PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antrel Rolle signs with Giants - 5 years, $37M ($15M GTD) - highest ever for safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Per Schefter on Twitter.

Re: OT: Antrel Rolle signs with Giants - 5 yr/$37 Million (15M GTD)

Good. At least he isn't going to the Dolphins.

Heh @ Darnell Dockett's Twitter

Man I'm bout to CRY! ! Birdgang is over now its like "torn feathers" watching dansby get ready to go is tough! I need a DRANK! A double thx. First Calvin pace, then antonio smith, now dansby and rolle.!! This could of been a real NAsty Defense and we are all young! I'm crying Now. I'm not watching NO MORE NFL FREE AGENT TALK, I'm done !!!! This is depressing!! #RIP-BIRDGANG. What a day! I'm gonna Retire!!! I shouldn't love something that won't love u back!!-> 1st the fat boys break up then the ROC, now Birdgang! I just talked to Antrell Rolle!! And I already know what's about to happen, mann I'm speechless I'm going to Bed. I'm done with twitter BYE! Shoutout to all the NFL teams that's spending money to get better! The rams go after Mc Nabb, 49ers got 2 1st rd picks, seattle trying to get WR Marshall and TE watson! Mann! *tapping my feet* *rollingeyes*

That's pretty close to Wilfork's deal. Rolle is good and plays what is perhaps a more high profile position, but I think that is more than Rolle is worth.

Re: Antrel Rolle signs with Giants - 5 years, $37M ($15M GTD) - highest ever

Highest ever what?:confused:

Highest ever what?:confused:

Contract for a safety. Sorry, I couldn't fit it in the thread title.

Re: Antrel Rolle signs with Giants - 5 years, $37M ($15M GTD) - highest ever for safe

Polamalu signed a 4 year (2008-2011) $30.19M extension with $15M guaranteed...in 2007. I think a lot of agents are trying like crazy to spin big gains in uncapped FA that are really more a mirage. Will be interesting to see what the actual terms of some of these deals are...when they surface in a couple of weeks. Remember the gold standard is three year take or first two take or guaranteed money (being half or more of the contract value)...

Even Vince's deal wasn't a blockbuster no matter how they want to spin it... The deal that was rumored was going to pay him $29M over 3 years with $23M guaranteed...that's just a hair below $10M per. Instead he got $40/5 or $8M AAV and only $2M more in guaranteed money for 2 more years?? AD got $20M in signing and option bonus on a 5/$35M deal in 2007...And Peppers couldn't better Haynesworth's 2009 deal??

Contract for a safety. Sorry, I couldn't fit it in the thread title.

I was thinking corner, and that wouldn't be big money, but apparently he's switched.

Don't know much about him, but 208 is heavier than most corners.

Re: Antrel Rolle signs with Giants - 5 years, $37M ($15M GTD) - highest ever for safe

The Giants just threw a ******ed amount of money at a SAFETY! 7M plus per year?? WTF? This makes no sense. And it's not like Rolle is even an Ed Reed or Polamalu caliber safety. The reckless spending is getting out of hand in the NFL.

The Giants just threw a ******ed amount of money at a SAFETY! 7M plus per year?? WTF? This makes no sense. And it's not like Rolle is even an Ed Reed or Polamalu caliber safety. The reckless spending is getting out of hand in the NFL.

Got to wait and see what the actual contract terms are, and not agent spin. He's only guaranteed (and that word can be somewhat nebulous) $15M on a 5 year deal whereas Polamalu was guaranteed that much on a 4 year deal - and it actually represented 50% of his deal.

I was thinking corner, and that wouldn't be big money, but apparently he's switched.

Don't know much about him, but 208 is heavier than most corners.

He was drafted as a corner, but switched because he was too big and he plays better facing the ball.

It will be interesting to see if the Giants defensive decline can really be reversed like this. The loss of Strahan has seemingly been the lynchpin, because the DBs can't cover when that line's not harassing the opponent QB. I'm not sure that Rolle changes the situation all that much.

Giants are turning into the New York Mets. Paying through the teeth & nose for mediocrity.

Giants are turning into the New York Mets. Paying through the teeth & nose for mediocrity.

Would those be the jets that made the playoffs?

Would those be the jets that made the playoffs?

SPONSOR_817278_335074_43.gif

Zing..! :)

Last edited:

This is reminding me of free agent periods back a few years. Throw in all the attractive RFAs and i think this will end up a buyers market later.

We used to play this game quite well, let teams make a splash, spend their cash and players not too different in quality from the big deals become available.

Big splash teams are tapped out, plus most teams have spots filled with FAs, and they need to cut people to make room.

While we need a couple impact players on the D front seven and maybe one big talent at receiver, we also need role players at LB, receiver and TE at least.

Let them shop at Neiman Marcus. We'll shop at big lots and get the same merchandise marked down. We still have 4 picks in two rounds, you know.

Last edited:

Giants are going for the NFCE Ridiculous Spending Championship. Snyder and Jones make for some tough competition, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes