PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any FA TE's you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats signed Baker to a 5yr/14.4 mil contract last year. I dont see then investing another large contract on another TE. Would love to see Daniels as a Pat, he is one of the best pass catching TE's in the league and if you paired him up with Moss and another new WR from the draft or FA then you may see the Pats offense open up again. But as its been said, he is a RFA and I am sure the Texans will offer him a high salary tender, which would cost us at least a 1st rounder to sign. I think the Pats will bring in a couple low end FA's and draft one too. Im liking Rob Gronkowski from Arizona. I think he could turn into a very good all around TE. But will have to pick him up somewhere in the 2nd, doubvt he goes past that and we have no 3rd. If thats to soon then Jimmy Graham from Miami might be a nice pick up somewhere in the 4th. 6'8", 260. Big target and quick. Very raw though, only 1 year of football under his belt, former college basketball player.

In "Patriot Reign", it is mentioned the Patriots were interested in Kris Wilson in the 04 Draft. We ended up picking Watson @ 32 and Wilson went to KC in the 2nd round. I think he may be a poor man's version of Baker though. What the Pats need is a big, Red Zone target. Even a Christian Fauria type would be nice, but I don't see one on this list.

We already have a blocking TE in Baker. Why would we need another?
They come in handy, especially if one gets hurt. Additionally, Baker as an option bonus due in 2011 which may not get picked up - for whatever reason, not a forecast - and having another TE capable of serving as an extra tackle and still slipping out into a route isn't a bad thing.

They come in handy, especially if one gets hurt. Additionally, Baker as an option bonus due in 2011 which may not get picked up - for whatever reason, not a forecast - and having another TE capable of serving as an extra tackle and still slipping out into a route isn't a bad thing.

Meh.

If they're going to carry two TE's again, I'd rather get a balanced TE who can play both aspects well.

And save the third roster spot for a fullback!

Meh.

If they're going to carry two TE's again, I'd rather get a balanced TE who can play both aspects well.

And save the third roster spot for a fullback!
:confused2: For what NE does with TEs now, balance is nice, but it ain't the end game anymore.

Still, Dennis Pitta gets a nice write up for his receiving and his blocking at the Shrine Game. There's also Tony Moeaki and Andrew Quarless. My late round guy is still Jim Dray.

I know we can draft one but WR is more important than TE. We also have some other area to address which we all know.
Anyone you like?

TE Dan Campbell UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
TE Daniel Coats RFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent
TE Alge Crumpler UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent
TE Owen Daniels UFA Houston Texans Free Agent
TE James Dearth UFA New York Jets Free Agent
TE Darnell Dinkins UFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
TE Anthony Fasano UFA Miami Dolphins Free Agent
TE Casey FitzSimmons UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
TE John Paul Foschi UFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent
TE Michael Gaines UFA Cleveland Browns Free Agent
TE Ben Hartsock UFA New York Jets Free Agent
TE Will Heller UFA Detroit Lions Free Agent
TE Reggie Kelly UFA Cincinnati Bengals Free Agent
TE Jeff King UFA Carolina Panthers Free Agent
TE Joe Klopfenstein RFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
TE Brandon Manumaleuna UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent
TE David Martin UFA Miami Dolphins Free Agent
TE Randy McMichael UFA St. Louis Rams Free Agent
TE Billy Miller UFA New England Patriots Free Agent
TE Leonard Pope UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent
TE Sean P. Ryan UFA Kansas City Chiefs Free Agent
TE Bo Scaife UFA Tennessee Titans Free Agent
TE Tony Scheffler UFA Denver Broncos Free Agent
TE Derek Schouman RFA Buffalo Bills Free Agent
TE Alex Smith UFA Philadelphia Eagles Free Agent
TE L.J. Smith UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent
TE Matt Spaeth RFA Pittsburgh Steelers Free Agent
TE Quinn Sypniewski UFA Baltimore Ravens Free Agent
TE David Thomas RFA New Orleans Saints Free Agent
TE Jerame Tuman UFA Arizona Cardinals Free Agent
TE Benjamin Watson UFA New England Patriots Free Agent ..I guess not him.
TE Ernest Wilford UFA Jacksonville Jaguars Free Agent
TE Kris Wilson UFA San Diego Chargers Free Agent
TE Todd Yoder RFA Washington Redskins Free Agent

Cousin, Think we can pry Cooley from Shanny?
How about a block buster trade with the Skins? They are going to probably dump Portis. They need some D-Line to go with Haynesworth.
How about this trade to help all. Santana Moss and Chris Cooley plus a second for Moroney. Brace, AD (the give away) and our fourth?

Shannys' system might work for Maroney. I would take that pick and go for Cody.

Cooley is only 27 and Moss is 30. There is your #3 WR.

It's our needs versus theirs.
DW Toys

Watson is pretty good

I've heard good things about Alex Smith. We could either sign him or draft someone like him in the 5th round. :rolleyes:

Cousin, Think we can pry Cooley from Shanny?
How about a block buster trade with the Skins? They are going to probably dump Portis. They need some D-Line to go with Haynesworth.
How about this trade to help all. Santana Moss and Chris Cooley plus a second for Moroney. Brace, AD (the give away) and our fourth?

Shannys' system might work for Maroney. I would take that pick and go for Cody.

Cooley is only 27 and Moss is 30. There is your #3 WR.

It's our needs versus theirs.
DW Toys

Isnt the hiring of Shanahan supposed to make this team smarter? That would be a horrible trade for Washington. A TE and a WR who average around 70 catches nd 5 tds a season, been to 3 probowls combined, PLUS a 2nd rounder for a bust RB with injury history who is a FA after 2010, a LB who has proved he is only as good as the players around him (plus makes a ton of money), and DL who has yet to prove a thing and a 4th rounder? If Shanahan accepted a trade like that the NFL would investigate it.

The Bears are shopping Olsen.... He would make a good compliment to Baker. Draft somebody like Peek for development, and presto problem solved.

We already have a blocking TE in Baker. Why would we need another?

Alge Crumpler sucks, and he's up to about 300 lbs now.

Crumple-stilskin?

He was quite the good player when he was in Atlanta. Are you sure you're being fair with this guy? You have been known to go off half ****ed so to speak.

Last edited:
The Bears are shopping Olsen.... He would make a good compliment to Baker. Draft somebody like Peek for development, and presto problem solved.
Link on that one?
DW Toys

The Pats signed Baker to a 5yr/14.4 mil contract last year. I dont see then investing another large contract on another TE. Would love to see Daniels as a Pat, he is one of the best pass catching TE's in the league and if you paired him up with Moss and another new WR from the draft or FA then you may see the Pats offense open up again. But as its been said, he is a RFA and I am sure the Texans will offer him a high salary tender, which would cost us at least a 1st rounder to sign. I think the Pats will bring in a couple low end FA's and draft one too. Im liking Rob Gronkowski from Arizona. I think he could turn into a very good all around TE. But will have to pick him up somewhere in the 2nd, doubvt he goes past that and we have no 3rd. If thats to soon then Jimmy Graham from Miami might be a nice pick up somewhere in the 4th. 6'8", 260. Big target and quick. Very raw though, only 1 year of football under his belt, former college basketball player.

Baker's contract actually breaks down like this:

First 2 years for a total of $5.3 mil. Then 3 additional years for a total of 9.1 mil. So I think it's safe to assume that Baker's is gone after this year unless he has a great year.

Who you go after depends entirely on what the 2010 offensive scheme is going to be. If they're going to continue with the 2007-09 scheme, then they'll want guy who are very good at pass protection and run-blocking who can get open and catch 15-25 times a season. There's a ton of guys out there who can do that - free agents and late-round draft prospects - though not all of them can handle the Pats blocking schemes/communication (e.g., Alex Smith, Michael Matthews . . .). Guy like Tony Scheffler, in that case, don't make a lot of sense, no matter how good they might be in the passing game.

If they're planning on changing up the scheme to incorporate the TE more in the passing game, then it's wide open for guys like Scheffler or Pitta.

Really, what the Pats do in free agency WRT acquiring TEs could be considered a bellweather for change - or not. What happens with Watson is probably far less an indicator since the Pats are likely to let him walk rather than pay him. Baker isn't really an indicator either. He was certainly used far more in the passing game when with the Jets than he has been with the Pats (Jets fans ar aghast at ow little we make use of his receiving talent).

The two guys from the P/S - Agnone was a major target for Flacco back in college and Myers was primarily a receiving TE at Utah State, leading all TEs nationally with a 15.2 ypc average his junior year. Tough to tell from that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back