Welcome to PatsFans.com

Any Food Experts Here - Coke Question

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by IcyPatriot, Jul 6, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,025 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

2. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

From the FDA:

I believe Coke's secret formula is nothing more than the flavorings and spices used, so that's how they keep it secret!

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,025 / 44 / -31

#24 Jersey

See...this is what worries me. Suppose some of these spices are from items that are dangerous or would make us cringe if we knew where they came from.

It must be something nearly impossible to replicate...I've tried many different "Cola's" over the years...and none come close...BTW..Pepsi is horrible IMO...they can keep their secret formula a secret..who cares.?

Thanks for the find...I'm still thinking it helps them disguise ingrediants...like Cat's eyes, goat balls,
    snake tongue, frog intestines. :rofl:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  4. milwaukeebeers44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/index.html

The Atlanta paper has an entire section devoted to Coke.

Classic Coke- there's nothing better. I drink diet sodas, though (yay aspartame) and diet Pepsi is the one I tend to go for, though the new black cherry vanilla diet coke is my new favorite drink. That stuff is like crack, and for all we know, it contains crack!

5. shakadave

shakadave In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hasn't Coke at various times contained cocaine, coca, coal?

6. milwaukeebeers44

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, coke has. The name coca-cola comes from the coca plant, which produces cocaine.

7. primetime

primetime Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +562 / 61 / -30

#18 Jersey

It was originally billed as a remedy for headaches (and several other things, including impotence). It still does contain (very, very trace amounts, probably about the same amount you'd sniff by taking a breath near any dollar bill) cocaine.

From Wikipedia: "According to popular belief, the coca leaf extract cocaine was once added to Coca-Cola, per se. Because cocaine is naturally present in untreated coca leaves, small amounts of cocaine were also present in the beverage. Today's Coca-Cola uses "spent" coca leaves, those that have been through a cocaine extraction process, to flavor the beverage. Since this process cannot extract the cocaine alkaloids at a molecular level, the drink still contains trace amounts of the stimulant[24]. The United States DEA oversees the importation of coca for Coca-Cola, and later sale of the extracted cocaine to the drug industry where it is used in the creation of many of the common drugs whose names end in "-caine" (such as Procaine and Lidocaine)."

I like Coke in cans and Pepsi in bottles. To each their own I guess.

8. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +193 / 2 / -3

Unless you're fond of drinking benzene, I think Coke's larger concern will be more public attention about soft drinks containing the cancer causing compound

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/benzqa.html

Like the government reports about high levels of Mercury being found in fish for the last 20 years, I'd expect that industry and the government keep this story out of the spotlight as much as possible for as long as they can