PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Antoine Cason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At #7? That's even more ludicrous than your previous example.

It shouldnt matter if its number 7 or number 97. If Cason can provide the most immediate help which I believe he can, at a position that really needs it. Why not?

It wouldn't be the first time.

It shouldnt matter if its number 7 or number 97. If Cason can provide the most immediate help which I believe he can, at a position that really needs it. Why not?

It wouldn't be the first time.

If he can be had at #97, then you pick him at #97 that's why. It's called draft VALUE. A term that BB was heard repeating like a mantra in his pre-draft press conference.

It's like saying, well that punter can REALLY help our team because Hanson sucks. And I know we can draft him at pick #120, but this punter fills a position of need and can provide immediate help to our team so lets use pick #7 on him!!! :bricks: Your strong feelings on this issue are respectfully noted, as I understand that Cason is your binky... but try to keep your arguments somewhat reasonable.

Last edited:
If he can be had at #97, then you pick him at #97 that's why. It's called draft VALUE. A term that BB was heard repeating like a mantra in his pre-draft press conference.

It's like saying, well that punter can REALLY help our team because Hanson sucks. And I know we can draft him at pick #120, but this punter fills a position of need and can provide immediate help to our team so lets use pick #7 on him!!! :bricks: Your strong feelings on this issue are respectfully noted, as I understand that Cason is your binky... but try to keep your arguments somewhat reasonable.

This coming from the guy who was crying for Darren McFadden, and had a milk carton with Maroney as the featured missing person in his signature?

For anyone else wondering, I wouldn't take Antoine Cason with the 7th overall pick, but I do think he's a mid to late first round option for the Patriots, and I don't think he'll make it to the Patriots selection at 62nd overall.

Also, while Antoine didn't completely "wow them" at the Combine, he did put up good numbers, and performed better than DRC, McKelvin, Jenkins, and Talib in the following areas:

Bench press - 20 reps, Jenkins comes in second of the group with 18.
Short Shuttle - 4.08, McKelvin's was the second best of the group at 4.10.

His 36" (PD) vertical wasn't far off from DRC's 37.5" (PD) vertical, he has better size than either Jenkins or McKelvin, and he posted better broad jump numbers than either Jenkins or McKelvin, as well.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take Antoine Cason with the 7th overall pick, but I do think he's a mid to late first round option for the Patriots, and I don't think he'll make it to the Patriots selection at 62nd overall.

See thats where I think people make a mistake. It shouldnt matter what pick it is if the player available, like perhaps Cason, can step right in and be effective in a position that desperately needs help.

See thats where I think people make a mistake. It shouldnt matter what pick it is if the player available, like perhaps Cason, can step right in and be effective in a position that desperately needs help.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't believe his value to the Patriots is quite that high. If they trade down (and I believe they just might), then his value starts coming into play. You need to realize that I don't think any CB in this draft would be good value at 7th overall, so this isn't simply an opinion I formed in regard to Cason, but the entire draft class.

Listen, taking Cason at #7 is dumb, at the back end of the First Round or early second is great. Somewhat reminds me of Eugene Wilson at Illinois. Cason is going to be a terrific pro, and quite possibly the best corner to come out of this draft. However, taking him in the Top 10 is a big mistake.

Last edited:
Listen, taking Cason at #7 is dumb, at the back end of the First Round or early second is great. Somewhat reminds me of Eugene Wilson at Illinois. Cason is going to be a terrific pro, and quite possibly the best corner to come out of this draft. However, taking him in the Top 10 is a big mistake.

Here's the problem I have with drafting 'value'. Suppose we just cant get another team to deal with us to trade down to the teens-20s of the 1st round. We're essentially stuck at 7. And considering the FO agrees with you that Cason is going to be a "terrific pro and quite possibly the best corner" in the draft, and corner is definitely a position theyre looking to add talent. How on earth is that a BIG MISTAKE? Adding a quality pro, the best at a very deep position in the draft, is a mistake? Not a second can I buy that logic. Drafting a player of 'value' that doesnt become a terrific player would be a mistake. lets keep this drafting thing simple. We get a player, its great. We dont, its not. No matter where the get picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back