PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anquan Boldin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
He's been one of my favorite WR's in the NFL and would be a terror with Brady passing to him. It will never happen but I would trade Chad Jackson and first for him in a instant. Anyone else with Boldin lust?

A first? Easy now, we have a pretty good track record with our First Round picks. And as always, trading for these unhappy players have tremendous salary cap effects. Boldin will likely be looking for a Fitzgerald like contract extension, I don't know if Moss would like that too much.

So no.

Ideally he would be throwing this contract fit 3-4 years from now so it would be a Boldin-in-Moss-out kind of situation, but as is, now way they could sign him and devote that much cap space to the WR spot. Too bad though, as he's the perfect complement to Moss & Welker: big, physical possession WR who makes a ton of YAC breaking tackles.

He's been one of my favorite WR's in the NFL and would be a terror with Brady passing to him. It will never happen but I would trade Chad Jackson and first for him in a instant. Anyone else with Boldin lust?
I said a second and CJ in a previous tread.
CJ is a lot less against their CAP as well.
DW Toys

How about CJ and CJJ and a fifth?

I'd love to see Boldin here but it ain't gonna happen. :(

The salary cap makes it all but an impossibility, but I'd gladly give up a conditional second rounder for him. Fantastic receiver, and he'd make the offense even more potent.

If Lito Sheppard alone cant get him your looking at giving up a 1st (especially since it will be a late 1st) and something else. Legit #1 WR's in their mid 20's dont get moved for ok packages involving 2nd round picks

If Lito Sheppard alone cant get him your looking at giving up a 1st (especially since it will be a late 1st) and something else. Legit #1 WR's in their mid 20's dont get moved for ok packages involving 2nd round picks

Have you seen what top players have brought in return in recent trades? Boldin, great as he is, has injury issues, and I'm sure a lot of teams don't consider him a #1 anymore with Fitzgerald on that team. I'm pretty sure something along the lines of a conditional second rounder that could become a first based on playing time and production, and maybe a later pick like a 5th, would get it done. If not, Arizona won't be able to move him, because it doesn't look like anyone out there is desperate enough for a receiver to give up a first and more unconditionally. Of course, if Arizona had a brain, they'd just pay him. You can afford two gamebreaking types on offense along with a quarterback, even if they are both receivers. Those two, and to a lesser extent Bryant Johnson, are the only things the offense has going for it over there. Leinhart isn't setting the league on fire, and James is looking calcified.

i'd trade a 1st round pick and chad jackson for him in a heartbeat. boldin-moss-welker would be an amazing receiving duo. i doubt that would be enough for the cardinals to accept it though.

Not going to happen because of the money. A great WR though. We should have taken him in round 2 when he came out in the draft.

Have you seen what top players have brought in return in recent trades? Boldin, great as he is, has injury issues, and I'm sure a lot of teams don't consider him a #1 anymore with Fitzgerald on that team. I'm pretty sure something along the lines of a conditional second rounder that could become a first based on playing time and production, and maybe a later pick like a 5th, would get it done. If not, Arizona won't be able to move him, because it doesn't look like anyone out there is desperate enough for a receiver to give up a first and more unconditionally. Of course, if Arizona had a brain, they'd just pay him. You can afford two gamebreaking types on offense along with a quarterback, even if they are both receivers. Those two, and to a lesser extent Bryant Johnson, are the only things the offense has going for it over there. Leinhart isn't setting the league on fire, and James is looking calcified.

You will be contradicting yourself if you trade for him then. He wants #1 WR money and if you trade for him you will have to give him that, however your going to try and trade with the Cards and sell them that your mindset is that he is not a top WR or #1 WR when he really is. He is a #2 on the Cards and a #1 on 75 percent of the teams in the NFL. Supposedly the Cards were thinking trade w/ philly. They wanted Lito and a draft pick. Lito and a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th is a lot more then a conditional 2nd. To be honest his true value is a 1st plus something else. For only a second 31 teams would be lining up tomorrow to work out a trade if they could fit it under the cap.

Last edited:
i'd trade a 1st round pick and chad jackson for him in a heartbeat. boldin-moss-welker would be an amazing receiving duo. i doubt that would be enough for the cardinals to accept it though.

Will Welker be playing on Moss's or Boldin's shoulders?

Last edited:

Well, the Cardinals aren't the best run organization in football, they are "frugal," Boldin is very unhappy, he will probably walk after his contract ends (though it's through 2010), and they just used a mid first rounder on a cornerback as well as have a pretty good player in Roderick Hood already at CB.

And Lito Sheppard would bring the same contract griping to Arizona, isn't a shutdown player, is injury prone...

Why would the Cardinals even want to swap a fantastic though disgruntled wide receiver for a middling, disgruntled cornerback?

Follow me into another galaxy, where everyone poops rainbows and the Colts never won the Super Bowl...

If he plays through this season and nothing happens, I'd be tempted to pursue him hard. Moss is signed through 2010. If, for instance, they trade for Boldin and sign him to an extension, the first two years of Boldin's re-worked deal could have cap hits of 6-7 million, which is workable. He doesn't turn thirty until October 2010... If Moss hangs them up after his contract ends (and three Super Bowl rings :D) and Brady sticks around, you maintain a very good receiving corps for a more-likely-than-not, declining #12, or you have a a legit #1 for O'Connell when he takes the reigns, as well as still having Welker.

How do you cover Welker, Moss and Boldin with Tom Brady at quarterback? You don't. You grab your johnson and pray to god that they don't feel like embarrassing you and your pathetic defense with 70+ points.

Ah... If only...

Last edited:
Well, the Cardinals aren't the best run organization in football, they are "frugal," Boldin is very unhappy, he will probably walk after his contract ends (though it's through 2010), and they just used a mid first rounder on a cornerback as well as have a pretty good player in Roderick Hood already at CB.

And Lito Sheppard would bring the same contract griping to Arizona, isn't a shutdown player, is injury prone...

Why would the Cardinals even want to swap a fantastic though disgruntled wide receiver for a middling, disgruntled cornerback?

Follow me into another galaxy, where everyone poops rainbows and the Colts never won the Super Bowl...

Well this must be the same world where Chad Jackson and a second gets you a top ten WR. If the cards got Lito and paid him him he would not be disgruntled. Lito is not lock down but he still is a very good young corner and any team that acquired him would know they would have to pay him.

OT: But this goes back to my theory 3 years ago on why you never draft a WR top ten when you have one on your team who is either a top ten WR or borderline top ten WR. IF the one you draft pans out are you seriously going to compete for a SB with that much money locked up at WR?

Last edited:
You will be contradicting yourself if you trade for him then. He wants #1 WR money and if you trade for him you will have to give him that, however your going to try and trade with the Cards and sell them that your mindset is that he is not a top WR or #1 WR when he really is. He is a #2 on the Cards and a #1 on 75 percent of the teams in the NFL. Supposedly the Cards were thinking trade w/ philly. They wanted Lito and a draft pick. Lito and a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th is a lot more then a conditional 2nd. To be honest his true value is a 1st plus something else. For only a second 31 teams would be lining up tomorrow to work out a trade if they could fit it under the cap.

Considering that Lito Sheppard is on the outs in Philly, his value isn't perceived as high as you're setting it, and we don't know the pick that would have gone along with him. If it was a 2nd, Philly would be crazy to do it. And again, I said it won't happen because of the money earlier, so no contradiction there. He would clearly be a #2 on this team, and that's all I'd pay him as here, but that won't happen, so there's not much point in discussing it. And your last line reveals why he'll only likely bring a second, especially given how the Deion Branch trade worked out for Seattle - teams have to fit him under the cap. Not too many teams would be able to do it at this time while giving him a new contract.

Also, your claim he'd be the #1 guy on 75% of the teams seems high to me. He wouldn't be #1 here on the Pats, nor for the Browns, Colts, Giants, Cowboys, Broncos, Texans, Lions, Panthers, Saints and possibly Falcons or Chiefs. Going conservatively, that's ten teams he wouldn't be the #1 on, a little under a 1/3 of the league. The two teams that would be best served to go after him, the Redskins and Jaguars, are both pressed up against the cap I believe. It'll be tough to move him because of how late in the offseason it is, and that drops his value, regardless of how good you think he is.

Considering that Lito Sheppard is on the outs in Philly, his value isn't perceived as high as you're setting it, and we don't know the pick that would have gone along with him. If it was a 2nd, Philly would be crazy to do it. And again, I said it won't happen because of the money earlier, so no contradiction there. He would clearly be a #2 on this team, and that's all I'd pay him as here, but that won't happen, so there's not much point in discussing it. And your last line reveals why he'll only likely bring a second, especially given how the Deion Branch trade worked out for Seattle - teams have to fit him under the cap. Not too many teams would be able to do it at this time while giving him a new contract.

Also, your claim he'd be the #1 guy on 75% of the teams seems high to me. He wouldn't be #1 here on the Pats, nor for the Browns, Colts, Giants, Cowboys, Broncos, Texans, Lions, Panthers, Saints and possibly Falcons or Chiefs. Going conservatively, that's ten teams he wouldn't be the #1 on, a little under a 1/3 of the league. The two teams that would be best served to go after him, the Redskins and Jaguars, are both pressed up against the cap I believe. It'll be tough to move him because of how late in the offseason it is, and that drops his value, regardless of how good you think he is.
No offense but Deion Branch is half the football player Boldin is. the guy never caught for 1,000 yards w/ Tom Brady. The team that automatically jumps to mind that has a need and would gain the most is the Eagles. They have the cap space, despeartely needed a WR and now with Curtis and Brown going down in camp they would love to add him. Put Boldin with McNabb, Westbrook and a good D and they could possibly catapult there way back to the top of the NFC ranks again.

For the bolded teams I think Boldin would be there no.1, I think he is definitely better then Bowe, and Marshall. IMO better then Plax and Williams who really has only had one big year.

Last edited:
Boldin aint coming to Foxboro, he's gonnna cash in big time somewhere though.

Last edited:
Wondered why it took so long for such an intelligent thread.

No offense but Deion Branch is half the football player Boldin is. the guy never caught for 1,000 yards w/ Tom Brady. The team that automatically jumps to mind that has a need and would gain the most is the Eagles. They have the cap space, despeartely needed a WR and now with Curtis and Brown going down in camp they would love to add him. Put Boldin with McNabb, Westbrook and a good D and they could possibly catapult there way back to the top of the NFC ranks again.

For the bolded teams I think Boldin would be there no.1, I think he is better then Plax, Bowe, Marshall, and Williams who really has only had one big year.

I'm not saying Branch is that great, just that teams would be wary of spending a #1 pick on a receiver after the way that trade worked out. NFL teams tend to be strangely irrational about past failures. Also, no way does he go ahead of Plaxico. As much as I dislike the guy, Plexiglass' redzone presence puts him ahead of Boldin. You're right, Philly is obviously a frontrunner given their injury concerns, but I was excluding them since they're the team that's already been discussed far and wide.

Boldin is better than Marshall right now, but that won't last long if Marshall can keep his head on straight, which admittedly is no guarantee, but I don't think the Broncos would change course on that one. Same for Bowe, and given his amazing rookie campaign with virtually no other help on offense, I think he establishes himself as #1 fairly quickly as well. Either Williams or Johnson in Detroit will lock that role down, so I don't see Boldin ahead of either of them. I just don't see a way any of those teams would make Boldin #1 if he magically appeared on their roster with a contract he considered fair. I think the important point isn't in dealing with hypotheticals, but that it's late in the offseason, most teams would have trouble making room under the cap, and only a few teams desperately need a wide receiver to contend this year, which limits his value, regardless of how good you think Boldin is.

All that said, if I were the Jaguars, given the team's recent run of ignominy with wide receivers, I'd drop a first on him, cut Matt Jones and pair him with Reggie Williams. Williams was very solid last year, and Boldin would be an excellent primary target for Garrard. I'd take the Jaguars a lot more seriously if they made that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes