Welcome to PatsFans.com

Any "Dune" Fans

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by JoeSixPat, May 24, 2008.

1. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +107 / 2 / -3

In the realm of science fiction novels I think Dune and the subsequent Frank Herbert novels are some of the best.

First of all George Lucas ripped off half of Dune to write Star Wars - but overall there's so much packed into Herbert's work - from commentaries that apply to modern world politics, to religion, and mysticism, genetic memory, human development in the future, philosophy, that I've found I can read and re-read the novels and come away with some pretty deep insights into the story and modern society each time.

The only thing that gives me pause in recommending it is that I think Dune - the first book, is among the more difficult "reads" among the later books of that series, and yet you need to get through it to understand the rest.

I'd caution that folks not start with his son's "pre-quels" though - they are easier reads but tend to stray from the "Duniverse" that Frank Herbert created.

2. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Always enjoyed Dune. The original had some profound insights, and is the best selling scifi book in history.

Once Paul becomes the messiah, and Herbert attempts to convey what kind of thoughts might go through the head of such a man, I thought the book lost some of its vitality and descended into some mumbo jumbo. But the overall concept was brilliant. The analogy with the 7 pillars of wisdom, TE Lawrence, rise of the Arabs, Oil is pretty obvious, as well as the religious influence of Islam, which some may not appreciate given the current political climate. But looking at it as a work of the human imagination, I would classify Dune as an example of creative genius.

3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Never got into it. Did like the Iron Maiden song based on it though.

4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

If you read any of Joseph Campbell's work you see that Lucas actually used a lot of ancient stories from mythology in Star Wars. Herbert probably did as well.

5. DGameguy

DGameguy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I absolutely LOVED Dune. After the first book, however, I lost interest. I thought the Saga should have focused more on Paul Mu'adib, and not the planet Arrakis.

The Sci-Fi Channel mini-series did a really good job with the book, much better than the David Lynch film. However, if you get the new metal case special edition of Dune, there are hours and hours of documentary and extra footage that the producers forced Lynch to cut out. It's one of the few films that the Directors' Guild has allowed a director to remove his or her name from.

I had heard a while ago that Herbert's son was going to write another trilogy that focused on Paul's action's and the Jihad between the first two books. I think I would buy that.