PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any Chance The Patriots Pursue Jamal Lewis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2366084

Now that the Ravens have signed Mike Anderson, it looks like they won't make an offer to Jamal Lewis. I haven't read about any strong interest from teams in Lewis, and I think he may be under-valued at this point.

He had a down year last year, and I remember that a poster last off-season actually predicted this, saying that the food and training in prison is supposedly horrible, which caused Lewis to play 2005 out of shape and without endurance.

Lewis is only 26 years old, and here are his other seasons:

1364 yards, 4.4 avg, 6 td
1327 yards, 4.3 avg, 6 td
2066 yards, 5.3 avg, 14 td
1006 yards, 4.3 avg, 7 td (in only 12 games)

If the Pats could sign Lewis to around or under 4Mill a year, I think he should be our RB for the future. He could split carries with Dillon next season, and then become the full-time feature back after that. He seems to have a stigma as a difficult person, but I'm not too knowledgeable about that. Maybe others can shed light on this.

I've noticed several topics about drafting a running back at #1, but I think the Pats could find a potential bargain (if not Lewis, then another back) during free agency. This year, I would rather spend our first two draft picks on linebackers, DB's, or big men.

Last edited:
Yup, we've debated on that quite a bit over here. If he were available at th right price, I'd definitely give it a shot. I'd take him over Lendale White (assuming he was available at #21) and use that first round pick on someone like Bobby Carpenter

maverick4 said:
If the Pats could sign Lewis to around or under 4Mill a year, I think he should be our RB for the future. He could split carries with Dillon next season, and then become the full-time feature back after that.

Putting aside the fact that he is an ex-con....

The Pats aren't going to "split carries" between a $4 million a year back and an $5 million a year back. That's not the way the NFL works. If you want to build a full-roster of 53 contributors (which is what it takes to win a SuperBowl), you can only allocate so much cap-space to each position. Dillon, Faulk, and Pass are all under contract. If the Pats add a running back this year, it will be a draft pick, and probably a draft pick that will have to earn a roster spot playing special teams. Unless they are willing to take a big cap hit and release Dillon, don't look for a big ticket running back until next year. With the salary cap, there's no such thing as "grooming" future players at salaries like that.

It's almost a given he will end up in Denver...we'll see soon. I don't see it with a good chance to grab a cap saving RB in the draft right through round 3-4.

Seems like a future Steelers back to me.

I'm not against signing Lewis but I don't agree with the thought that we pass up White at #21 because we found a "bargain" in Lewis for $4 million a season. The 21st pick in the draft would be signing for less than $2 million a year.

Don't think he could be signed cheaply...I assume that is the reason why he is till out there...over valued...Let another team pay big bucks for him...To be honest, the Pats have other needs much more important than a RB...

Lewis just isn't that good anymore, if he ever was. He had some good years, before his knee injuries, when Ogden and the rest of the line were dominant. Once their OL declined to even an above average lin, his production fell off considerably. He's good if he can get to the second level where he can overpower some LBs and safties. He is terrible when he has to create at the LOS and, for a big back, fumbles far too often. The only way he will be able to succeed is if he goes to a team that has a bunch of roadgraders on the OL. Pats, and not too many other teams, have such a line. Denver ios probably the most likely spot as their scheme would afford him the oppurtunities to succeed. Hell, if Ron Dayne can run well in Denver, the two stepping Lewis can as well.

The guy has faced 9 to 10 men in the box his whole career with no threat of a passing game. He didnt even have a whole offseaon to get into shape. Lewis will be back, he's only 26.

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Yup, yeah that's about the appropriate response.

Nope. Re-signed with Baltimore. 3 years, $25 million.

Too rich for our blood, eh?

any chance the Pats pursue Jamal Lewis?

I sure hope not

Patriotic Fervor said:
Nope. Re-signed with Baltimore. 3 years, $25 million.

Too rich for our blood, eh?

NFL sending a great message to their fans: 8 1/3 mil a year for a convicted felon. LMAO at people that laugh at major league baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back