PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antrel Rolle: We'll Shut Down the Tight Ends, reveals Giants Game Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I made the observation here that there's no difference between the Jets and Giants when it comes to yapping. At Media Day yesterday, a reporter offered the same opinion to Tuck, who was clearly put off. He shouldn't have been, because it's the truth. In fact, they might be worse than the Jets in that regard.

Tuck was put off because he's thoughtful and actually has some class, unlike a number of his teammates. I'm not surprised that Tuck was put off.

Is it just me or does hitting Gronk at the line just sound like a dumb strategy. He's fast but not that fast, you can contain him in many ways. The last thing I want to do is get into his body so he can toss me aside like a rag doll, catch a pass and run 15 yards. I mean, TEs are not allowed to push off 10 yards downfield, and that's why you try to beat them to the spot. If you engage Gronk in the first 5 yards, you're just asking to be sloughed aside.

Good luck jamming Gronk, Antrel.

It would be funny if they tried Rolle.

I was watching NFLN this morning and they were rehashing the "worst defense ever to play in the Super Bowl" stuff. They showed a chart showing the "worst," by yards allowed of course.

Guess what: If the Patriots weren't in the Super Bowl, the 2011 GIANTS would have the distinction of "worst defense ever in the Super Bowl." Instead, they're "second worst." It was right there in the chart — and no one on the set mentioned it.

It's this crap that drives me nuts. I have a guy at work (nice enough guy, for a Giants fan), who actually said that "points don't matter" when evaluating a defense, because I pointed out that the Pats were four spots worse in yardage allowed, but 3.6 points/game better. He also said the regular season doesn't matter when evaluating a team.

Somehow, the Giants have morphed from a 7-7 team with a coach about to get canned, a bottom third defense in pts. allowed, the worst running game in the league, and a damn MINUS 6 point differential into the presumptive favorite that doesn't have any holes and has all the momentum (even though the Pats have won ten straight).

Makes...head...hurt...

It's this crap that drives me nuts. I have a guy at work (nice enough guy, for a Giants fan), who actually said that "points don't matter" when evaluating a defense, because I pointed out that the Pats were four spots worse in yardage allowed, but 3.6 points/game better. He also said the regular season doesn't matter when evaluating a team.

Somehow, the Giants have morphed from a 7-7 team with a coach about to get canned, a bottom third defense in pts. allowed, the worst running game in the league, and a damn MINUS 6 point differential into the presumptive favorite that doesn't have any holes and has all the momentum (even though the Pats have won ten straight).

Makes...head...hurt...

I have a similar friend who will argue until she's out of breath that the Giants are better because the "experts on tv" said so.

She doesn't like when I tell her that they purposely create controversy because TV is about ratings, not necessarily the truth.

Last edited:
In related news, George Armstrong Custer is confident that Sitting Bull will be back on the reservation by autumn (latest).

I keep hearing about the NYG defense and how it will stop the Patriots offense; the defensive line will constantly pressure Brady and they will keep the middle "cloudy". I hear that term a lot lately; "cloudy." I want to know how the Patriots offense, especially the passing game will defeat this "cloudy" middle of the field between the numbers.
The Patriots make their bread and butter in this area that will allegedly be "cloudy"; how do they attack that? Will Branch all of a sudden be a factor on those 8-12 yard comebacks?
I'm sick of hearing everything about the other team.....
People say the Pats will run to counter the NYG defense, but I highly doubt they will want to all of a sudden become a BJGE/Woodhead team and take the game out of their best player's hands. I've got to think they're trying to devise a scheme to PASS on this defense......what will it be?????

Last edited:
Guys like Rolle annoy me because so little of the Giants' success has anything to do with his contributions.

He's in the bottom half amongst DBs in this league.

Yeah, the reason a good receiving TE is incredibly difficult to defend is that you can't jam them like you can most receivers who roam the middle. Ask Ryan Kerrigan how easy it is to jam Gronk at the line. Hernandez is almost as strong and has the moves of the best WRs out there. Come out and run the ball, make them flinch against play action, and hope the defense doesn't leak like a sieve.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does hitting Gronk at the line just sound like a dumb strategy. He's fast but not that fast, you can contain him in many ways. The last thing I want to do is get into his body so he can toss me aside like a rag doll, catch a pass and run 15 yards. I mean, TEs are not allowed to push off 10 yards downfield, and that's why you try to beat them to the spot. If you engage Gronk in the first 5 yards, you're just asking to be sloughed aside.

This has to come with pressure on Tom to blow the short route timing.
Trying to bump these two TEs
will just put the dude on his heels, or back.

If Tom is clear, the spot cleared left or right of the
bump is open for a reception, as you say.

3 seconds. looking forward to the no huddle/shotgun/quick release.
D has barely enough time to read pass/run before the ball is delivered.
Will tire and mess up the Gmen's personnel, for the fun mismatches.

Thats funny. If I was him I'd be worried about Gronk stomping him. Why doesnt he ask Suggs about that stategy.

Last edited:
They didnt have this when they let vernon davis score on a 74 yard TD apparently.

WTF does that even mean? Does the offense not have a desire to score or not be shutdown?

Ignorant **** spouted by people that should know better.

Can Antrel Rolle cover??:confused:

So ok Antrel Rolle you guys are going to cover our Big Bad TE's...so who covers Welker?

He was a CB for the first 3-4 years in Arz. Then they moved him over to FS. Giants play him as a FS/Nickleback.

Oh so he like our Devin McCourty...a guy who cant play with his back to the QB.

So ok Antrel Rolle you guys are going to cover our Big Bad TE's...so who covers Welker?

Hey, and Deion Branch only needs 12 catches to tie Rice for the all-time SB record. :)

Last edited:
Antrel Rolle isn't worried about Rob Gronkowski, says NY Giants will stop Patriots' talented tight ends* - NY Daily News

In the article one of the Giants also says that they plan on jamming and being physical with Gronk and Hernandez. This is expected. The question is, can the pats do anything to counter? I'll let the experts on this board respond.

Guess that makes the Giants smarter than every other team that went up against the Pats. Ideally, it sounds like the right move, but it's not like Gronk and Hernandez line up like a normal TE in a 3-point stance every time. And if you are gonna have your safeties up on the line, it doesn't take a speed demon at WR to get open downfield.

Can Antrel Rolle cover??:confused:

Rolle was considered to be a bust as a corner with Arizona because he couldn't cover. He managed to resurrect his career as a decent safety but think back to that game against the Cowboys when Dez Bryant was wide open for a long TD in December - if I recall correctly it was Rolle who was burnt on that play.

As for his declarations and predictions, Rolle also guaranteed a year ago that the Giants would beat the Packers in a game Green Bay won 45-17.

Antrel Rolle guarantees playoffs for Giants … again – Audibles

After the Giants imploded in Week 15 last year — you remember that one, right? The infamous “Holy crap, they punted to DeSean Jackson” game? — safety Antrel Rolle guaranteed that New York would go into Green Bay and win in Week 16.

“I don’t think it, I know it,” Rolle said at the time. “That’s because that’s what’s going to happen. I know it’s going to happen this weekend. I have no doubt. I said it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen.”

It didn’t happen.

The Giants turned the ball over six times en route to a 45-17 loss, which led to them missing the playoffs, while the Packers claimed a wild-card spot and went on to win the Super Bowl.

Nope. They're doomed...DOOMED!

Dang...I was hoping the Giants wouldn't have a defensive game plan.

Looks like they have us all figured out. You're right...DOOMED !

Attachments

• doom.jpg
    doom.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 236
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back