PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any FA's you like this off season?

Thank you. :)

Which do you think is a more likely scenario? I would think McGahee would be more likely to end up here.

If we are looking for a big 235 back, then I think the draft is a better place to look. Dixon of Miss State and Gerhart of Stanford are two huge backs that could easily match anything McGahee brings to the table.

If we are looking for a big 235 back, then I think the draft is a better place to look. Dixon of Miss State and Gerhart of Stanford are two huge backs that could easily match anything McGahee brings to the table.

Both Dixon and Gerhart are 4.6-ish guys. McGahee certainly had much more speed than that when he came out. I'm not sure how much he has lost.

If the price is reasonable, I'd personally be quite happy picking up guys like McGahee and Bush in FA and using our draft picks to focus on OL and the pass rush.

Both Dixon and Gerhart are 4.6-ish guys. McGahee certainly had much more speed than that when he came out. I'm not sure how much he has lost.

If the price is reasonable, I'd personally be quite happy picking up guys like McGahee and Bush in FA and using our draft picks to focus on OL and the pass rush.

Out of all of the postitions on the team, outside of maybe kicker, I think running back is the least of our worries. Now way I would sign any of these guys to more than a vet minimum contract. Bush seemingly misses 6-10 games every year, to the point where Pierre Thomas has really taken over that role. He's not as good a runner (on draws/delays), receiver (runnign routes, hands), or blocker as Faulk and will cost more. The only advantage Bush has over Faulk is a little bit more agility running toss sweeps or the screen game. We don't use toss sweeps too much, and although Bush has better open field moves, he's much more likely to run the pattern wrong, drop the pass, or fumble. Good punt returner, though.

Does McGahee help the team? I don't know...he really doesn't play special teams, so we'd have an active spot dedicated to a short-yardage/goalline back, which isn't a very good idea. I really don't think he's any better than Maroney at this point in his career, and Maroney's starting to show that he gets better the more carries he gets.

If we want to get rid of Morris (good special teams player) and/or Taylor, and BenJarvus doesn't do it for you, there's more versatile and healthy guys out there. Mike Bell is UDFA who would likely come cheaper than McGahee and can contribute on Teams. I think Jerome Harrison will be UDFA if a CBA gets done, and I'd rather have him than Bush. Jerius Norwood is also in that category and I'd also rather have him than Bush. I might be tempted to bring in LenDale White, whose also in that category and see if a pissed off LenDale has something to contribute, although in fairness, I don't know if he'd take to hard coaching. Ditto Larry Johnson.

There's lots of guys out there...there is every year. But I feel better about our RB group than any other group on the roster.

Tough game for Josh Reed. Four dropped passes and two muffed punts about right?

Last edited:
If I could, I would sign Bodden, Wilfork, Gostkowski, Watson, Mankins and Faulk to new contracts.

In addition, I'd like to extend Brady, Welker and Moss.
================================================

Paying big money for some else's free agents has not been the way of securing players for the patriots. I agree with the approach of the patriots.

Belichick will find a some second tier free agents, but there is no way to figure out who at this point. This year that list included Springs, Bodden, Banta-Cain, McGowan, Ninkovich and Galloway. Belichick prefers to spread the cap around and find several players at $2M-$3M rather than take the risk of one or two high-salaried free agents.

Last edited:
If I could, I would sign Bodden, Wilfork, Watson, Mankins and Faulk to new contracts.

In addition, I'd like to extend Brady, Welker and Moss.
================================================

Paying big money for some else's free agents has not been the way of securing players for the patriots. I agree with the approach of the patriots.

Belichick will find a some second tier free agents, but there is no way to figure out who at this point. This year that list included Springs, Bodden, Banta-Cain, McGowan, Ninkovich and Galloway. Belichick prefers to spread the cap around and find several players at $2M-$3M rather than take the risk of one or two high-salaried free agents.

It does seem like BB has a good deal of success digging up mid level free agents that can contribute.

What is it going to take to resign all those bodies? If you had to prioritize them, who the most vital and who is the most easily replaced?

It does seem like BB has a good deal of success digging up mid level free agents that can contribute.

What is it going to take to resign all those bodies? If you had to prioritize them, who the most vital and who is the most easily replaced?

I would slap myself if I said this in July, but on the above list, the most indispensible is TBC. Go figure.

There are a bunch of guys who will be RFAs if it is an uncapped year and possibly UFAs if there is a new CBA, who could be of interest depending on their status and the price:

WR Mark Clayton, Baltimore - Pats wanted him in 2005

Yes, the Pats did try and trade up for Clayton in round one that draft. Now in his 5th season and with 233 receptions, could he be that wideout needed to pair with Moss on the intermediate/deep routes? And how important is it to Brady to have a proven reliable target as another downfield option?

Youngster Tate is promising -- but still an unknown until after TC and pre-season. If the price is right and Clayton is still held in high regard, and Brady's opinion matters, I wouldn't be surprised if BB addresses this weak area of the offense in a less risky manner. JMO.

First, Mankins and Gostkowski will be RFA's so we could keep them for one year in any case. My guess is that it would take an average of $8M to sign Mankins long-term and $4M for Gost. Wilfork will be franchised for about $9M, a bit less than the average cap hit to sign him long-term. My guess on Bodden is about $7M a year. Faulk is not a high-priced player, perhaps $3M a year. Watson should get about $4M a year.

Brady, Moss and Welker would cost big bucks, probably an average cap hit of $30M a year.
==============================================

MY PRORITIES assuming we keep our RFA's and franchise Wilfork
1) extend Brady
2) extend Bodden
3) extend Moss
4) extend Welker

4) extend Welker
3/5/2007: Signed a five-year, $18.1 million contract.
The deal included a $5.5 million signing bonus and a $3.5 million option bonus in the second year.
2009: $1.65 million (+ $250,000 roster bonus + $100,000 workout bonus),
2010: $1.9 million (+ $250,000 roster bonus + $100,000 workout bonus),
2011: $2.15 million (+ $250,000 roster bonus + $100,000 workout bonus),
2012: Free Agent
Why would we extend Welker this off season when his salary is relatively cheap and considering hes not a FA until 2012?

Last edited:
Why would we extend Welker this off season when his salary is relatively cheap and considering hes not a FA until 2012?

The theory, I think, is to lock up good players when doing so would reduce salary-cap ramifications in future years (i.e., if the Pats gave WW another $5M signing bonus in 2010, it wouldn't count against any salary cap that might return in 2011).

Keith Bulluck Tennessee seems like a Belichick guy who probably would like to win.

Keith Bulluck Tennessee seems like a Belichick guy who probably would like to win.

I've long been a fan of his game.........I've long been a hater of his mouth. While not Joey Porter he's said some sh!t in the past that might prohibit that move.

I think his ACL blew out against the Dolphins on Sunday, probably out for next season, and without Haynesworth's protection, he was not having a banner season to start with.

Last edited:
Steven Jackson is under contract, unless the Rams cut him. He signed a 6 year deal in 2008.

If 2010 is an uncapped year, then 6 years will be required to reach UFA status, and the pool of available UFAs will be drastically reduced. The only players who I can see being of potential interest are:

- DE/OLB Julius Peppers, Carolina - I can't see it, myself, but FAs not FA unless Peppers is mentioned for the Pats agreed
- DE/OLB Aaron Kampman, Green Bay He doesn't like playing in the 3-4. I doubt he comes here.
- LB Karlos Dansby, Arizona - has been franchised twice, may get franchised again or sign a long term deal Something tells me he is going to want a lot of money. I think he either gets resigned for big bucks, they have the money, or he goes to a team like the 49's. They are a 3-4 team and could choose to flex back into the 4-3.
- CB Dunta Robinson, Houston - a possibility if we can't re-sign Leigh Bodden
Great selection. I always wanted him in a Pats uniform

There are a bunch of guys who will be RFAs if it is an uncapped year and possibly UFAs if there is a new CBA, who could be of interest depending on their status and the price:

- WR Mark Clayton, Baltimore - Pats wanted him in 2005 Not bad. he could be had for cheap.
- TE Owen Daniels, Houston He would be a great sign. The only problem is that Houston may really try and hold onto him. They like him and use him like a wide receiver.
- OT Willie Colon, Pittsburgh - great RT, could be very expensive True
- OLB Shawne Merriman, San Diego I can't stand him and don't want him. He hasn't produced this year. Also, I think his rep has been tarnished since he's been busted for performance enhancing drugs.
- DE/OLB Chris Gocong, Philadelphia
- DE/OLB Ray Edwards, Minnesota
- CB Carlos Rodgers, Washington From the day this guy was drafted, I thought he was over rated. I've seen him play, and I think he's another Fred Smoot: an average player that is usually the recipient of heavy pressure and tipped passes.
- CB Richard Marshall, Carolina

If 2010 is an uncapped year, then the vast majority of UFAs will be players who are cut by their teams because they are underperforming their contracts. These could include guys like New Orleans RB Reggie Bush, Jets DE/OLB Vernon Gholston, and a bunch of others.

Good list. Question: If we sign Bush, do you think that could hamper our attempts to resign Faulk? Food for thought!

First, Mankins and Gostkowski will be RFA's so we could keep them for one year in any case. My guess is that it would take an average of $8M to sign Mankins long-term and $4M for Gost. Wilfork will be franchised for about $9M, a bit less than the average cap hit to sign him long-term. My guess on Bodden is about $7M a year. Faulk is not a high-priced player, perhaps $3M a year. Watson should get about $4M a year.

Brady, Moss and Welker would cost big bucks, probably an average cap hit of $30M a year.
==============================================

MY PRORITIES assuming we keep our RFA's and franchise Wilfork
1) extend Brady
2) extend Bodden
3) extend Moss
4) extend Welker

I don't think Mankins is worth 8 mil a year with all of those flags he's been drawing this year. I'm thinking 7 is more appropriate. The highest I could go is 7.5.

Space Ghost has been struggling a bit this year. he's hitting about 85%. This is a what have you done for me lately league. Right now, 85% accuracy does not justify 4 mil a year. We could keep him for about 3 mil tops.

Unfortunately, I think you might be right about Wilfork. I hope he doesn't hit us hard for 9 mil, but it just might be coming to that. My question is, why not pay the man last off season. We could have saved ourselves a draft pick, and not wasted it on Brace.

Bodden should not get 7 mil a year. When he went up against Pierre Garcon, I think he played poorly. Garcon dropped a lot of passes. Those drops inflated Bodden's stats that game. I truly think, if Bodden played better in the fourth quarter, against a young inexperienced wide receiver, we would have won that game. We don't have our corners switch sides very often, so there doesn't seem to be a need to pay him like one that does. If it comes down to paying Wilfork an extra mil to keep him, or over paying Bodden and extra mil, I say give it to Big Vince in a heart beat.

3 mil a year for Faulk seems reasonable.

4 mil for Watson is a bit much. If he asks for one penny more than 4, I say let him go.

One player that has been forgotten is Neal. We can bring him back for one more year to teach a young player. Hopefully that kid is Mike Iupati from Iowa. That would be lovely.

If Adalius restructures, we could have some extra cap room. I doubt he does. Most likely he'll be cut and goes to the jets. Why? He would be reunited with Rex Ryan and Bart Scott; he would be allowed to play in a one gap attack oriented defense, and he would be able to think less and react more.

Where are you getting your numbers from?

The 2009 franchise number (the average of the top 5 salaries) of any OL (OT, OG and C) was $8.4M. For a K/P it was $2.5M. For a TE it was $4.4M. So you seem to assume that Watson, Ghost and Mankins will require an average salary that is close to or above what it would cost to franchise them. That seems unrealistic. Usually the average cost in a long-term deal is below that of the franchise tag.

I'm not saying your numbers are wrong, but they seem a bit on the high end.

I don't think Mankins is worth 8 mil a year with all of those flags he's been drawing this year. I'm thinking 7 is more appropriate. The highest I could go is 7.5.

Space Ghost has been struggling a bit this year. he's hitting about 85%. This is a what have you done for me lately league. Right now, 85% accuracy does not justify 4 mil a year. We could keep him for about 3 mil tops.

Unfortunately, I think you might be right about Wilfork. I hope he doesn't hit us hard for 9 mil, but it just might be coming to that. My question is, why not pay the man last off season. We could have saved ourselves a draft pick, and not wasted it on Brace.

Bodden should not get 7 mil a year. When he went up against Pierre Garcon, I think he played poorly. Garcon dropped a lot of passes. Those drops inflated Bodden's stats that game. I truly think, if Bodden played better in the fourth quarter, against a young inexperienced wide receiver, we would have won that game. We don't have our corners switch sides very often, so there doesn't seem to be a need to pay him like one that does. If it comes down to paying Wilfork an extra mil to keep him, or over paying Bodden and extra mil, I say give it to Big Vince in a heart beat.

3 mil a year for Faulk seems reasonable.

4 mil for Watson is a bit much. If he asks for one penny more than 4, I say let him go.

One player that has been forgotten is Neal. We can bring him back for one more year to teach a young player. Hopefully that kid is Mike Iupati from Iowa. That would be lovely.

If Adalius restructures, we could have some extra cap room. I doubt he does. Most likely he'll be cut and goes to the jets. Why? He would be reunited with Rex Ryan and Bart Scott; he would be allowed to play in a one gap attack oriented defense, and he would be able to think less and react more.

I think all of your calculations and scenarios are very realistic.

Listening to Rodney Harrison on sunday nite football and all his knowledge makes me think we are missing that coach on the field for the DBs? (On that note, I get the feeling the Dungy is impressed with his football smarts, but I digress)

Watching that recent A. Thomas soap opera makes me question the lack of verteran leadership on this team, guys that will speak up and tell the young-ens to shut and go study some film.

Where you find these vets with leadership is beyond me, any suggestions??

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back