wellbourne keeper
Ross ?
Lynch keeper
Flynn ?

Connolly to PS
Redd to PS
BenJarvus Green to PS
Others cut

Mayo star keeper
Wheately keeper
Crable keeper

Willhite probably a keeper else PS
Ruud gone

Woods move up to player
Meriwether move up to player
Le Kevin moves up to player
Thomas moves up to player

Spann bubble
CJ Jones bubble

Most of all, Cassel was the best of the backup QBs,almost by default. KO'C hasn't a clue yet. Gutierrez is less clueless; but needs another couple of years...

I watched the game a couple of times and I noticed some positives:

When the 2nd team def.came on,Guyton was receiving the defensive signals from Dean Pees.....I thought this was interesting.

Tedy and Mayo,switched positions,with Mayo at WILB and Tedy at SILB.Teams just cannot run at Seymour and with Mayo behind him this is a formidable alignment.

Like Pony said,Crable is in the way of everything.The strong side TE,just can't seem to handle him.His long arms keep the blocker away from his body and he's so athletic,that he's tough to try and cut block.
He has to learn to get his hands up,to use his height to block the QB's sight line on short passes.

I have to say I was impressed with Hobson last nite....He seemed faster and more assured.With linebackers,it doesn't matter who is in there on offense,just watch his initial reaction....is it instinctive?...or just by rote?
Last nite,Hobson was instinctive,Alexander is not.
Also,watch how much special teams work Hobson did.He must have been tired,but he held up.

Now,to my new binky....Slater
As Pony elucidated...he looked like...how should I put this?.....A free safety...an ACTUAL safety.
He played both FS and SS,takes a good angle to the ball carrier.Hits a ton and tackles well.
He moved quickly and assuredly,when the defense moved from a zone to a blitz package with cover 3.He moved from the middle to the deep zone in a nanosecond.

very impressive.....I think this puts Spann in serious jeopardy.

Speed kills and intelligence gives the eulogy.....This kid has both.

John Lynch just hits! That's what he does and he does it well. He was all over the place (for an "OLD GUY" of course:rolleyes:). I just watched for the first time today plus there's a replay on now.

Agreed with everyone else here but I wanted to emphasize Lynch's play-him and Rodney out there together would be a sight to behold:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back