PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antonio Bryant Likely to Make it to FA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't he have an attitude problem in Dallas?

he must have had his head on straight under Romeo this year - 69 catches for 1009yds. That's a pretty darn good year for weak offense like Cleveland, plus he's about the same age as Givens and a couple inches taller. Even though he's had better stats ( http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302179 ) than DG he'll probably be cheaper since he's coming from the Browns. Perception is everything...

I say sign him up.

He had a few (one for sure) run ins with Parcells but there was no report of any problem in Cleveland.

Supposedly Belichick wanted to draft Bryant and "settled" for Branch when Dallas took Bryant just before us. Supposedly, who knows for sure.

Well he's certainly out produced Givens over their first four regular seasons with nobody who could enter the HOF without buying a ticket to throw to him so....

His attitude problem in Dallas apparently was a not enough throws thing (which could be mitigated given the QB circumstances) and he had fumblitis as a rookie which probably put him in Tuna's dog house, so Dallas and Cleveland swapped unhappy WR's. Supposedly he's been a team player since, and stuck in Cleveland that probably wasn't that much easier to be. He won the Beiltnikoff Trophy as the best WR coming out of college. Pittsburgh says they may be interested if they lose Randal El.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
I say sign him up.
It depends on the money, of course, but he's more of a 1b WR like Branch than Givens IMO. Bryant's hands aren't as reliable as Givens' and he's supposed to be more of a quirky personality but he's more athletic and quick (not pure speed). Branch, Bryant, Watson and Graham is my dream WR/TE group. (reasonable dream, of course).

MoLewisrocks said:
Pittsburgh says they may be interested if they lose Randal El.
Unless the money's different a WR would be crazy to choose Pittsburgh over NE. In 2005 the Patriots outthrew Pittsburgh 564 to 379. And in 2004 when we had a strong Dillon we outthrew them to 485 to 358.

FBGratings.com:

PLAYER NOTES LOG:

Jan 20 2006 - WR Antonio Bryant caught 69 passes for 1,009 yards to lead the Browns, but he also dropped several key passes, and those drops weigh in the decision on whether to re-sign him. The Browns say they want him and Bryant says he wants to return.

Jan 4 2006 - WR Antonio Bryant becomes a free agent. The Browns are non-committal about re-signing him, but Braylon Edwards' torn ACL means they might be forced to re-sign Bryant.

Dec 28 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant will be playing his last game with the Browns under his current contract. He said he wants to return, but he isn't sure of the Browns' plans.

Dec 25 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant is going to have difficulty reaching his goal of 1,000 yards receiving. He caught five passes for 50 yards against Pittsburgh, giving him 886 yards.

Dec 20 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant had his customary drop against the Raiders but also had a team-high 86 yards on five other catches.

Dec 18 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant caught five passes for 86 yards Sunday at Oakland and has a career-best 836 yards.

Dec 12 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant was noticeably angry when the Browns could not get a fourth-quarter touchdown after moving to a first down at the 12-yard-line. "That's a missed opportunity," Bryant said.

Dec 6 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant is not helping his pending free agency with his dropped passes. He had another one against Jacksonville, and has 47 catches this season. That projects to about 60 for the year. As a No. 1 receiver, Bryant has shown he'd be a solid No. 2.

Dec 4 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant dropped two more passes against Jacksonville, one inside the 10. He has seven drops this season.

Nov 29 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant had another drop against Minnesota. Bryant then said he wasn't able to get into the game until the second quarter, presumably because he wasn't thrown any passes until then.

Nov 21 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant bounced back from a bad game in Pittsburgh to play well against Miami. Bryant had four catches for 60 yards and was wide open in the end zone for a touchdown, but QB Trent Dilfer missed him.

Nov 14 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant let his frustration get the best of him after the game. Speaking on the Browns' flagship radio station, Bryant said Pittsburgh knows it can't cover him, Braylon Edwards or Dennis Northcutt. Pittsburgh won the game going away.

Nov 13 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant caught five passes for 82 yards, but his fumble led to a Pittsburgh field goal.

Nov 2 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant had a strong game after he had struggled against Detroit. Bryant had 98 yards receiving and came within inches of catching the game-winning touchdown pass in the fourth quarter.

Oct 31 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant said he would have scored a touchdown had he not been dragged down on a pattern by Phillip Buchanon. Bryant said he cleanly beat Buchanon, but if he were Buchanon he'd have done the same thing.

Oct 30 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant has been a focus of a possible shakeup, but he caught four passes for 98 yards against the Texans. He has also dropped five passes in 2005. Three of them were in critical situations -- one in the end zone in Indianapolis, one on second down against the Ravens and one on third down late in the game against the Lions. The Browns lost all three games. He did not drop a pass against Houston. "I think the timing of his drops hasn't been what we want," Crennel said. "I think I can say that for the offense and for the team. You put yourself in a situation where you have to make a play. You need to make one play. If you don't make that one play it gets magnified. I think that's happening quite a bit with us."

Oct 26 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant's starting job is safe for now. He has dropped three critical passes in the last four games.

Oct 26 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant's starting job is safe for now. He has dropped three critical passes in the last four games.

Oct 25 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant's drops are hurting the Browns badly. Bryant dropped a potential first-down throw on third-and-16 that would have at least set up a game-tying field goal attempt.

Oct 24 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant lamented a key drop of a third-down pass in the fourth period that may have moved the Browns at least into position to tie the game. But Bryant has had key drops the past two weeks, and he'll never be considered a top-level receiver.

Oct 17 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant remains inconsistent. Bryant dropped a catchable pass in the fourth period that could have gotten the Browns going on a drive. Bryant makes some catches, but misses others.

Oct 3 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant needs to show the same talents in the regular season that he showed in preseason. In practice games and training camp, Bryant was nearly unstoppable. Through three games, he's most remembered for the pass he didn't catch in the end zone against Indianapolis.

Sep 27 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant had seven catches against Indianapolis, but two costly drops. Until Bryant makes the big catches he will not be considered among the league's elite receivers.

Sep 26 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant said at one point of a strong training camp that when a game ended he wanted people to think he was the best receiver on the field. Against the Colts, Bryant caught seven passes, but dropped two. One cost the Browns a first down -- though they were able to make it up. The other came in the end zone, when Bryant was sandwiched between Nick Harper and Bob Sanders. Making those catches and not making them is the difference between the good receivers and the elite.

Sep 13 2005 - WR Antonio Bryant was little factor in the season opener and still needs to get over a hump. Bryant can look so good in practice, but in games he sometimes disappears or makes a mistake.

INJURY REPORT:

Oct 11 2004 - WR Antonio Bryant, who was carried off the field with an apparent ankle injury on the last play of the game, will be fine, according to Cowboys coach Parcells.

Not to nitpick on one of our golden children, but Mr. Givens has a few memorable drops himself.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Not to nitpick on one of our golden children, but Mr. Givens has a few memorable drops himself.
He and Branch both had a few more drops than I expected this year, although they both have good hands.

The major knock on Bryant coming out of college was charature issues. I don't hink tha he has done anyhting since he's been in the NFL to change that.

Not a Patriots type of player. I don't care what his stats are. It would be much better to sign Givens than to bring this guy in.

BelichickFan said:
He had a few (one for sure) run ins with Parcells but there was no report of any problem in Cleveland.

Supposedly Belichick wanted to draft Bryant and "settled" for Branch when Dallas took Bryant just before us. Supposedly, who knows for sure.

He threw a towel at Parcells' face in front of the whole team.

I don't call that a "run-in".

I'm relieved he didn't axe murder anyone or even throw a cuss word in RAC's direction. The Browns needs are somewhat different, as is there offensive situation That's why they needed Andruzzi while we didn't. Of course if the Seahawks let Jurevicious get away they will regret it - what they need is more WR who actually catch catchable balls, and that is where he excels.

Here are Football Outsiders WR rankings for 2005. By their system too Bryant and Jurevicious outperformed David. Finneran didn't, but as they indicate they are unable to fully seperate the WR's performance from his QB's either. Not that I wouldn't love to have Givens back at a price BB is comfortable with though.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr.php

I'd much rather have Givens, if the money was right. Bryant basically got kicked off the Cowboys. I don't even think that he's that good of a reciever. I'd pass on him.

WR's and CB's tend to be highstrung - it's part of what makes them able to do what they do well. Some players respond to Tuna's reverse psychology (like Glen and MeShawn) but I wouldn't forever hold it against a kid who bristled under it. Who the hell was QB'ing the Cowboys back then anyway? Maybe that was what Bryant was frustrated over when he threw in the towel. All I know is he's 6'2", 25 years old and caught 69 passes for 1009 yards from Trent Dilfer.

I wouldn't mind adding any of the three talked about alternatives to the mix along with retaining Givens, but realistically someone may have to replace David without the world ending.

Bryant had 14 drops last year?

That is a ridiculous amount.

Last edited:
14 drops is certainly too many. I guess it would depend on the drops. Does he have pure bad hands. Or were they due to things that could be worked on like bad technique. If he is what he is, one drop a game is too much. But if half the drops are from, say, allowing the ball into his body instead of catching with his hands, that can be improved.

It also blows to see another team talking about Givens but I guess I'd better get used to it. I'll say it one last time, Franchise him and try to trade him. If not it gives us a little power in the situation to get a long term deal done.

MoLewisrocks said:
WR's and CB's tend to be highstrung - it's part of what makes them able to do what they do well.
He's also not even turned 25 yet. With Watson signed for 4 more years, if we could sign Bryant we would be half way to a really good, young receiving corps with Branch and Graham yet to be signed. Alternately I wouldn't be shocked if we draft one of the big TE this year in the second round if we can't afford to put the money into Graham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back