PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anthony Weaver to be released by Texans - anyone interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatepatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Texans | Weaver to be released
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:40:48 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Houston Texans will release DE Anthony Weaver Tuesday, Feb. 24. His $6.2 million base salary will come off the team's salary cap, but they must still deal with $5.4 million in acceleration of his contract.

I think he'd be a great addition for depth. Ravens and Texans = experience in the 3-4. Add him, and we have 4 excellent DE's for our 3-4 scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he ONLY being released for fiscal reasons?

It would really depend if he's an affordable upgrade to a guy who's in/has been in this system (Wright/Green).

Can't say it resonates with me personally.

he'd be worth a look for the minimum......

he's even more situational than jarvis green

Granted, the Texans play a very specific 4-3 defense, but some people down here in Houston call Weaver "The Ghost", because you can barely notice his presence on the field.

The most talked about need in Houston this offseason is to get something, anything at DE to balance Mario Williams. Weaver has been horrible with the Texans.

Now, maybe he'd work better in our 3-4, but it's worth keeping in mind just how badly he's viewed in Houston.

Granted, the Texans play a very specific 4-3 defense, but some people down here in Houston call Weaver "The Ghost", because you can barely notice his presence on the field.

The most talked about need in Houston this offseason is to get something, anything at DE to balance Mario Williams. Weaver has been horrible with the Texans.

Now, maybe he'd work better in our 3-4, but it's worth keeping in mind just how badly he's viewed in Houston.

I can verify this. Aside from Patriots games, living in San Antonio, I see more Texans games than anything, and Weaver was awful for them. I don't want any part of him.

While that might be true of not working out with the Texans....it's sometimes hard to project what a player will do in another system....not saying that about Weaver, but in many defensive situations..one can not tell all that much...would a 3-4 be better for him?? Not sure..

I think he'd be a great addition for depth. Ravens and Texans = experience in the 3-4. Add him, and we have 4 excellent DE's for our 3-4 scheme.

Weaver wasn't signed by the Texans until 2006, when Kubiak took over and moved to a 4-3 from Capers' 3-4.

Weaver wasn't signed by the Texans until 2006, when Kubiak took over and moved to a 4-3 from Capers' 3-4.

Was just going to say that.

I recall him being unimpressive, but effective, as a starter in Baltimore during the '04 and '05 seasons. Might be worth a look as vet depth in case Green gets cut (which I think would have happened already if it was going to happen).

In either case, I would imagine him being below Wright and Green on the depth chart if he was brought in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes