PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another terrible league-wide rule is passed

I think the NFL is trying out the novel idea of not to waiting until after the catastrophe happens to start taking preventative measures for it.

I thought they already were doing that by, uh, CAREFULLY GOING THROUGH EVERY BAG FANS BRING TO THE ENTRY GATE, FRISKING THEM AND USING METAL DETECTORS. The new rule is nonsense.

I heard Goodell testified before Congress today and urged the government to re-institute the minting of indian head nickels to help promote attendance at the struggling Washington and Buffalo venues....citing attendance figures, Rocket Rog figures the 50,000 nickel admission price to each stadium would net the government a cool half a hundred a season in excise taxes.

3805.jpg

anybody know what happened to Goody's last brainfartstorm?......

Roger Goodell Is Thinking About Eliminating Kickoffs. How Would It Affect NFL Offenses?

I'm a traditionalist, so all things being equal I'd certainly prefer to keep the kickoff the way it is. But that may not be possible in the current climate. The greatest non-legal threat to the NFL's place atop the American sports landscape is the growing public distaste for violence. Whether kickoffs are in fact more dangerous than scrimmage plays—what with all the routine subconcussive trauma on the line—is immaterial to the NFL. The league is operating in the realm of perception now. Roger Goodell needs to look busy, even if he's only busily dressing windows.

2006...the year the NFL officially jumped the shark...we've been hoodwinked and sold a counterfeit...a cheap sham imitation of the sport our fathers and their fathers loved for generations.

The greatest non-legal threat to the NFL's place atop the American sports landscape is the growing public distaste for violence.

yeah...school shootings, marathon bombings, coast to coast gang violence...all brought to you nightly by CBS,NBC, ABC and Fox......the public has had enough!!!!!!!..(until tomorrow night at 6:30 eastern time)......

Going to have to be a lot more creative when trying to sneak drinks into the games now. We're just going to have to adjust accordingly.

I can get 5 nips per sneaker. Jack Daniels or other square bottles .are the most comfy

I can get 5 nips per sneaker. Jack Daniels or other square bottles .are the most comfy

Just great, bro. Just great.
Now like with the shoe bomber, we'll hafta remove our shoes before entering Gillette. :mad:

I think the NFL is trying out the novel idea of not to waiting until after the catastrophe happens to start taking preventative measures for it.

If you think this is actually about such concerns, I congratulate you on your having been able to maintain a child's naivete for all these years.

Just great, bro. Just great.
Now like with the shoe bomber, we'll hafta remove our shoes before entering Gillette. :mad:

No kidding. And what about the underwear bomber? Let's face facts: If someone truly wants to bomb fans at a stadium, they'll find a way to do it. Forcing law-abiding folks to leave their bags and seat cushions at home accomplishes nothing but inconvenience.

If you think this is actually about such concerns, I congratulate you on your having been able to maintain a child's naivete for all these years.

I'm not saying the league is acting out of benevolent concern for the safety of its fans or anything, but yes, I do think that preventing any sort of terror-inducing event at an NFL game -- or at least having publicly taken precautions -- is a major motivator for this rule.

There is money at stake here that dwarfs the sales lost from people sneaking alcohol into stadiums, or using their own seat cushions, etc. Even the mighty NFL needs to buy event liability insurance for every game, and the insurers use every public disaster as an occasion to force clients to tighten their security or face premium hikes. There are also constantly changing legal regulations for event security at city and state levels, many of which are also tightened ad hoc to events like the Marathon bombing.

And this isn't even taking into account the blow the NFL would take if something ever DID happen at a game. First, the PR hit would be deadly, and second, there is the very real danger of decreased family attendance. Clearly, the owners are already pricing out the kinds of fans who sneak alcohol into stadiums in favor suburban families and status-seeking yuppies who spend money recreationally, and this tactic is way more effective than a ban bag would be.

Searching bags more thoroughly would either require spending money on added security personell, or exacerbate the problem of long waits and cramped, chaotic lines at stadium entrances -- and faster lines means getting more people inside earlier, with nothing better to do than buy stuff.

Compared to these concerns, the fraction of a percent of fans sneaking booze into games don't even show up on the radar. And as for seat cushions, I'm willing to bet that a lot of stadiums will make them available either for free, like the 3D glasses at movie theaters, or for $1 on the honor system, like the bins of headphones at most airport gates.

I think it's a stupid rule. All of the games that I've been to, the security searched all of the bags.

I'm not saying the league is acting out of benevolent concern for the safety of its fans or anything, but yes, I do think that preventing any sort of terror-inducing event at an NFL game -- or at least having publicly taken precautions -- is a major motivator for this rule.

If they're already searching purses and bags, this is not about safety, because... they're already searching purses and bags.

You're being the kind of gullible person they're looking to buy into this, though, so you'll be helpful to them.

Searching bags more thoroughly would either require spending money on added security personell, or exacerbate the problem of long waits and cramped, chaotic lines at stadium entrances -- and faster lines means getting more people inside earlier, with nothing better to do than buy stuff.

Lama, buddy, when was the last time you attended a game at Gillette? For years they've had special lines designated for people carrying bags. They have tables set up and staff appointed to go through each and every bag quite thoroughly. Nobody complains and things are handled efficiently. On top of that, fans get frisked and and scanned with a metal-detector wand. A pretty solid system all around.

After sleeping on it, though, I think the Boston Marathon bombing probably is cause for this new rule. According to the NFL, a wider security perimeter is being establish to stop bag-carrying fans before they reach the gate area. As most of us know, gate areas get pretty jammed up around Gillette 40 minutes or so before kickoff. All it would take is another Tsaranev type to mix in the tightly packed crowd, drop a backpack bomb and stroll out.

On this level, the rule makes sense. But, as I said earlier, if terrorists truly want to bomb an NFL game, NOTHING is going to stop them. OK, so we're now limited to see-through bags of a certain size. Maybe that will stem catastrophe. But what's to stop a terrorist from placing a small pipe bomb (or grenade) wrapped in a T-shirt into a see-through tote bag and doing the same thing?

I'm willing to bet anything that the marathon bombing is behind this. Unfortunately, the flask-bladder seat-cushion business will take a huge hit ... And the mini-duffel with the Pats logo I bought last week will have to find another use.

After sleeping on it, though, I think the Boston Marathon bombing probably is cause for this new rule. According to the NFL, a wider security perimeter is being establish to stop bag-carrying fans before they reach the gate area. As most of us know, gate areas get pretty jammed up around Gillette 40 minutes or so before kickoff. All it would take is another Tsaranev type to mix in the tightly packed crowd, drop a backpack bomb and stroll out.

The wider perimeter argument is nonsense, too, though. There will still be choke points. This doesn't solve that issue.

This is the NFL making itself more money while pretending to do something about safety. And, because so many Americans today are cowards and idiots, they'll accept this after minor griping.

This is the NFL making itself more money while pretending to do something about safety. And, because so many Americans today are cowards and idiots, they'll accept this after minor griping.

This, pretty much. It's a veiled money grab. If you can sneak a metal flask full of booze into the stadium in your crotch or sock (something I've done many times), you could sneak an explosive device in too. This isn't going to change that, it's just going to inconvenience folks (and force them to buy things at the pro shops)

I really don't see this as a big deal. I've lived in Manhattan since 911 and I've just gotten used to stuff like this.

That said, I do feel that it's fair to say that the "clear sides" regulation is more a function of not wanting to add a lot of cost of inspecting bags by hand than it is of anything else, but that is what it is. The bags wouldn't have to be transparent if the owners were willing to foot the bill for the extra security needed to open and go through the bags.

Here is the Yankee Stadium Bag Policy, for example:
"Each Guest is welcome to bring one bag into Yankee Stadium provided the bag is soft-sided (e.g., diaper bags, small purses, etc.) and its dimensions do not exceed 16 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches as stipulated by Major League Baseball security regulations. Briefcases, coolers and other hard-sided bags or containers are not permitted. All bags will be thoroughly inspected before they are permitted into the Stadium. Bag-size bins will be used at inspection points, and bags and their contents must fit without assistance, modification or adjustment. There is no storage area for any items that do not meet security requirements."

It makes for only a two to five minute delay getting into the Stadium, but that is because the Steinbrenners run a cottage employment industry for off-duty NYPD officers.

And, yes, they do open and hand-inspect every bag. People tend to know that the person doing the inspection is NYPD (not a "Mall Cop") and don't give them any trouble; I suspect that the Glock inside their jackets helps with that. And, don't even think about bringing a bottle or can in with you; they will find it and give you the choice of dumping it into the trash and entering without it or leaving the premises. Ditto for any camera that looks more complex than a cell phone.

The wider perimeter argument is nonsense, too, though. There will still be choke points. This doesn't solve that issue.
I think it might depend on how far out the first perimeter is, but you could be right. Another area full of "choke points" on game day is Patriot Place, and no way in hell can they keep people with bags out of there. The restaurants are packed, for one thing. Like I said, nothing's going to stop a creatively determined terrorist -- except, perhaps, fear of getting caught. Which is what surveillance cameras are for.

I hate the rule, but what the hell can we do about it? I doubt any number of complaints from season ticket holders will make a difference.

I hate the rule, but what the hell can we do about it? I doubt any number of complaints from season ticket holders will make a difference.

It all depends on what you're willing to accept. There's no way in hell I'll go to a game with this nonsense in place.

Raise a loud enough voice and they'll have to at least answer it.

Of course, I work in the community organizing field so I might be a little biased...

1 ~ One would love to imagine that these Vermin are imposing these Rules out'f concern for our Safety.

2 ~ One would be wrong.

3 ~ All these ScumBags are doing ~ and this is the really despicable part of it ~ is taking advantage of the cowardly, murderous acts that were perpetrated on Patriots Day ~ and the ensuing Publicity ~ to impinge on our collective ability to make Games a little more affordable by bringing our own Booze and other Sundries.

These measures are clearly and contemptibly vile.

And there's no need to pretend otherwise.

If I take my old bag ex to the stadium will they confiscate her???

If so, I'm ONE HUNDRED PER CENT FOR!!!!!

Woo hoo, baby!!!!! Free at last....I'm free...at last!!!

Then you are in business. Hire yourself out. A lucrative career awaits.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back