PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anthony Gonzalez vs. Chad Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think anyone is arguing on career to date, thats ridiculous.
But,there are volumes and volumes of players, especially at the Wr position who never leave the gate, esp when injuries are part of the issue, for 2 years, then develop into very good ones, and just as many that were adequate early on, like Gonz, but never become much more.

The original poster asked, "who would you take RIGHT NOW heading into the future?" This is not debatable. Put another way, if you polled all the coaches in the NFL, not one would take Jackson RIGHT NOW. To argue otherwise is silly.

Exactly, why is this being debated? pure silliness....

Why is this being debated ?

It's a simple as an ear of corn.........GET IT

Chad Jackson when all is said and done, will end up being twice the player that little Gonzo will be. I guarantee it.

I agree with everything you said re: CJ, except I'd like to reiterate the fact that route running was a strength considered coming into the draft, as was his ability to learn offensive system(s) given what he did in his Soph and Junior year.

Those have only become questions in the past two injury plagued seasons. One healthy TC is all its going to take and this kid could be a huge threat, and a much more complete and versatile WR than Stallworth.

where did u read that route running was a strength? all i recall in the negatives were route running, may take time to develop, blocking ability was a concern and questions about beign just another florida WR

Why is this being debated ?

It's a simple as an ear of corn.........GET IT

Chad Jackson when all is said and done, will end up being twice the player that little Gonzo will be. I guarantee it.

Silly I tell you Silly

Chad Jackson has much higher upside than Gonzalez. Going FORWARD, I would take Jackson, no contest.

Right now I'd take Gonzalez, since he's a comparatively known commodity. I think that Jackson, given his first full offseason to train hard, could emerge as the better player, but I wouldn't count on it.

The original poster asked, "who would you take RIGHT NOW heading into the future?" This is not debatable. Put another way, if you polled all the coaches in the NFL, not one would take Jackson RIGHT NOW. To argue otherwise is silly.

Thats not really true. Of course it is debatable, its being debated.

If you feel Jackson's first 2 years are Jackson's own fault, then you would take Gonzalez.
If you feel Jackson's first 2 years were unfortunate, and not indicative of his personality/mentailty/durability, then you judge him exclusive of those 2 years. Before either took a snap in the NFL, its pretty widely agreed that Jackson was a better prospect.

It depends on your perspective.
Personally, I would take Gonzalez, because I do hold players accountable to production regardless of reasons, but that does not always make me right. I happen to be discussing the Jackson side of the argument in this thread, because there are 2 sides, and you can make a somewhat reasonable argument for either.

Right now I'd take Gonzalez, since he's a comparatively known commodity. I think that Jackson, given his first full offseason to train hard, could emerge as the better player, but I wouldn't count on it.

If Jackson turns into what Gonzalez is proven to be, would you be happy? I wouldn't. I'd be happier than if he has a 3rd and 4th year that resembled his first 2, but still not happy. Thats the point of discussion here. First, do you believe Jackson is CAPABLE of being better, and second WILL HE?

Going FORWARD, I would take Jackson, no contest.

If you mean that, as a head coach, given the choice, right now, you'd choose to have Jackson report to your next camp instead of Gonzalez, I'd guess you'd be, maybe the only coach to make that choice.

That's where I'm at.

Thats not really true. Of course it is debatable, its being debated.

If you feel Jackson's first 2 years are Jackson's own fault, then you would take Gonzalez.
If you feel Jackson's first 2 years were unfortunate, and not indicative of his personality/mentailty/durability, then you judge him exclusive of those 2 years. Before either took a snap in the NFL, its pretty widely agreed that Jackson was a better prospect.

It depends on your perspective.
Personally, I would take Gonzalez, because I do hold players accountable to production regardless of reasons, but that does not always make me right. I happen to be discussing the Jackson side of the argument in this thread, because there are 2 sides, and you can make a somewhat reasonable argument for either.

Well I guess you could debate the world being round, but to what end? I'm basing this on if you polled all 32 NFL coaches how many would choose Jackson over Gonzalez today?

That's where I'm at.

Me too. I guarantee that Gonzalez is recognized as the better player right now, as many have stated, production trumps potential any day. But as Patsfans, most of us are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He may turn out to be a complete bust, or he may lock down the #2 receiver spot for the next few years and be a solid contributor.

The one thing that I think we all agree on is this.... this is the year where he gets his opportunity to compete for that #2 spot with (hopefully) Gafney, Washington, and others...this is his make or break year in terms of whether he merited a 2nd round pick.

I consider Welker #3 simply because he's the slot reciever.

where did u read that route running was a strength? all i recall in the negatives were route running, may take time to develop, blocking ability was a concern and questions about beign just another florida WR

I'll try and look through old CJ scouting reports, but I'm referring to the general feeling that what he did in terms of the two different roles in the different offenses between Soph & Junior year were a testament to him being a smart receiver.

If Jackson turns into what Gonzalez is proven to be, would you be happy? I wouldn't. I'd be happier than if he has a 3rd and 4th year that resembled his first 2, but still not happy. Thats the point of discussion here. First, do you believe Jackson is CAPABLE of being better, and second WILL HE?

Capable? Definitely? Will he? I wouldn't count on it, but it could happen. Given that, right now I would take Gonzalez if I had to choose between the two.

Capable? Definitely? Will he? I wouldn't count on it, but it could happen. Given that, right now I would take Gonzalez if I had to choose between the two.

Not a chance, I take Chad Jackson and his untapped potential any day.

Not a chance, I take Chad Jackson and his untapped potential any day.

Fine, just know that you are in disagreement with close to 100% of NFL head coaches.

I dont think anyone is arguing on career to date, thats ridiculous.
But,there are volumes and volumes of players, especially at the Wr position who never leave the gate, esp when injuries are part of the issue, for 2 years, then develop into very good ones, and just as many that were adequate early on, like Gonz, but never become much more.

That was the point of starting this thread. To try and project where 2 young players on rival teams may end up.
The current resumes favor Gonzalez...but the question is about the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back