PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anticipating the next cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazinPats

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Lots of speculation on the forum regarding picking up Randy Moss or Jerry Porter or any of the three receivers who visited this week. There is also speculation about picking up another defensive back. But what about the other side of the coin? Who are we likely to cut if we are to pick up someone?

1. I would imagine Patrick Pass is a goner once he exits PUP.

2. Do we cut Spann or put him back on the practice squad? I think we still have one open spot left there.

3. I would look at dumping either Jonathan Sullivan of Maquise Hill. I suspect that the team will hang on to Sullivan, and that Hill would be the likely one to go between the two.

I'm surprised that we're still hanging on to Hill and that Mru would have been cut. I'd take Mru as we might need his versatility. Whose to backup Koppen if he's injured, besides Hochstein? Maybe we could trade Hock and resign Mru. I think we have a better chance of getting better trade value for Hock given his history of starts.

Who do you guys think will likely be cut if we are to pick up another player or two?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The likelihood of either Moss or Porter coming to town is barely above ZERO.

I won't be surprised if the Pats make a minor move (activating Bam, etc.), but it's not going to be anything major.

If Moss gets traded, he's going to Jacksonville.

1) I know you weren't around for the infamous "Pass" won't be cut thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=36057

So you may not know my sentiments on Pass.

In short - no, he isn't a goner once he's eligible to come back in a few weeks.

Quite simply, Heath has done virtually nothing this season to show he's worthy of sticking around. His explosiveness that he had against Miami and New Orleans last year is nowhere to be seen in the limited time he's seen thus far, behind a better OL. Mills isn't going anywhere, so it's Heath who will be shown the door.

2) It looks like the team is playing the Spann-Mrucz-Bam game each week, simply depending upon which position (WR, OL, or DB) is needed the most. Since DB has the injury problems, Spann is sticking around.

3) Marquise Hill would be picked up in a heartbeat if he got cut. It's no secret that he's been behind friggin' Richard Seymour and Ty Warren - both 1st round picks - and hasn't even had a chance to show off his potential. Therefore, teams would be lining up simply for the potential of his 2nd round status.

But on the otherhand, you may think the same with Sullivan, but he's had his chance and blown it. His troubles with the law are much acclaimed.

So if the Pats want to cut somebody who has a reasonable chance of still being there if later down the road they need him back, the logical cut would be Sullivan.

3b) Why in the world would they trade Hochstein? Koppen could be gone after this year, and they just signed Hochstein to an extension. It's no secret the team loves the guy after XXXVIII. There are very few G/C backups in the league like Hochstein.

They have, are, and will get away with cutting Mruc. It's illogical to have him on the roster and be inactive every week (since no team is going to keep 5 G/C active) when they can just stash him on their shadow roster.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Quite simply, Heath has done virtually nothing this season to show he's worthy of sticking around. His explosiveness that he had against Miami and New Orleans last year is nowhere to be seen in the limited time he's seen thus far, behind a better OL. Mills isn't going anywhere, so it's Heath who will be shown the door.
Actually, I have to agree with you here. Heath hasn't done crap. We've got Corey to be the big north/south runner. Pass has a lot more wiggle and is a heck of a lot more versataile. Heath might be in trouble here, but I bet he'll be picked up by another team.

pats1 said:
They have, are, and will get away with cutting Mruc. It's illogical to have him on the roster and be inactive every week (since no team is going to keep 5 G/C active) when they can just stash him on their shadow roster.

They released Murc sometime last week. Flew under the radar on this board. Remember seeing it in the paper.

pats1 said:

Plus, they have backup guards stashed on the practice squad, especially Billy Yates who is being paid $425,000 to be ready to move up should Neal, Koppen, or Mankins get injured.

I think they like Hill's size-speed-athleticism combo too much to cut him quite yet. They'll be patient for (at least) another year.

Heath has garnered quite a bit of praise from BB and his teammates this season - as well as some analysts whose opinions I respect. While he hasn't been all that hot as a runner, he was springing blocks for Maroney a LOT last week. There have been a few stories on this, actually - or at least where it was mentioned - surprised you guys haven't seen them.

I thought that they only have 52 on the roster. Pats1?

amazinPats said:
2. Do we cut Spann or put him back on the practice squad? I think we still have one open spot left there.
3. I would look at dumping either Jonathan Sullivan of Maquise Hill. I suspect that the team will hang on to Sullivan, and that Hill would be the likely one to go between the two.
I'm surprised that we're still hanging on to Hill and that Mru would have been cut. I'd take Mru as we might need his versatility. Whose to backup Koppen if he's injured, besides Hochstein? Maybe we could trade Hock and resign Mru. I think we have a better chance of getting better trade value for Hock given his history of starts.
Who do you guys think will likely be cut if we are to pick up another player or two?
As for 1----I think it depends on the health of the RB situation..if all is like it is now, he could be IRed or cut...but an ankle or knee and he might be the reinforcenemnt needed.
2----With the injuries in the backfield, I agree SPann stays..He's injured as well now. I like him and think he may be a goo backup some day. Yes, if everyone is heathy he could be cut and PSqded...
3----I think they need depth if they go 4-3. Hill will stay at least until they either see progress or feel that there won't be any. Sullivan is likely to stay as well.
As to who may go, I think it depends on what is needed where..OL?? LB? DB? As was said, it shiifts around from week to week depending on injuroes and who they are playing.

Mike the Brit said:
I thought that they only have 52 on the roster. Pats1?

Nope, Iwuoma made 53.

They do have 1 open spot on the practice squad, though.

Here's how things have gone since the final cuts:

-53 + 6 Psq.-

---Bam cut, Smith signed, Bam to Psq.---

-53 + 7 Psq.-

---O'Sullivan to Psq.---

-53 + 8 Psq.-

---Smith cut, Bam activated---

-53 + 7 Psq.-

---Smith signed, Bam cut, Bam to Psq.---

-53 + 8 Psq.-

---Gay to IR, Poteat signed---

-53 + 8 Psq.-

---Spann activated, Mruczkowski cut---

-53 + 7 Psq.-

---Smith and O'Sullivan cut---

-52 + 6 Psq.-

---Iwuoma and Bubin signed---

-53 + 7 Psq.

Last edited:
I say we trade Hill to Indy for their #1. I know they have Klecko, but with Simon gone that won't be enough.

PATSNUTme said:
They released Murc sometime last week. Flew under the radar on this board. Remember seeing it in the paper.

Yeah, that was buried in the Spann activation thread.

I did know that, though (Hence the 'Pats are getting away with cutting Mruc') ;)

Last edited:
amazinPats said:
Lots of speculation on the forum regarding picking up Randy Moss or Jerry Porter or any of the three receivers who visited this week. There is also speculation about picking up another defensive back. But what about the other side of the coin? Who are we likely to cut if we are to pick up someone?

I think there will be a couple of roster updates during the bye week. Overall the roster is pretty much set, not a lot of dead weight especially on the 45 game day roster.

Here are my 100% guesses.

Possible scenarios
  • I don't anticipate a trade but anything can happen, maybe a team that is out of contention trades for a future draft pick.
  • I could see a Spann for Ahmad Carroll switch, if Spann clears waivers we would put him back on the practice squad.
  • If Kaczur doesn't get healthy soon I could see him being put on the IR.
  • If the right player was available Sullivan or Hill could be cut, as could Andrews who is relative unknown outside of NE and a 7th round pick.
  • Otherwise I think it depends on injuries, if a starter gets a season ending injury or any of the fringe players gets banged up then they will be sent to the IR. Depending on the position a street free agent will be brought in.

Some good points in this thread. 1. In highest likelihood, somebody or other will be IRed, creating roster room. The poorer the player, the faster the IR trigger generally is. 2. Evans' lead blocking has been valuable this season. And while he's had some trouble on short-yardage carries, so has Dillon, even in the same series of downs. 3. In general, it's not the guys who're active for the games who should be looked at as cut bait It's the healthy scratches who are most vulnerable.

PATSNUTme said:

Mruczkowski was cut to add Spann to the roster. It didn't fly under the radar. It was talked about in the thread where they were talking about Spann being added. I know of at least 3 posts that mentioned it. One of them being mine. And all I was doing was repeating 2 other posters.

cstjohn17 said:
I think there will be a couple of roster updates during the bye week. Overall the roster is pretty much set, not a lot of dead weight especially on the 45 game day roster.

Here are my 100% guesses.

Possible scenarios
  • I don't anticipate a trade but anything can happen, maybe a team that is out of contention trades for a future draft pick.
  • I could see a Spann for Ahmad Carroll switch, if Spann clears waivers we would put him back on the practice squad.
This could be an option, though I don't think so. The Pats could have added Carroll instead of Iwouma.
cstjohn17 said:
  • If Kaczur doesn't get healthy soon I could see him being put on the IR.
Since you missed it, Kaczur played during last week's game when they took Britt out for a couple of series.
cstjohn17 said:
  • If the right player was available Sullivan or Hill could be cut, as could Andrews who is relative unknown outside of NE and a 7th round pick.
Willie Andrews isn't going to be cut. He's a MAJOR reason why the Pats punt coverage is doing so amazingly well. And he's a reason why the kick coverage is limiting opposing teams to starting at the 21 yard line. I'm not sure that Hill or Sullivan would be cut. The Pats could cut Pierre Woods.

cstjohn17 said:
  • Otherwise I think it depends on injuries, if a starter gets a season ending injury or any of the fringe players gets banged up then they will be sent to the IR. Depending on the position a street free agent will be brought in.
I think that the Pats will be looking at Kevin Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised if they signed him Monday with Spann being cut and sent to the Practice squad.

DaBruinz said:
[/LIST]This could be an option, though I don't think so. The Pats could have added Carroll instead of Iwouma.
[/LIST]Since you missed it, Kaczur played during last week's game when they took Britt out for a couple of series.
[/LIST]Willie Andrews isn't going to be cut. He's a MAJOR reason why the Pats punt coverage is doing so amazingly well. And he's a reason why the kick coverage is limiting opposing teams to starting at the 21 yard line. I'm not sure that Hill or Sullivan would be cut. The Pats could cut Pierre Woods.

I think that the Pats will be looking at Kevin Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised if they signed him Monday with Spann being cut and sent to the Practice squad.
All makes sense to me. With regards to Kaczur, I swore I saw him come out of the Bengal game. I don't think his "shoulder", or whatever it is, is healing quickly enough and I think he took a setback last week. They will use the bye week to confirm this. I hope I am wrong, Light, O'Callahan, Kaczur and Britt is a pretty nice set of tackles.

MY TAKE

1) The decision on Pass is several weeks from now. A lot can happen between now and then.

2) Spann was signed to play Special Teams. Iwouma was signed to play Special Teams and as our future speical teams captain. Spann can now go back to the Practice Squad where he can be an emergency corner. There is little advantage of him being on the 53.

3) There are many possibility for trades or free agent signings. Corner and wide receiver seem most likely. We can wait and see. Carroll has much more of a chance of contributing than Spann.

4) We are keeping an extra defensive lineman. However, I think we'll keep them since they are all potential starters, and there are no free agents or Practice Squad players who could step in if there is an injury. bb decided long ago not to risk losing Levon by cutting him and hope he makes the Practice Squad.

5) The BOTTOM LINE is that we are in great shape and the FO is looking at a couple of additional tweaks to improve the roster.

MY TAKE

1) The decision on Pass is several weeks from now. A lot can happen between now and then.

2) Spann was signed to play Special Teams. Iwouma was signed to play Special Teams and as our future speical teams captain. Spann can now go back to the Practice Squad where he can be an emergency corner. There is little advantage of him being on the 53.

3) There are many possibility for trades or free agent signings. Corner and wide receiver seem most likely. We can wait and see. Carroll has much more of a chance of contributing than Spann.

4) We are keeping an extra defensive lineman. However, I think we'll keep them since they are all potential starters, and there are no free agents or Practice Squad players who could step in if there is an injury. bb decided long ago not to risk losing Levon by cutting him and hope he makes the Practice Squad.

5) The BOTTOM LINE is that we are in great shape and the FO is looking at a couple of additional tweaks to improve the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes