PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anquan Boldin

Status
Not open for further replies.
people are bashing this thread, but its sertain that if it did happen (not saying it will) everyone would claim that the saw it from day one and new what an awsome idea it would be.
Not me. It's a stupid idea and I'll stand by that.

When you pay $10 mil a year, it better buy you a much better team.

Fact is, with Moss and Welker, the addition of Boldin will not help a whole lot. If he catches a lot of passes, it will just take away some that Moss/Galloway would catch.

Boldin would have helped three years ago. Yeah, we will be incrementally better, but $10 mil should make you MUCH better.

Put $10 mil into a shut down corner, top OLB or DE. That would make a big difference to the team.

Moss-Welker-Boldin-Galloway just isn't $10 mil better than Moss-Welker-Galloway.

I'd pass on Boldin. This team has greater areas of need.

The better move is to either trade for Chad Johnson which would have a better chance of fitting under the cap or wait until next off season where very good and young WR's could be available. Although they all might be franchised, guys like Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall and Braylon Edwards are all set to hit free agency in 2010. Don't think like Dallas by freaking out and giving up half your draft and overpaying for a WR. I would rather save my draft picks and take a chance to see if any of these WR's above hit free agency.

Last edited:
This would never happen, it wouldn't be a good value pickup at all. For one thing, why would you want to pay someone almost 10 million per yr when his job is going to be keeping Moss and Welker from catching more balls? You can only have so many weapons before they start taking away from each other.

How many balls would you expect him to catch? 40-50? The 3rd and 4th positions will do that at a total cost of what? Less than 1.5 million for both? Welker is already averaging 100 a year, and Moss isn't too far behind. You don't need top quality players at every WR position (X,Y,etc) as we've proved before in 3 SB's--but even more in 06 when we lost the AFCCG with Reche Caldwell, etc.

Bottom line is that if we had money like that to spend, it surely wouldn't be at the WR position. We couldn't afford a WR with half of that cap hit, let alone another 9-10 million dollar wideout.

The whole entire reason we have been so good is pretty much because of proper cap mgmt, and good player value. You cannot be stacked at every position. I also expect a lot more 2 TE sets, and a strong focus on running the ball and clock mgmt, FWIW--so it'd be a total waste anyway.

If I had to guess, I'd say you play a lot of Madden and fantasy football:)

The dude is making 2.75 mill this season cmon he isnt going to riun the cap. He will probably hold out. If we were to give him 8mil a year for the next 5 seasons I think he would be happy. The man is a tough football player and is well respected around the leauge. I dont think you can compare those other SB teams to this one because we had a lights out D those years and recently we have played above average D. I think its safe to say in recent years we have become more of a offense first team. Look at what Manning did in Indy when he had Harrison, Wayne and Gonzo, Dallas and Addai. I think the Offense will be very good right now but Boldin would make the O unreal.

The dude is making 2.75 mill this season cmon he isnt going to riun the cap. He will probably hold out. If we were to give him 8mil a year for the next 5 seasons I think he would be happy. The man is a tough football player and is well respected around the leauge. I dont think you can compare those other SB teams to this one because we had a lights out D those years and recently we have played above average D. I think its safe to say in recent years we have become more of a offense first team. Look at what Manning did in Indy when he had Harrison, Wayne and Gonzo, Dallas and Addai. I think the Offense will be very good right now but Boldin would make the O unreal.

You've GOT to be kidding me. You think bringing in a whining receiver and addressing his contract demands before addressing all the players already on the team is a good idea?

Are you Boldin's brother or something?

I'd pass on Boldin. This team has greater areas of need.

I agree 110% with this sentiment......

But I stand with my previous query....

Imagine for a moment Moss, Welker, Galloway, Boldin & Lewis! Mercy!

It'll never happen of course and in the end I'd rather have Peppers....

That's about right where we'd be in cap space when everything's said and done, so I still don't think the team could afford his hit. But more importantly, if he's not happy making almost 3 per yr in ARZ, why do you think he'd be happy making that anywhere else?

He's trying his best to get more money, that's his stance. And remember, the only reason the Colts won even 1 SB was because....(we all know the answer to that)

Imagine for a moment: Moss. Welker, Boldin. Galloway & Lewis...........

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

The better move is to either trade for Chad Johnson which would have a better chance of fitting under the cap or wait until next off season where very good and young WR's could be available. Although they all might be franchised, guys like Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall and Braylon Edwards are all set to hit free agency in 2010. Don't think like Dallas by freaking out and giving up half your draft and overpaying for a WR. I would rather save my draft picks and take a chance to see if any of these WR's above hit free agency.

Thats the main point of this thread. Not that we need a wideout right now but Im saying that Boldin and his base salary of 2.75mill this season will not hurt this team. In the near future Moss and Galloway will be 35 and Galloway will be 39 pushing 40. Why not get younger and help the team this year in the process? You have a good Idea as well. The main point is that while we have a great core we will be Old come two years from now. Boldin could be our other outside wideout next season assuming we dont bring back a 39 year old Joey Galloway.

Thats the main point of this thread. Not that we need a wideout right now but Im saying that Boldin and his base salary of 2.75mill this season will not hurt this team. In the near future Moss and Galloway will be 35 and Galloway will be 39 pushing 40. Why not get younger and help the team this year in the process? You have a good Idea as well. The main point is that while we have a great core we will be Old come two years from now. Boldin could be our other outside wideout next season assuming we dont bring back a 39 year old Joey Galloway.

When the WR position needs addressed, it certainly will be, just like any other position on the team is. I think the bottom line is that there are cheaper, more effective ways of taking care of the problem--when it comes time.

The offense will be fine this yr, as long as we protect the QB. Relax.

The Pats signing Anquan Bolden is just slightly more likely than their signing Anakin Skywalker

When the WR position needs addressed, it certainly will be, just like any other position on the team is. I think the bottom line is that there are cheaper, more effective ways of taking care of the problem--when it comes time.

The offense will be fine this yr, as long as we protect the QB. Relax.

Getting younger is good. Paying 10M per year to do so isn't good. It's stupid.

The idea is to pay as little as possible and improve as much as possible through the draft. What about Tate, isn't he younger? I think it's a stupid idea. Plus for one year he'd be totally unneccessary.

With Boldin firing his agent (apparently because he hasn't gotten him a new deal or traded him yet) just want to know what you guys think about Q.

No thanks. He'll make us play the Borg.

Any guy who has balls enough to fire Drew Rosenhaus when he's trying to get more money is worth a look in my book. ;)

But yeah, he's going to want way more $$ than the Pats will be willing to give him.

I think Anquan would find the same problem here that he currently has in Arizona: being overshadowed by another wide receiver on the team.

Let's face, while he is as tough as nails he seems to be budding into a young TO.

We could have the greatest show on turf

Thanks, I'd rather win the last game. I'd rather work on our defenses and oline, though anyone that fits and is a good value would help.

We won three titles with a defense oriented team zero when we started spending picks and dough mostly on offense.

Nothing against Boldin, just got a pain with the greatest show comment.

The Pats signing Anakin Skywalker

Now there's a trade i'd make. That kid can really fly, and has great instincts. Plus he has a hot girlfriend :D

Seriously, NO TO BOLDIN. Also, i wish people would stop saying next year might be uncapped so we'll be able to afford every FA in the world. IT MIGHT BE, but it also might not. How about we wait and see, and stop making dumb statements :rolleyes:

Why not get younger and help the team this year in the process? .

Boldin will be 29 in a couple months. By the time Randy's contract runs out, he'll be 31. Thats not really getting younger. you can't afford to spend $10M a year on a guy who is going to be your number 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes