PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any Chance Pats trade Asante Samuel on draft day?

Unexpected, I must say.

me neither,It looks like he's putting pressure on the Pats by hoping for increased offers b-4 the Draft.

Anybody want to bet Mangini will get involved in this?.......like with Branch.

Schecter also used the "holdout" word.

me neither,It looks like he's putting pressure on the Pats by hoping for increased offers b-4 the Draft.

Anybody want to bet Mangini will get involved in this?.......like with Branch.

Schecter also used the "holdout" word.

Whats beyond me is what do these players just leave 7 and a half million just sitting on the table. All because they want more. They can be set for life with 7 million and it just pisses me off that they have to be greedy....

The trouble with a non-exclusive franchise tag is that the player's agent

can solicit bids from other teams. I suspect the bids for Asante are getting

higher and higher as time goes on because there are no other good

cornerbacks available.

Re: Any Chance Pats trade Assunte Samuel on darft day?

Show me a link where Samuel says he is content to play for the franchise tag amount. I think Samuel expects a long term deal. Playing for 7.7M for one season is a lot of money to you or me, but it is NOT the security of a longterm deal and big bonus money that a pro athlete and his agent want. Big world of difference imo.

I don't see the problem with paying a YOUNG CB like Samuel with Dre Bly money. They have the cap space.

Well first of all show me where I or anyone else said Samuel would be "content" to mak e $8 million for a season. No one has - he wants as much money as he can... but he's not in control of that.

What's at issue is whether he'd be "content" to to make $0 million next year. So show me a link where he said that.

Of course if I could show you that link I'd be showing you that Samuel and his agent said they'd be content with a one year $8 million contract we'd all agree they are incredible idiots. NEVER in a million years would anyone utter that in public. They might even posture a little tougher down the line.

But again, the question is, is Samuel "content" in your words not to make a fraction of $8 million by sitting out the season.

It was a no brainer for Branch to do that, under contract with nothing to lose... How many frachise players sat out 10 games last season protesting the tag amount? How many franchise players sat out in protest the year before? And the year before that.

Yes, I know you won't believe me, but it is highly unlikely that Samuel will sit out the season - or 10 games at least - and leave nearly $8 million on the table.

In my opinion, Samuel is better than any corner in this draft as of right now. Therefore, I would'nt trade Samuel just to move up and grab Leon Hall or any other cornerback. Samuel is more valuable to the Pats then just another pick in the first round. If the Pats do indeed trade Samuel for a first round pick, which is highly unlikely, moving up for Calvin Johson would be a strong possibility as well as Joe Thomas. I know it sounds ridicuous with the WR free agent signings the Pats have made, but Calvin Johnson is a CAN'T MISS prospect. With that said, the Pats will have Samuel and their two first round picks come April 28-29.

If he's a "can't miss" prospect, I can't see the Lions passing on him.

They seem to draft a "can't miss" receiver every year.:rolleyes:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back