PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anthony Gonzalez, Laron Landry and Amendola ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
These guys make JD Drew & Pervis Elllison look like Cal Ripkin jr & Lou Gehrig.

I hope the doctors take a long.... Long... Look at these guys.

Last edited:
I just posted this in another thread:

First, Amedola was in Boston to attend a family funeral.

Second, Anthony Gonzalez if signed, will be a veteran minimum guy who isn't guaranteed to the final 53 man roster. He is a guy the Pats might take a chance on to bring to camp to see if he has anything left, but not assured of a roster spot.

As for Landry, if the Pats can get him cheap, it is a good signing. The guy is a stud when he is on the field. He just can't stay on the field, but that could change.

I just posted this in another thread:

As for Landry, if the Pats can get him cheap, it is a good signing. The guy is a stud when he is on the field. He just can't stay on the field, but that could change.

I agree he can play, but then again so can Bob Sanders.

I agree he can play, but then again so can Bob Sanders.

That's why I said if the Pats can get him cheap. On a cheap deal, he is worth the risk. A medium to big deal, no way.

Gonzalez, Landry, and Amendola? Sounds like a Law office. Doesn't exactly get the old pacemaker running in overdrive does it...?

Gonzalez, Landry, and Amendola? Sounds like a Law office.

Or three guys calling the Law Offices of Jim Sokolove because they were injured on the job.

That's why I said if the Pats can get him cheap. On a cheap deal, he is worth the risk. A medium to big deal, no way.

That attitude is nutz... what if he craps out then you ahve spend all offseason to get him ready and hold a roster spot which is not a waste and looking for a street FA as he is injured.

Gonza is even more crazy !!! take wes 3 rd production and divide by 10 nd whola you have gonza.

Last edited:
That attitude is nutz... what if he craps out then you ahve spend all offseason to get him ready and hold a roster spot which is not a waste and looking for a street FA as he is injured.

Gonza is even more crazy !!! take wes 3 rd production and divide by 10 nd whola you have gonza.

I didn't say don't try to upgrade the position even with him added. Landry is a Pro Bowl quality SS. If the Pats can get him cheap because of injury concerns, this is yet another low risk, high reward type of player who could be the next Rodney Harrison in this defense. Say the Pats can get him for two years at $3 million a year like the Redskins just paid for Meriweather, the Pats would be stupid not to jump at that unless their doctors say his Achilles tendon is torn to crap. A healthy Landry is a top safety in the league.

Great moves if they are going to use this offseason to get worse. Maybe then sign Sergio Brown to a 4 year 40 million $$ deal and bring in Rae Carruth, who will be a free agent with very little wear on his tires when his lifetime prison term is up.

My 3 complaints about Landry is price, injury, and not really a coverage safety.

If he comes cheap and is healthy, he is a stud though. Even though they both aren't coverage safeties, you would have to put Chung and Landry out there at the same time IMO.

I didn't say don't try to upgrade the position even with him added. Landry is a Pro Bowl quality SS. If the Pats can get him cheap because of injury concerns, this is yet another low risk, high reward type of player who could be the next Rodney Harrison in this defense. Say the Pats can get him for two years at $3 million a year like the Redskins just paid for Meriweather, the Pats would be stupid not to jump at that unless their doctors say his Achilles tendon is torn to crap. A healthy Landry is a top safety in the league.

Landry is a SS or he is big enough to play LB in some packages. he is injured and that too a leg injury which he is trying to heal holistically. I do not understand why you want to sign him to play patrick chung poistion. In nickel and dime they both cannot be in the field to support the pass so you have to take 1 of them out.

so what is the use of a injured pat chung type player?. he cannot cover anyone and is a pure in the box player. He is even slower than chung.when teams go 3 or 4th receiver or put a TE who can run in the field he will be toast.

what we need a 190 LB FS who can fly!! this is a big dude who is slow....exact opposite.

Last edited:

What is nuts is ruling out a FA because they have been injured a couple of times in their career. that rules almost every NFL veteran. Why Landry started 47 of his first 48 games. He has missed half of the last two seasons. At that rate, if you sign him to a 3 year deal, he will start every game in the first two seasons and miss half of the 3rd season. That's probably at or better than NFL average. You have to have a doctor check out the achilles. If he says there is not signficant lasting damage, you would be a fool not to consider him.

Oh, and I love how people are freaking about Landry and not saying anything about Super Mario as an injury risk. Both played 3 injury free years. Landry missed 15 games over the last two years. Mario missed 16.

Gonzalez is camp fodder. We are talking about a vet min or incentive deal to try to catch lightning in a bottle. No risk, assuming they even sign him.

Landry is a SS or he is big enough to play LB in some packages. he is injured and that too a leg injury which he is trying to heal holistically. I do not understand why you want to sign him to play patrick chung poistion. In nickel and dime they both cannot be in the field to support the pass so you have to take 1 of them out.

so what is the use of a injured pat chung type player?. he cannot cover anyone and is a pure in the box player. He is even slower than chung.when teams go 3 or 4th receiver or put a TE who can run in the field he will be toast.

what we need a 190 LB FS who can fly!! this is a big dude who is slow....exact opposite.

First, I think Belichick knows what this team needs more than you or I and he obviously thinks a healthy Landry can help this team.

Second, we don't know how the Pats are going to use him. The Pats could bring back a Big Nickel type of defense. With most defensive formations becoming sub packages, you can always use Pro Bowl quality secondary help.

Third, I said only to bring him in on the cheap. If the Pats get him for say $2-3 million a year, that doesn't preclude them from getting a safety like Reggie Nelson or someone else.

Third, I said only to bring him in on the cheap. If the Pats get him for say $2-3 million a year, that doesn't preclude them from getting a safety like Reggie Nelson or someone else.

That is not going to happen. i think he will command close to 4-5 million.

What is nuts is ruling out a FA because they have been injured a couple of times in their career. that rules almost every NFL veteran. Why Landry started 47 of his first 48 games. He has missed half of the last two seasons. At that rate, if you sign him to a 3 year deal, he will start every game in the first two seasons and miss half of the 3rd season. That's probably at or better than NFL average. You have to have a doctor check out the achilles. If he says there is not signficant lasting damage, you would be a fool not to consider him.

He is a SS a bigger SS , why not sign idehebo to pack chung cheaper. then get a FS . currently we have sergio brown as the FS. if we can draft 1 and get a FA we will be good as we can play both in 3rd down package.

its not a question of not signing but he is saying he wants to heal his leg holistically !. I have no clue what that means.

He is a SS a bigger SS , why not sign idehebo to pack chung cheaper. then get a FS . currently we have sergio brown as the FS. if we can draft 1 and get a FA we will be good as we can play both in 3rd down package.

its not a question of not signing but he is saying he wants to heal his leg holistically !. I have no clue what that means.

Why not sign a marginal talent like James Ihedibgo when you can have a Pro Bowl caliber safety like Landry? Why franchise Welker when you could sign Eddie Royal to do the same job?

Yes, Landry has a big question mark with his injury history, but in a value contract he is worth the risk because his ceiling is the Pro Bowl. Ihedibgo's ceiling is a good special teamer who can fill in on subpackages.

The Pats will not sign Landry without an MRI on his leg or at least examining previous MRIs and giving him a physical. That means if there is significant damage, they will pass. If not, the risk is low.

Again, I don't want the guy unless he gets a cheap contract and the Pats give him a thorough examination and he passes. If both happen, then I don't see the downside of signing him.

Last edited:
this is a big dude who is slow....exact opposite.

You may want to look at Landry's combine results if you think he's slow. He ran a 4.35 40 at 213 pounds back in 2007. He claims to be 218 right now. Those 5 pounds didn't make him slow.

Is Chung is so good his job shouldn't be up for competition from Landry?

If signed to a reasonable contract, why the hell not?

Chung has missed 10 games due to injury out of a possible 48.

Landry has missed 16 out of a possible 80.

They missed the same amount of games due to injury last year(8).

Nothing to lose by signing Gonzalez either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes