Welcome to PatsFans.com

anti-gun activist is schooled by cop

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IllegalContact, Aug 23, 2012.

1. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 30 / -34

2. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +103 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

I saw this yesterday. Great job by the police officer and a massive fail for the idiot who was trying to bait the police.

Can't believe the guy posted the video as it makes him look like a tool!

On a personal note: Kudos to the North Andover police officer who literally pushed my car out of an intersection this morning when it broke down.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Why is that every other word you hear from ass holes on both sides Lib & Con is 'constitution my rights' this cop showed this guy up to be just what he is, a trouble making moron.

I am a Pro Gun Man, this guy is s friggin jerk.

I wonder what effect it would have on the Creepy Criminals to see more people walking around with one of those things hanging off their shoulder.

4. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Saw this on barstool. Thought the cop was great throughout the whole interaction, and as others have said, we could use more cops like him.

I agree with gainzo also in that it makes the kid going to for the aha gotcha look like an @$$hat.

I still don't understand what the kid was attempting to gain by walking down the street, purposefully, with a gun which looks similar to a fully auto MP5, other than to bait the cop. Epic backfire.

Kudos to the cops.

Top Notch! Top Notch!

5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

maybe because constitutional rights are important?

6. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 30 / -34

how close are we to the notion of the 'abuse of a constitutional right'?

in this instance, what even the point the kid was trying to make?

7. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

That was my question to my wife last night when we looked at it on barstool.

What was he attempting to do?

From what I could gather, he has a .22 caliber gun, which requires no special license to carry, but the gun itself is made to look like a fully auto MP5, which, as the cop notes, you would need a special license for.

I guess the point was he was trying to bait a cop into "arresting" him to show how his second amendment right to own a gun (in this case a .22 non full auto replica) were being violated.

My question is....why would anyone walk down the street, in broad day light, with a gun strapped around their neck? And why would the person expect a cop to not stop and "investigate"?

Seems too wild wild west for me.

Own any gun you want (I guess, I personally dont understand how you hunt with an machine gun), but there is a time and a place for them no?

8. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +103 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

That is what I was thinking as well. Some other gun owner could have seen him, thought he was a threat, and shot him.

9. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

In the video? Not at all.

In general? happens all the time.

But my issue is w/folks like harry who pretend to be "patriotic" when it suits them yet regularly turn around and ***** on the Constitution and the notion of rights when they don't like the people in question or whatever they're arguing for.

Apparently 2nd amendment and open carry (which must be legal in ohio or wherever they were)

On the one hand, the kid sounded a bit douche-y, but he probably needs to do that given the way some policemen handle themselves, especially regarding being recorded. (Plus, he's carrying a pretty menacing looking weapon so it's probably a good idea for him to communicate that he's doing this to make some political point and he's not some guy looking to kill a cop or rob somebody.)

10. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 30 / -34

I disagree......they guys presence out on the sidewalk with an automatic weapon was to prove a point.......given how it worked out, it was an abuse of 2 consitutional amendments which resulted with 2 cops having to pay attention to some idiot while not being in a better position should a situation arisen somewhere else.

it was painfully obvious that his scheme failed. he wanted to videotape a cop being an arse. that is being abusive of your constitutional rights.

think about the countless morons out there who are at least smart enough not to publicize their own abuses.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

What he was trying to do was make the cop look like a storm trooper (drawn gun, slammed down on the sidewalk, hand cuffed, yelled at and all the other crap the cops have to do today to the creeps we have waliking around) instead it all backfired on him, the cop was far smarter than this "constitution jerk"

12. BrickPat

BrickPat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Equally laughable was the kid's interpretation of Terry vs. Ohio.

13. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I think most protests could be described this way, couldn't they?

14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

That's because the cop abided by the Constitution rather than acting the stormtrooper.

15. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 30 / -34

c'mon......walking around with an automatic weapon while another guy walks around with a camera?

what were they protesting? they weren't protesting, they were trying to prove something and it never materialized......

16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make. I didn't say they were protesting -- I said that they way you described them could also decribe most protests.

17. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,506 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Full disclosure: I strongly support a right to own and carry firearms, and I don't really have an issue with open carry of firearms.

Now, great job by the police officer. He handled it perfectly, though I'm sure the camera had him on edge a bit and I think he was a bit more conciliatory than he would have been had he not known he was being set up for a YouTube gotcha moment. I'm sure he wouldn't have offered them the reserve program or said anything about crime in the area had it not been for the camera. It was just a nice, "f.u. morons for trying to catch me".

The guys filming this were asshats. There's no other way to put it. There is every reason in the world to investigate whether it's a fully-automatic firearm. The appearance is pretty much exactly the same, and it isn't until the weapon is inspected on the outside, through removal of the magazine (to check the caliber), and through the action that a true determination can be made what kind of gun he's looking at.

They did get Terry vs. Ohio wrong and their assumptions were completely wrong on almost every level. It's nice to see them get theirs in the court of internet opinion.

I've been in a similar situation before in Virginia, except I wasn't walking like an ******* through town. I was pulled over and when the State Trooper noticed the gun case in the back of my Jeep, he asked to see it, citing a robbery that had taken place in the area an hour before. While my M4 didn't match the description of the weapon used in the robbery, he did inspect it to ensure it wasn't fully automatic. We were both professional and went on our separate ways. It wasn't a spectacle like this. Frankly, these guys give responsible gun owners a bad reputation.

18. BrickPat

BrickPat Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

As professional as that officer was there was an ahole pucker factor as soon as he observed that kid with the gun. While constitutional and lawful it is not something we run into everyday. While there is nothing illegal about strapping an semi auto MP5 (or whatever) and strolling down the street the police should be given leeway because a cop who acted as professionally as the one depicted in the vid could've been justified as having his own weapon out until the threat or lack thereof was adequately assessed.

In cases like this cops have to balance being poilte with staying alive. We all know that these young people proved to be harmless attention seekers but how did the cop know that before the encounter? What if it was a nut who would open up of the first cop that came up to him?

The Aurora shooter looked like a 'typical white kid' absent the goofy hair. The officer has no idea what he is running into but we accept that as part of the job. Again having said that it would not be unreasonable from a tactical standpoint to have a cover officer with his gun at the low ready until the threat or lack thereof can be determined. Of course had that happened there'd be bleating about governemnt stormtroopers when in reality the cop just wanted to ensure he could safely return to his family at the end of the day.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  19. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,026 / 30 / -34

no....not really