PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any Andre Carter news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Jeff Howe:

Source: Andre Carter Could Need Surgery to Repair Quad Injury - New England Patriots - NESN.com

It looks like Patriots defensive end Andre Carter could miss some significant time.

Carter was carted off the field in the first quarter during Sunday's victory against the Broncos, and the Patriots ruled him out with a knee injury.

However, Carter suffered an injury to his left quad, and it looks like it will need to be surgically repaired, according to a source. Nothing is set in stone yet with plans for surgery, but signs point to that being the case.

If Carter needs surgery, it could put the remainder of his season in jeopardy, which would be a huge blow to New England's defense. Carter became the third player to record double-digit sacks during Bill Belichick's tenure in New England, and he was one of the two best players on the Patriots' defense in 2011.​

Feel sorry for the guy he won't be playing in the playoffs with this team. It's a shame too because you look at the Carter and he looks like he takes better care of himself than almost anyone in the league including the youngsters. He's a pro's pro and if by some chance they get a AFC championship or SB ring he fully deserves to have one for his leadership and hard work this season.

this is a big blow, but i guess its the NFL and most teams out there are playing without major players due to injury etc. someone will have to step up. Hopefully Anderson can get more consistency...I thought he played great today

Well, @^%$*() ^&^&%$%#@ @&)%^#&*.

That's a lousy bookend to all the good news from today. Pats win, Green Bay, JESTS, Giants and Ravens lose, and North Korea's Kim Jong IL is dead.

At least I have some bourbon left to soften the harsh news of Carter's injury.

DENVER -- Defensive end Andre Carter suffered an injury to his left leg late in the first quarter of Sunday's 41-23 win against Denver and did not return.

Carter's agent, Carl Poston, told ESPN's Josina Anderson that X-rays on his knee were negative and the early diagnosis "looks like Andre has a quad-related injury that will require surgery."

The team said Carter had a knee injury but provided no further details.

Read more:

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Could any of you phony MDs explain what a quad related injury entails? Thanks. It's all right, i have insurance.

Could any of you phony MDs explain what a quad related injury entails? Thanks. It's all right, i have insurance.

Umm...well. For starters it's an injury to the leg area and it most likely hurts.

And that's about it. Satisfied?

It's worse than a bi or a tri.

Umm...well. For starters it's an injury to the leg area and it most likely hurts.

And that's about it. Satisfied?

Belichick would have given me that much information. Thanks a lot.

A00294F02.jpg

is it a torn quad tendon?...or a torn quad muscle....anybody's guess

A00294F02.jpg

He was holding his top of the knee near his tendon. I hope he is ok but it doesn't look good.

If it's the tendon then they have operate as soon as they get the swelling down...probably withing the week I'd guess...but I'm no doctor

A quad tendon rupture is rare, (although tendon ruptures are becoming more frequent) if this is what happened hes out till next year.

Last edited:
I tore my bicept tendon this year, the choses were a)go in and drill through the bone and re-attach the tendon to the bone with a screw. or b) cut the tendon clean and just live with only having the tendon attached to the shoulder in one place. My ortho used to work for the Broncos and told me he did the same proceedure on Elway and he won the SB the next year. After he assured me that it would not affect my shooting, I went with option b.

The arm is better, a little weaker, but the recovery was only a week or so.

Of course, I'm not a pro, and this tendon looks to only attach in one place. If that is the case, then they are drilling through his femur to re-attach it, so he is gone for the year. Too bad, he was playing great.

I tore my bicept tendon this year, the choses were a)go in and drill through the bone and re-attach the tendon to the bone with a screw. or b) cut the tendon clean and just live with only having the tendon attached to the shoulder in one place. My ortho used to work for the Broncos and told me he did the same proceedure on Elway and he won the SB the next year. After he assured me that it would not affect my shooting, I went with option b.

The arm is better, a little weaker, but the recovery was only a week or so.

Of course, I'm not a pro, and this tendon looks to only attach in one place. If that is the case, then they are drilling through his femur to re-attach it, so he is gone for the year. Too bad, he was playing great.
Was your bicep tendon rupture proximal or distal, did it rupture where its attached up by the shoulder or down near the elbow? Theres a Big difference. I had a proximal bicep tendon rupture, (i specialize in ruptured tendons i've had Three :eek:) theres not a lot they can do, its mainly cosmetic, so it looks like you don't have a deficit, ( i didn't have the procedure done) where your bicep should be. Ted Johnson had a Distal Bicep rupture e.g. where the tendon is attached down near the elbow, those can be reattached and functional but it takes many months to recover.

Last edited:
Anderson isn't a back-up. They are both coming off the edge in pass situations.

This is like the Patriots equivalent of losing Freeney and then expecting Mathis to rush for both of them. Doesn't work that way.

bad choice of words on my part......should have said Anderson stepped up and filled the pass rushing roll like a Carter clone. I realize Anderson starts opposite Carter but it has been Carter who was having the better year at getting to the QB, not that Anderson was having a bad year mind you, just not as good IMHO. Then when Carter went down Anderson appeared to step up with I believe Eric Moore coming off the bench.

Huge loss but IMO Anderson has been the better pass rusher all season.He's played less and had more pressure in those snaps. He's a better pure pass rusher, but I don't think he can do all the things Carter does at DE. Hopefully Moore performs as well as he did after being signed late last season.

Hope he recovers fully and is back next year, he's been amazing for us.

Edit: If we go back the the 34 Anderson becomes pretty useless I think, he hasn't done anything in his career as an OLB as he? All of his good years came at DE, no? I might be confusing him for someone else, I know Carter failed as a OLB as well, I believe Anderson was the same exact story.

Anderson has rushed quite a bit out of the 2 point stance this year.. And did so yesterday..

Going to a 3-4 base doesn't mean Anderson becomes useless. It means he goes to the Nickle package where they typically go with a 2-4-5 look with Anderson lining up in the 2 point with either Ninkovich or Moore on the other side..

A00294F02.jpg

With the way that he grabbed the area, I'm gonna say it was a quad tendon tear just above the knee.. And that requires surgery to re-attach the tendon..

It's definitely a shame that this injury happened to him. A great guy having a solid year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back