Welcome to PatsFans.com

ANWAR Drilling Lowers Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Aug 6, 2008.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/06/news/economy/fuel/index.htm?cnn=yes

"Gasoline prices at the pump fell nationwide for the 20th straight day, pushing the average price down more than 25 cents, according to a survey of gas station credit card swipes released Wednesday.

Regular unleaded gas fell 0.9 cent to a nationwide average of $3.862 a gallon, according to a survey from motorist advocacy group AAA.

Prices hit a record high of $4.114 at the pump on July 16, according to AAA..."

Well..., looks like that new drilling we're doing in Alaska and the Gulf have finally caused the gas prices to come down. Whew! That was a close one! Looks like all that extra oil we got from the new drilling rules finally paid off. Took twenty days but it was worth it.

Ya see? It had nothing to do with speculation or market demand!

FU(K the CARIBOU!

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

It has to do with everything. We knew that oil was a little overbought but speculators aren't just price risers - they'll go short as quickly as they'll go long if there's money to be made. And we knew that if demand dropped prices would drop - but we also know that if supply rises prices will drop (all things being equal). Just because the price of oil has dropped to high (but not highest) prices does not mean we shouldn't be going after our own resources.

Like McCain, I'm for everything. Conservation. Increasing supply. Coal. Nuclear. Wind. Solar. And, again, increasing the supply of oil.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

Well the caribou love hanging out by the oil fields and the pipeline.

If you look at the price it started dropping whne Bush announced lifting the ban on offshore drilling the polls showed overwhelming support for offshore drilling and opening up ANWAR, that's what drove the speculators.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 3 / -10

ANWAR:
    A barren piece of frozen Tundra where the Deer and the Antelope play.

The Dingobat Democrats have chosen this as their own personal "Holy Ground" they lower their heads and bless themselves when the word "ANWAR" is mentioned.

I have come to the conclusion that the "New Democrats" are not of this world, I believe they are from some far off planet and that their "God" may lie beneath the frozen sod of ANWAR, waiting.

ANWAR is to the Dingobat Democrat what Jerusalem is to the Christian, this is the only answer I can think of to the question as to why these loons have chosen this frozen wasteland to worship out of all the beautiful places there are on this place we call "earth".

If the Oil starts to flow and the pipes are built the animals that inhabit the "Democrat Sacred Holy Land" will flourish and prosper, the Polar Bears will get fat on Pizza Crust, The Caribou will frolick and Jump over the Pipes, a new day will be born, if the Whore Monger Billy Blue Dress didn't Veto the first bill to drill the oil would be flowing now, today.

Reality:
    The real reason those f-cking nasty sore losing blubbering Dingobats don't want to drill is because the Neo Cons do want to drill.

Drill Anwar
    Build Nuke Plants
    Windmills off the shores of Cape Cod & Nantucket (f-ck kennedy/kerry)
    Build Solar Housing
    Dig The Coal

Tell the Scummy Arabs to shove their oil up their Head Hunting A$s Holes.

:bricks:

5. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I know you get my point.
    I disagree with you that we need to go after more oil and continue to burn fossil fuels. Let the Chinese and Indians do it. It's not like we can or would do anything about it. I'm opposed to it for moral reasons (pollution and related health impacts) and I know that we could do more to conserve energy, but we have no national plan. It's not just gasoline, either. We make too much crap out of plastic parts that we use then throw away. We use too many petroleum-based fertilizers in our soil (not to mention pesticides).

I'm as much against government intervention as you are, but any demand for the government to stay out of private affairs has to be weighed against the common health of the People. Even animals know that you don't sh!t where you eat. Our government will be subsidizing these oil exploration efforts very heavily, and as long as that's the case, that's the only justification I need to oppose those ventures.

6. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Lower demand for gasoline in the US had nothing to do with it?

So when do those drilling rigs go on line, again?

Just another political football designed to keep us distracted....

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

Supply and demand are 2 parts of the same equation, of course some of the lower demand is at the expense of a slower economy, I suppose if we had a depression demand would be really low.

The rpice dropped right away wehn the offshore executive order was rescinded. BTW Brazil is bring their offshore field online in the next 2 years why should we take 8 extra years to bring our resources online? The answer are the bureaucratic process put in place by congress, So we have congress complaining about the delay in getting resources online when they created the impediments.

Now they are big on solar, you might want to look into how toxic the solar panels are...worse than the CFC bulb fiasco.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

Yeah, the $3.86 I'm paying sure is a bargain. :rolleyes: Even better now, we won't have to hear people whining about heating their homes this winter with oil so cheap. The world is using less and less each year, so it should be cheap for years & years to come. Imagine how gitty we'll all be if it reaches $3.75! :woohoo:

9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +819 / 27 / -33

GAs was $1.46 a gallon when George took office, I know he has nothing to do with what happened..

10. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,952 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

.....and the fact that he was a Texas oilman, Cheney was an oil man with Halliburton, we are paying for Iraq's rebuilding with our record deficits and, today, it was reported that the Iraqi government has an $80 billion budget surplus sitting away in banks doing nothing but collecting cobwebs.

........but it's all Pelosi's fault.

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +780 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

And it was about $2.20 when the Democrats took control of Congress. It went up less than a dollar per gallon in Bush's first 6 years and more than $2 a gallon in Pelosi's congress's first 2 years. You pick your causation, I'll pick mine.

12. shmessy

Ratings:
    +2,952 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

You make it sound as if Bush handed over the reins of power in January 2007 and has been merely on vacation ever since while Pelosi runs the country.

Nice dream, BF.

By the way, once you wake up from that reverie, the razor thin (and not veto-proof) D majority in Congress has not been there "2 years" as you state.

13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +780 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I'm just stating the facts, interpret them as you wish. Gas prices barely beat inflation with Bush but without Pelosi (as speaker).

14. shmessy

Ratings:
    +2,952 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

".....in Pelosi's congress's first 2 years".

Facts? Two years = eighteen months? Ok, BF. I guess Al Qaeda being allied with Saddam makes sense to people who think of facts like that.

And, btw, gas prices increased more than TRIPLE the inflation rate during the first 6 years of Bush's Presidency (avg +7.8% versus avg +2.5%).

Anyhow, in December 2004, George W. Bush claimed that his re-election victory gave him a "mandate from the people, and I intend to spend it". Doesn't sound like a President who intended to take a backseat to a Speaker of the House (awesome power there!) within 25 months.

Facts? Okeedokee.

15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

From CNN MAy 2001:

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/05/17/bush.energy.plan/

H Reid and the dems filibustered the plan IE they did the same thing Pelosi is doing, they wouldn't allow a vote. IF this plan passed in 2001 energy prices would be lower.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +780 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

If you want to be stupid, fine. I was talking about the election which was about 21 months so I rounded.

You are correct but compared to the increase since then it's still a small increase.

It doesn't matter how he intended on spending it. You are the one who claims speculators are the be all and end all of gas prices (at least you were when you said McCain got "schooled" on gas prices) and the oil futures markets knew that the Granny would never allow drilling. A little cause and effect there ???

17. shmessy

Ratings:
    +2,952 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

So 18 months went to 24 months becasue you "rounded"?

How convenient. You gave the "reign of Pelosi" a 33% increase in tenure because of simple "rounding"? Facts are stubborn things as the saying goes. How seriously are we supposed to take your analysis on that?

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +780 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

For my argument it is irrelevant. 18 months, 24 months, 36 months, I don't care; I'm saying Before Granny and After Granny. Before Granny was a slow movement up, After Granny was a rapid movement up. You said it was 7.8% per year in the years Before Granny, I assume that's right; in the 18 months After Granny they've doubled, approximately. 100% increase in 18 months.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

Shorter timeframe makes the increase MORE dramatic stop digging when you're in a hole. BTW the markets could react to the election results befroe they actually start a particular session.

20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +780 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Which is why I referenced 21 months. In 90 days it will be two years since the Democrats won the House and we, and the markets, knew Granny Pelosi would become speaker and be able to, oh, I don't know, NOT ALLOW VOTES ON DRILLING FOR OIL.