PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any ideas on how to upgrade at TE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Pats are fortunate enough to have the best tight end in the NFL. But behind Gronk, there is still much to be desired. Scott Chandler was supposed to transform the Patriots offense, but he collected only 259 yards and 4 touchdowns on 23 receptions, which is a major disappointment. Michael Williams is a quality blocking tight end, but doesn't offer much value as a receiver (with 26 yards on 3 receptions).

So if the Pats could improve upon either Chandler or Williams, how could we get it done?

find doc brown, get into his delorean, go back in time i dunno 5 years, punch aaron hernandez in the face repeatedly while yelling, you dumb piece of crap stop acting like a gangster you angel dust addict ****tard, prevent him from murdering a bunch of people, keep him on the straight and narrow.

laugh as the pats have the two best tightends in nfl history.

Ya get a time machine and go back in time and prevent hernandez from being a murderer.

But for what it is worth Chandler from a receiving standpoint Chandler was the 3rd best #2 TE.

If you want to improve on him I'd guess maybe go sign one of the two #2 TEs that were ahead of him, Zach Miller (the one that played for Chicago this year) playing behind Bennett or Ladarius Green playing behind Gates. But the caveat to their production is Gates missed 5 games and Bennett missed 5 games and both Bennett and Gates only saw 80 targets this season. Gronk saw 120 targets in 15 games.

So there is absolutely nothing to say either of those guys would do any better than what Chandler produced.

Last edited:
find doc brown, get into his delorean, go back in time i dunno 5 years, punch aaron hernandez in the face repeatedly while yelling, you dumb piece of crap stop acting like a gangster you angel dust addict ****tard, prevent him from murdering a bunch of people, keep him on the straight and narrow.

lol great minds think alike

A couple years ago a lot of us wanted one of Austin Sefarian Jenkins, Jace Amaro, Eric Ebron (almost impossible to go past the top 15 at the time) and Fiedorowicz or something like that. None of them really impressed, I think Jace Amaro could have done well here with his size but he is a Jets injury prone player now.

I don't really know how to answer this question, I wanted Chandler in the Pats from a long time but he did no better than that kid from Tampa Bay who came here in the Mankins trade. I think in this case (Chandler) before his knee injury he was doing kind of well but some 2 bad games and Brady closed the book on him.

The Pats are fortunate enough to have the best tight end in the NFL. But behind Gronk, there is still much to be desired. Scott Chandler was supposed to transform the Patriots offense, but he collected only 259 yards and 4 touchdowns on 23 receptions, which is a major disappointment. Michael Williams is a quality blocking tight end, but doesn't offer much value as a receiver (with 26 yards on 3 receptions).

So if the Pats could improve upon either Chandler or Williams, how could we get it done?

It depends on what you're willing to pay.

Ladarius Green will probably be outside the price range, or he'd be the logical choice. After that, all the TEs will be a risk/reward situation specific to individual teams (Gates/Watson with age, Fleener with drops, etc...).

Last edited:
I wonder if Vernon Davis' lack of production in Denver puts his market low enough that the Pats could scoop him up cheap. But, he hasn't done much lately either.

If the Browns don't keep Gary Barnidge I wonder if BB would be interested. He had a nice year last year. Ladarius Green is another guy who seems like he should have physical upside but hasn't put it together. Hooman is a FA again... So is Ben Watson. Garrett Celek and Zach Miller have had good games at times.

A couple years ago a lot of us wanted one of Austin Sefarian Jenkins, Jace Amaro, Eric Ebron (almost impossible to go past the top 15 at the time) and Fiedorowicz or something like that. None of them really impressed, I think Jace Amaro could have done well here with his size but he is a Jets injury prone player now.

I don't really know how to answer this question, I wanted Chandler in the Pats from a long time but he did no better than that kid from Tampa Bay who came here in the Mankins trade. I think in this case (Chandler) before his knee injury he was doing kind of well but some 2 bad games and Brady closed the book on him.

Most people had major question marks about those TEs. Ebron was highly regarded, but the rest were questioned as much as they were praised. That group has worked out pretty much as people thought it would, if memory serves.

Most people had major question marks about those TEs. Ebron was highly regarded, but the rest were questioned as much as they were praised. That group has worked out pretty much as people thought it would, if memory serves.

That's definitely correct, at least as it pertains to the draft forum here. There was a lot of skepticism about all of those guys. I specifically remember that Off The Grid made a huge picture of Frankenstein saying "I'm open!" when describing Fiedorowicz, that one really made me laugh....

Dwayne Allen. Heck of a good TE when healthy, solid blocker and pass catcher but is injury prone, which could keep his price down. Maybe offer a 3 year $8 million contract. Team him up with Gronk and they'd dominate.
Way too much money for him.

I wonder if Vernon Davis' lack of production in Denver puts his market low enough that the Pats could scoop him up cheap. But, he hasn't done much lately either.

If the Browns don't keep Gary Barnidge I wonder if BB would be interested. He had a nice year last year. Ladarius Green is another guy who seems like he should have physical upside but hasn't put it together. Hooman is a FA again... So is Ben Watson. Garrett Celek and Zach Miller have had good games at times.

What a year Watson had last year....man. I think his departure in 2009 was more about money than anything.

Keep Williams, he's a versatile and he's good.

I wonder if Vernon Davis' lack of production in Denver puts his market low enough that the Pats could scoop him up cheap. But, he hasn't done much lately either
I think Vernon Davis is finished.

The thing about Davis is that he always relied on his athleticism to succeed (4.38 40 time), but he's now 32-years-old. He's always been more of an athlete than a football player. He has poor hands (look at the critical drops he had in Denver), poor form (instinctively jumps to catch passes out of habit), and is a mediocre route runner; he is a great blocker, but I don't think he would be a good fit here.

I wold pass on Davis. I think we can do better. It wasn't even just a lack of production in Denver. He was so putrid that he hardly even played anymore. By week 15/16, he was basically the 3rd string tight end.

Way too much money for him.

Disagree, market value. That is unless you think Scott Chandler is a better player than Allen. They paid Chandler $3,250,000 this year that included a $2 million signing bonus. Not only is Chandler soon to be 30, he can't catch, can't run and can't block. Allen is younger and does all three much better than Chandler. His only downside is his health.

draft

bryce williams in the middle rounds or jake mcgee late

Film it and call it the unmaking of a murderer?

Disagree, market value. That is unless you think Scott Chandler is a better player than Allen. .

I think Chandler has been a more productive, durable, dependable player than Allen. That's what establishes market value.

They paid Chandler $3,250,000 this year that included a $2 million signing bonus. Not only is Chandler soon to be 30, he can't catch, can't run and can't block. Allen is younger and does all three much better than Chandler. His only downside is his health.

For multiple reasons - health, system, guys throwing to him, etc Allen hasn't had a solid year since 2012. He is more physically gifted than Chandler but so what? He isn't even close to duplicating his production which is what really determines market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes