PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any objections to taking McFadden with pick #4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you guys haven't read this article from PFW:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2007/whispers120107.htm

Expect to see Kevin Faulk as the Patriots’ running back when they go to four-wide alignments. Faulk has better open-field quickness than Laurence Maroney, and the Pats are growing increasingly less fond of giving Maroney a full workload. We hear they’re beginning to doubt Maroney’s toughness and don’t see him as a 20-plus-carry running back.

Like it or not, if Maroney continues his disappearing act in 2007, McFadden becomes an increasingly more desirable draft option in 2008.

Last edited:
Like it or not, if Maroney continues his disappearing act in 2007, McFadden becomes an increasingly more desirable draft option in 2008.

Far more likely that we draft a RB in the second round or later rather than committ 10% of our cap space to a position that we don't use in our current offensive scheme.

Far more likely that we draft a RB in the second round or later rather than committ 10% of our cap space to a position that we don't use in our current offensive scheme.

If we can pick up a QUALITY RB in Round 2, I wouldn't mind so long as the RB position is addressed adequately. It depends on the individual candidate of course. And a lot will become more clear after the Combine. Right now though McFadden stands heads and shoulders as the best available RB prospect for 2008.

More McFadden testimonials:

http://www.realfootball365.com/college/articles/2006/11/arkansas-darren-mcfadden101106.html

Simply put, McFadden is a complete back. He's stout enough (6-foot-2, 205 pounds) to run between the tackles, fast enough (4.4 in the 40) to lose defenders in the open field. He's a threat catching passes out of the backfield, and he's even taken direct snaps on occasion in Gus Malzahn's funky offense (and thrown a touchdown pass to Wes Murphy).

http://footballsfuture.com/2008/prospects/darren_mcfadden.html

McFadden is the total package. He has excellent size, speed, and athleticism. He is a willing interior runner, and will not be brought down by the first defender. Once a hole opens up, he hits it and is in the open field ready for a big play. What makes McFadden special is that he is a gamebreaker, along with being a guy that can pound it between the tackles. He has the speed to get to the outside, and the speed to outrun defensive backs.

http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2008dmcfadden.php

Strengths: A franchise running back in every sense of the word; Darren McFadden will carry the offense on his shoulders…Athletic with 4.4 speed and shiftiness…Versatile - can make the catch out of the backfield…Is going to fight for yards after the initial hits…Smooth runner between the tackles and can break it to the outside with his second gear…Good stiff arm and sells his jukes.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/NFL Team Columns/dallas_cowboys_nfl_team_column.htm

30 October 2007

Cowboys Targeting Darren McFadden in the 2008 NFL Draft

So the better question might be: Is Darren McFadden worthy of two first round draft picks? Absolutely; he is a complete running back with power, size and speed. He can get that first down on a 4th and one, but he also has the speed to take that same hand off all the way to the end zone. He has great hands and can catch the ball very well out of the backfield. He even has a decent arm and has thrown a TD pass or two in his career. He is the type of player that defenses must account for on every play. Plus, who else would they draft? Cornerback? Receiver? Maybe, both are needs, but there isn't either a corner or receiver that just jumps out at you as a "must have" first round talent.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/119451754620600.xml&coll=3

"He's a great back," Fulmer said. "He's a fantastic back and it comes back to having those big chunks of yards to end up with numbers like that. It's incredible."
Aided by Felix Jones' 166 rushing yards, Arkansas rolled up 542 yards of turf on South Carolina. There's no secret about Arkansas' attack. The Hogs will visit Knoxville in an attempt to do the same thing: run over and around the Vols.

Arkansas will put McFadden everywhere and have him do a little bit of everything. Just like late last season, the Hogs' package with McFadden taking a shotgun snap is becoming a bigger part of the offense.
"It's hard to defend," Fulmer said. "There's good misdirection with it and they have speed and can get on the corner with you in a hurry. And then they've got the power part of it as well and can run the football up inside. So it requires a lot of discipline to take care of that."

http://www.mcfaddenforheisman.com/index.php?paged=2

McFadden possesses the most impressive mix of power and speed in the country, drawing comparisons to the likes of Hall of Famer Eric ****erson for his effortless, upright running style.

His Reggie Bush-esque versatility led to the creation of the “Wildhog” formation, in which he lines up in the shotgun as quarterback with fellow 1,000-yard rusher Felix Jones standing at his side - in three passing attempts on the year, McFadden has tossed two touchdowns, including one against South Carolina.

Last edited:
Regarding Dallas already having Jones/Barber, keep in mind that Jones is a UFA after this year (he signed a 6 year deal but it's been voided after this year) and Barber is a RFA. So there's all kinds of ways Dallas could go, letting Jones go, trading up for McFadden and teaming him with Barber for a year or putting a reasonable tender on Barber to get some picks back then trading for McFadden and signing a Sammy Morris type to split with him.

Point being, Dallas isn't tied up with RB in any way once this season ends.

Who would trade up for our pick? dont think anyone would - nobody worth trading up for - even mcfadden

Who would trade up for our pick? dont think anyone would - nobody worth trading up for - even mcfadden
Depends on the asking price, doesn't need.

If we wanted a low #1 and a #7 we could do it. If we wanted six #1s we couldn't. Somewhere between falls a spot that someone would do it with an offer that would at least tempt us.

I don't think Maroney is who we thought he was and as a result our running game can use a bigger impact RB. After saying this I still believe LB is a bigger concern. We really need 2 YOUNG LB's to start grooming.
A good RB can be had in the later rounds to fil this need but LB is a must imo.
We lack speed at LB and it will only be filled by younger LB's.
LB and CB and than a RB.

If McFadden shows himself to Belichick/Pioli to be a true Barry Sanders type, then we should absolutely take him. But it's certainly no guarantee that's he going to be an elite player or that no one else from this draft will establish himself as that guy. If McFadden is the pick at #2 I'll trust it means that we've got a future MVP at runningback, if we don't pick him I'll have no problem with that.

They way the board is shaking out my preference is to trade back or maybe take Jake Long is is rated at the level of Joe Thomas (starting LT in the NFL).

Failing that McFadden makes some sense because IMO the 08 defense several new faces, either rookies or veteran FAs. It may take a while for the D to gel, why not give them 40+ points as a margin or error.

Amended - More ammo, he could be the best player in the draft at an impact position. Again only we are forced at gun point to pick the the top 5. I still think it would be funny to keep passing on the pick until the value equation makes sense.

Last edited:
Trade down. Get an elite corner, extra picks and future picks. We need defensive players. I feel like most our picks should go to db's linemen and hopefully lb's.

Jonathan Stewart is a rb I think we should look at. Big 230 bruiser from Oregon. Think he would be the perfect back to add into our rotation.

Maroney, Morris ,Stewart, Faulk , Evans would be a nice deep stable with plenty of depth imo.

I am not a big Maroney fan , but Stewart could be just what the doctor ordered to soften things up for everyone else.

They way the board is shaking out my preference is to trade back or maybe take Jake Long is is rated at the level of Joe Thomas (starting LT in the NFL).
We'll have to see how the ratings shake out, most of my reading suggests Long will end up being graded well but a step below Thomas.

The only problem I have with taking Long is that he projects as better ROT than LOT in the NFL. I think if he came out last year, he might have gone ahead of Thomas.

I have no objection, other than hating to lose the cap space, taking McFadden at #2 or #3 or #4. He is a talented RB and I do not have confidence in Maroney. Faulk and Morris, if he comes back healthy, will both 30 plus years old next season, I think.

It'll be interesting to see where McFadden gets picked. RB's have a high propensity of being drafted high (inside the top 5), but with very mixed results. For every stud like an LT & Adrian Pererson, there's a handful of duds for that high a draft postion.

2007 - none
A.Peterson #7

2006 - 1 top 5
Reggie Bush

2005 - 3 RB's top 5
R.Brown (notables 3rd round Gore - 4th Barber & Jacobs)
C.Benson
Cadillac Williams

2004 - none top 5
S.Jackson first RB @ #21

2003 - none
MGaHee #23
L.Johnson #27

2002 - none

William Green #16

2001 - one
LT #5

2000 - one
J.Lewis #5
T.Jones #7

Perhaps you guys haven't read this article from PFW:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2007/whispers120107.htm

Expect to see Kevin Faulk as the Patriots’ running back when they go to four-wide alignments. Faulk has better open-field quickness than Laurence Maroney, and the Pats are growing increasingly less fond of giving Maroney a full workload. We hear they’re beginning to doubt Maroney’s toughness and don’t see him as a 20-plus-carry running back.

Um... you shouldn't be putting to much faith into that rag. They're just selling gossip. And you know that they're making it up. No way anything like that came from the lips of Belichick or McDaniels.

Still, although I have no belief that the Pats have given up on Moroney, neither do I think that having Moroney on the roster makes McFadden an impossible choice. I think BB will draft a future HOFer at whatever position he plays, if that's what he thinks he's looking at. McFadden is more highly regarded coming out of school than Tomlinson was. I trust the brains in Foxboro to put a fair value on his upside. And if he is everything they say, he's worth the pick.

Actually, I think just about anyone in the top-5 is fair game: Long, Long, Dorsey, McFadden, Ellis, even though few (none) of them play at real positions of need for us. OL and DL, at least, are two of our strongest units. RB is a need, but SP has proven he can find servicable and affordable talent on the street.

But nothing is forever, and if BB feels that one of those guys is a unique talent-- like Seymour or Lawrence Taylor-- he'll tap him, regardless of position. I think of drafting Ben Watson at #32 to play behind Daniel Graham for three years.

The one exception I'll make is QB. No reason to draft a HOF QB when you already have one. But otherwise, if we're adding talent to the top of the roster, you're still improving the team.

Trade down for Laurinaitis or Jenkins still seems more pragmatic to me. But how can you second guess any decisions this Front Office has made, after years of proving themselves right?

the thing is when they pay alot and get a high pick like seymour they want them to play more snaps.

with maroney getting say 6-8 carries ,flauk - 6-8 carries leaves mcfaddan with 6-8 carries in a game with 20-25 running plays.

so value wise do how many see the value on a guy in for 10-12 snaps with 6-8 carries getting 30 million...check out the snaps for guys we pay alot for

tom brady - plays most of the snaps 50+
ty warren - plays a more than 35 snaps a game
seymour -- plays a more than 35 snaps a game
AD - - plays a more than 25 snaps a game [he is new so i see it more with a year in the system]
vrabel [1/3rd of the pick ] - plays a more than 35-50 snaps a game
wilfork - plays a more than 35-50 snaps a game
matt light [less than macfaddan] - 50+
Dan koppan [less than macfaddan] - 50+
gaurds - 50+

randymoss if resigned - plays a more than 50+ snaps a game
stallworth - - plays a more than 35 snaps a game

now lets put the same money on a guy getting in for 10-15 snaps and running 10 times max.

Last edited:
the thing is when they pay alot and get a high pick like seymour they want them to play more snaps.

Interesting point, thanks!

An interesting point to be sure, but I think it's rather naive. You're assuming that McFadden won't become a breakout stud. And I think he will. A guy like McFadden can run, block, catch, and even throw the football.

He should easily see 30-40 snaps per game because he is such a versatile weapon. I think it's a pretty safe bet that if the Pats do select McFadden, they believe he will be a stud that they can anchor their offense around. He is easily capable of 1,200-1,500+ yards, especially since he won't be facing 8 in the box, not with the weapons Brady has to throw to.

I am also amused at how you throw out offensive linemen seeing 50 snaps a game as if it's a significant stat. Well duh, they have to be on the field for EVERY offensive snap or your QB would be dead pretty quick, no?

with maroney getting say 6-8 carries ,flauk - 6-8 carries leaves mcfaddan with 6-8 carries in a game with 20-25 running plays.

so value wise do how many see the value on a guy in for 10-12 snaps with 6-8 carries getting 30 million...check out the snaps for guys we pay alot for

tom brady - plays most of the snaps 50+
ty warren - plays a more than 35 snaps a game
seymour -- plays a more than 35 snaps a game
AD - - plays a more than 25 snaps a game [he is new so i see it more with a year in the system]
vrabel [1/3rd of the pick ] - plays a more than 35-50 snaps a game
wilfork - plays a more than 35-50 snaps a game
matt light [less than macfaddan] - 50+
Dan koppan [less than macfaddan] - 50+
gaurds - 50+

randymoss if resigned - plays a more than 50+ snaps a game
stallworth - - plays a more than 35 snaps a game

now lets put the same money on a guy getting in for 10-15 snaps and running 10 times max.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back