PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any concerns with the LT spot now that Light is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobs My Uncle

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is Nate ready to handle things ......

I believe so. Once he spends this offseason in S&T and hones his upper body strength, there's nothing obvious preventing him from growing into an elite tackle. JMO.

I think one of the reasons that Light decided to hang it up was because he knew the LT position was in safe hands... At least that's what I'm hoping :).

Other than a slight concern about Solder's concussion last year I have no concerns. Every concussion worries me just that little bit but he played the following week so it must have been minor.

RT worries me a little more with Vollmer's back problem last year but we had some RT drafting options (Massie for instance) who we could have had at the end of the 3rd round so they must not be too concerned.

My bigger concern is Vollmer's back holding up at RT. I think Solder will do fine and so will Seabass, if healthy.

Back injuries have a way of lingering/returning/messing up your life, though.

That said, I am reasonably high on Cannon, but as a backup, and Gallery I see as only being useful inside at G.

Is Nate ready to handle things ......

Am I concerned about the LT spot now that Matt Light is gone? Not particularly. We all knew this day was coming; it just happened a year earlier than most expected. Light played well enough last year that I would have preferred for him to return for the 2012 season, but on the other hand Solder showed enough that I have confidence in him going forward. A full off-season of working with Dante Scarnecchia should help too; don't forget Solder did not get the benefit of working with the Pats coaching staff last off season due to the lockout.

If there is a concern it would be with Sebastian Vollmer. I think he will have had enough time to work on rehabbing his back (it will be a full year from the time he injured it to when the season kicks off) that he should be okay. What is worrisome is that back problems are tricky things and have a greater likelihood of being a recurring issue, unlike say a broken collar bone. Vollmer had back issues in college as well so this is something to consider as well.

Perhaps rather than asking about Solder, the better question would be to ask is how comfortable the Pats are with depth at tackle? Is Marcus Cannon ready to go if/when called upon? Robert Gallery is considered by some to be a huge bust at tackle, is he better suited to playing guard?

Injuries are an inevitable reality in the NFL, particularly on the offensive line. There's no such thing as too much depth for this unit. Overall I think the Patriots are in good position with this unit in comparison to other NFL teams, despite the question marks above.

Last edited:
I'm concerned that the Patriots best OT retired.
I'm concerned that Solder may still not be ready for the best bullrushers out there.
I'm concerned that the RT position is a back tweak away from real trouble.

But, overall, I'm not too concerned with Solder as the LT. He'll have a full offseason this time around, and that should help a lot.

I'm concerned about OT in general, especially with Vollmer's back issues and Cannon's lack of playing time, I think the position depth is very thin. I would really have liked to pick up Nate Potter, especially since he was available so late.

I think the TE's will be used to help in obvious passing situations at least in the beginning of the year. By the 2nd half of the year he should be more dependable. He's spending the offseason in Foxboro so I expect him to be much stronger and technically sound next year.

FYI, I believe he had multiple concussions this year. They appear to have been minor but you never know.

The Patriots have a fantastic record with offensive linemen taken early (with the exception of Klemm), and Solder already showed good signs last year. With a full offseason he should be solid this year.

Like everyone else, my concern is more with RT and depth. Vollmer's back worries me, and though I'm pretty confident in Cannon's abilities, who's behind him? I would guess Gallery would fill in as our 4th T on the depth chart, but if that happens I'll be nervous.

Is there another T on the roster right now that I'm missing? I mean outside of the UDFA we picked up. All the other backups I can think of are interior guys.

My bigger concern is Vollmer's back holding up at RT. I think Solder will do fine and so will Seabass, if healthy.

Back injuries have a way of lingering/returning/messing up your life, though.

That said, I am reasonably high on Cannon, but as a backup, and Gallery I see as only being useful inside at G.

This.

Worried on Vollmer's health somewhat - but the depth of Cannon, and even Gallery who I think Belichick must feel comfortable at G & T, provide the depth we need.

And honestly, if worst came to worst, I can see Belichick dragging Light out of retirement. He's done it with Seau & Colvin.

I think Belichick would have tried to make Mr. Light an offer that he couldn't refuse if he were very concerned about Solder being an adequate replacement. Solder was fairly impressive for a rookie with no offseason to speak of. I think that Light has confidence that Solder will protect #12's blindside very well, perhaps spectacularly as he matures. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt reactivating is only a phone call away, if it ever becomes necessary. I loved the job that Matt Light did during his tenure, and I'm bullish on Solder as well. Solder will probably need and receive more TE assistance to start the season with, but will fly solo more frequently as the season "matriculates", as Hank Stram used to say.

Last edited:
The Pats have nobody who can shoot skeet like Matt Light. Nobody.

I'm worried about our depth now that neither Vollmer nor Solder are the backups anymore, much less worried about the starting line. Cannon hasn't proven anything yet, and wasn't he drafted to be RG, not a backup tackle?

I think you have to be a little concerned. I mean this is the guy who has protected Brady's blindside for pretty much Brady's entire career (injury aside).

But clearly there are 3 talented players to turn to at tackle in Solder, Vollmer, and Cannon.

I am not as worried as some on here about Vollmers back as he was dressed for the superbowl and now has a full offseason to truely heal up. I understand back issues can be a lifetime problem but we also dont know that the injury couldnt be something that heals and does not re-occur.

Maybe not by this year, but by Solder's third year he'll be an All-Pro LT. (added weight to his huge frame, better technique, etc) I think he'll be very good this year though.

If Vollmer's back problem is fine then he is an All-Pro as well.

The T position will either be the strongest in the league or a problem, depending on Nate's progression and Sebastian's back.

I actually have mixed feelings about it. I think Solder can hold his own but Light was'da man! So I guess it could be bitter sweet but If Solder took over I'd give'm a shot.

I am more worried about Vollmer's health than anything. I also think Vollmer would be better at LT than Solder.

Last edited:
This.

Worried on Vollmer's health somewhat - but the depth of Cannon, and even Gallery who I think Belichick must feel comfortable at G & T, provide the depth we need.

And honestly, if worst came to worst, I can see Belichick dragging Light out of retirement. He's done it with Seau & Colvin.

I hope Light goes on the retired/shadow roster.

I might be wrong but Gallery was never given a chance to play LT. He was RT and failed at that. They moved him to G. Could it be that Gallery is like Light, in that he could be a good LT but a terrible RT? Of course, time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes