PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antwain Spann

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecrazyeye

On the Roster
Reaction score
With Gay going on PUP is there any chance of Spann making the team? I never got to see him in NFL Europe. Did anyone get to see a lot of him? If so, what is is the opinion, is he a clear cut or did he show something in Europe.
Our depth at CB is pretty weak, so I think he has as much of a chance as anyone else after Hobbs and Samuel

"UL-LAFAYETTE (April 1st/March 10th) senior defensive back/return man ANTWAIN SPANN (#6) has drawn a lot of "Under-the-Radar" attention... has been timed in the mid-to-high 4.4 range... very athletic... played mostly free safety as a senior, but being evaluated mostly as a cornerback... aggressive... pretty good tackler for his size... also shows some explosiveness when given the chance to return kickoffs... recorded 68 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, four interceptions and nine pass breakups, as a senior... led the team with four interceptions, also returned one for a touchdown and averaged 22.2 yards on returns of those interceptions... averaged 27.2 yards per kickoff return in limited chances (four)... had six interceptions and 15 pass breakups over the past two years... scored a pair of touchdowns on turnovers... weighs 5112, 188 pounds... transferred from Mississippi Gulf Coast CC... California native. "

thecrazyeye said:
With Gay going on PUP is there any chance of Spann making the team? I never got to see him in NFL Europe. Did anyone get to see a lot of him? If so, what is is the opinion, is he a clear cut or did he show something in Europe.
Our depth at CB is pretty weak, so I think he has as much of a chance as anyone else after Hobbs and Samuel

Again - Gay could come off the PUP as early as this minute. This is just a precaution in case he has to go on the real PUP at the season's start. If that happens (HIGHLY unlikely), then we can start worrying about if Antwain Spann will make the team. He's at the bottom of the depth chart as it stands.

let's not confuse the pre-training camp PUP with regular season PUP

everyone is competing for a job

Last edited by a moderator:
thecrazyeye said:
ahh, my mistake
Gloomy realists aside...:D

Spann played well in NFLE, working into the rotation and eventually starting. He had three picks and a couple more dropped, often in big play situations near the goal line. He did play some Special Teams and did okay. He was hurt and missed some time, I'm not sure how healthy he is coming into camp, but the kid has a fighting chance for the Practice Squad.

NFLE players never make the roster. Rohan Davey was the only exception and he had already been on the roster and only lasted a year after NFLE. An assignment to NFLE by the Pats is the kiss of death

Another exception would be Adam V., who was a free agent signing out of NFLE as I recall. Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes