PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another scientific rebuttal of exponent

Status
Not open for further replies.

juny

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Drew fustin had this to share on Twitter. Basically if footballs were kept in bag it changes how quickly the footballs rise in pressure with temperature. Exponent did their experiment with a single football on a stand. In the db.tt link below

A guy named Mike Greenway emailed me on #deflategate. ANOTHER datapoint against Exponent. http://deflategatedeflated.com https://db.tt/KWtrrsu2

Drew fustin had this to share on Twitter. Basically if footballs were kept in bag it changes how quickly the footballs rise in pressure with temperature. Exponent did their experiment with a single football on a stand. In the db.tt link below

A guy named Mike Greenway emailed me on #deflategate. ANOTHER datapoint against Exponent. http://deflategatedeflated.com https://db.tt/KWtrrsu2

Just another couple of reasons why this whole thing was so ridiculous. They used standards of proof that wouldn't have passed muster in the Spanish Inquisition, and in some cases not in Stalin's USSR either.

One thing to brace ourselves for -- footballs will be handled differently next season from last, and so PSI changes over the course of a game may be different as well.

One curiosity I've had for awhile is what was the temperature of the rain falling during that game.

Exponent used a spray bottle that was kept in the environmental chamber along with the football which means they sprayed 48 degree water on the balls.

The actual rain temperature during that game could have been much lower.

In the end even if we did'nt know all that we do know it is insane that the NFL would crucify a wonderful 15 year career over the implied 0.3 psi from a Well's report. Unbelievable.

I like that people pitch in on this stuff, but there really isn't much to refute in the exponent study.
the laws and behaviors being discussed are, of course, science, but nothing in the procedures are remortely scientific.
edit: looks like freudian typo - I'll leave it

we can't know the temps of those balls, only make rough guesses, and rough guesses aren't going to produce results to a tenth of a psi in accuracy, if we were even using tools that could measure that accurately.
exponent basically shows insignificant deflation, or no significant unnatural deflation, to maybe put it more correctly.

I guess wells, or more likely pash, are contorting more than cirque du soleil to lynch brady on 3/10ths of a psi, or whatever the ridiculous figure is, if anybody can even decipher that, but that's the kind of deflation that could result from, like maybe, a 4 degree temp change, if anybody wants to fact check that for me.
this entire thing has been clearly nonsense from the start, and obviously textbook clumsy railroading.

Water dissipates heat (it's why people sweat) so a wet Football would be much cooler than a dry one so would be further from room temperature.

You also need to factor things in like the ball being squashed in tackles etc too.

Last edited:
Just another couple of reasons why this whole thing was so ridiculous. They used standards of proof that wouldn't have passed muster in the Spanish Inquisition, and in some cases not in Stalin's USSR either.

One thing to brace ourselves for -- footballs will be handled differently next season from last, and so PSI changes over the course of a game may be different as well.

(While it may come off that way, I don't intend for this to be a snarky question) Change from what? In the history of the league, no one has ever checked the PSI of a ball at halftime, ever. How will we know if these results will be out of whack with the future testing results when there is nothing else to compare them to.

Again, I don't mean to attack you with any of this. It's like eom pointed out in his post, there are so many variables we don't know from the AFCCG that comparing those results to future test results will largely be useless (that won't stop people from trying, though.)

One curiosity I've had for awhile is what was the temperature of the rain falling during that game.

Exponent used a spray bottle that was kept in the environmental chamber along with the football which means they sprayed 48 degree water on the balls.

The actual rain temperature during that game could have been much lower.

By the time it reaches the ground/footballs, the air temperature and the water temperature should be more-or-less the same.

(While it may come off that way, I don't intend for this to be a snarky question) Change from what? In the history of the league, no one has ever checked the PSI of a ball at halftime, ever. How will we know if these results will be out of whack with the future testing results when there is nothing else to compare them to.

Again, I don't mean to attack you with any of this. It's like eom pointed out in his post, there are so many variables we don't know from the AFCCG that comparing those results to future test results will largely be useless (that won't stop people from trying, though.)

I'll tell you this. The NFL still does not comprehend the effects of weather on a football.

IF you truly wanted a football to maintain an average of 13 psi during a game they would inflate and inspect them on the field of play so that they are already acclimated to the ambient weather conditions.

This whole.....we'll bring them into a locker blah blah randomly test ..blah blah .....trade out footballs with backups etc.... Is incredibly ignorant and a ridiculous waste of time. They are going to have to figure out pressures that will measure all over the chart.

By the time it reaches the ground/footballs, the air temperature and the water temperature should be more-or-less the same.

I initially thought that too but how would you explain hail?

Not true.

It's a complicated equilibrium. May not even be the same every time, because conditions won't be the same.

As an example, I remember once seeing liquid raindrops falling out of the sky in NH when my outdoor thermometer was saying the air temperature at the surface was seventeen (yes, 17!) degrees Fahrenheit. Obviously the air temp was warmer aloft, and the heat loss (cooling) while the drops fell did not cause them to freeze into sleet. Probably were large drops formed in much warmer air, but in any case it shows it is not a simple thing.

I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition

Tom Brady licks his hands before every snap. I'm sure he drank some engineered super drink that causes even more deflation of the ball when his saliva transfers onto the ball. Tom Brady also pees on the football when on the sideline.

I don't trust the league with these tests. They will probably game the results., like warming up the footballs before measuring at half time. They are so corrupt as evidenced by this whole ordeal

The NFL* desperately wants Tom Brady to admit guilt so they have cover when the random psi tests this year adds doubt that any human hands ever had anything to do with it.
The only random criteria is random Pats balls. They will never release any info

Remember, no one has ever cared about air in footballs before. In the history of the NFL, every rule change, including the right to work footballs by league heros Manning and Brady, has been to make scoring easier and defense tougher. The league and the fans want quarterbacks to have footballs that feel comfortable in their hands and they want them to complete passes and score a lot.

Don't get caught up in the PSI or new rules involving it. It's all horse manure invented by the whining losers and the corrupt commissioner and leadership.

Every single report that Exponent has delivered for a client is flawed in the same ways. Selective testing to produce desired results, ignoring obvious scenarios that do not support the outcome, ignoring scientific methods and accurate regression analysis, etc. It's tedious but you will see Senator Waxman making the same complaints about Exponent during the Toyota sudden acceleration fiasco that are voiced about Wells.

Goodell goes from someone who the majority in polls considered a liar after his false public statements about the Rice case to the fair and even dispenser of needed justice.

Water dissipates heat (it's why people sweat) so a wet Football would be much cooler than a dry one so would be further from room temperature.

You also need to factor things in like the ball being squashed in tackles etc too.

Wind is also a factor in the "latent heat of evaporation" theory....it lowers temps even further (why you feel so cool when you're wet and it's breezy vs no wind).

I believe there was significant wind during the AFC title game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye