PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Red Sox management hatchet job on Ramirez

i cant believe people are being critical of the front office on this one . they must not be paying attention to whats going on the last month. and i have no problem being critical with theo belive me. he ****ed up the ss position big time. but this is all manny.

Exactly. Lugo was a terrible signing. But there's a reason why the Sox have two WS titles in the past 4 years. Theo knows what he's doing. If you actually bother to think about all of the aspects of this trade (value, salary, Manny's negatives outweighing his hitting etc.) you'll see that it makes a ton of sense. And that's why they did it.

If not, I'd love to hear someone give me a reasonable explanation as to why the FO would want to slander Manny by making up these "false rumors" to get him out of town. Seriously, it makes zero sense what some of you are saying.

"Seriously I can't believe how ill informed some of you are."

And you're a regular fountain of information yourself; according to you, if we all don't blindly follow along with what the front office says and does, we're ill informed.

Theo the boy wonder has been trying to get rid of Manny for three years, he was willing at one point to give him away with no takers thank Christ or else last year never would have happened.

How quickly you forget.
Um, why do you think there were no takers?

Theo is certainly not infallible but I noticed we have 2 WS trophies since he and Francoma took over the operation. You can't argue with success. Let's face it, Manny pissed off John Henry and that was the end of him. Period. They did the same thing when Boggs pissed off Mrs. Yawkey.

Last edited:
Blame the front office, but their tool, WEEI, did a commendable job demonizing Manny..

I understand Manny had to go, he wanted out, and I'm fine with the trade.

It's the media hatchet job that pisses me off, it happens EVERY TIME.

I understand Manny had to go, he wanted out, and I'm fine with the trade.

It's the media hatchet job that pisses me off, it happens EVERY TIME.

Its' not a hatchet job when its based on facts. The Sox front office just copied the Patriots front office. Malcontents need not apply.

Its' not a hatchet job when its based on facts. The Sox front office just copied the Patriots front office. Malcontents need not apply.

But if they really had that philosophy, Ramirez would have been jettisoned years ago. It just finally got to where his childish behavior outweighed his on-field production. It always made me sick how his moronic act was tolerated and even enabled by everyone from the fans to ownership. Just goes to show how problematic guaranteed contracts can be.

Last edited:
-Manny is a coward who ducks pitchers
-Manny is greedy
-Manny cares nothing about his teammates
-Manny fakes injuries

If you disagree with these, you must have been living on Mercury for the last few years in general and the last few weeks specifically.

If you disagree with these, you must have been living on Mercury for the last few years in general and the last few weeks specifically.

Why, because Gammons, Shaugnessy, Mike Adams and the lineup of management shills say so?

Why you believe a word that comes out of their mouths on this situation is mystifying.

I recommend the movie Amadeus. Sometimes unlikely, undeserving people are blessed with extraordinary talent, and the mediocrities of the world resent it- to the point of slander.

Why, because Gammons, Shaugnessy, Mike Adams and the lineup of management shills say so?

Why you believe a word that comes out of their mouths on this situation is mystifying.

I recommend the movie Amadeus. Sometimes unlikely, undeserving people are blessed with extraordinary talent, and the mediocrities of the world resent it- to the point of slander.

Ummm, no. I believe those things because I have sight in both eyes.

By the way, your last paragraph is cracking me up.

Last edited:
Ummm, no. I believe those things because I have sight in both eyes.

By the way, your last paragraph is cracking me up.

Really? Your eyes told you manny ducks pitchers? or was it Gammons' words?

Your eyes told you manny cares nothing about his teammates? or was it Gammons words?

Your eyes told you Manny cares nothing about winning? Why does he celebrate when his teammates get game-winning hits?

Your eyes told you manny fakes injuries? Are you aware that many pitchers have had serious injuries not revealed on MRIs, and need exploratory surgery to identify the problem?

You have been blinded by a white-out of propaganda.

Last edited:
Really? Your eyes told you manny ducks pitchers?

Your eyes told you manny cares nothing about his teammates?

Your eyes told you Manny cares nothing about winning? Why does he celebrate when his teammates get game-winning hits?
Never said anything close to that. But "liking winning" isn't a very compelling argument for why a guy isn't a chucklehead.

Your eyes told you manny fakes injuries? Are you aware that many pitchers have had serious injuries not revealed on MRIs, and need exploratoy surgery to identify the problem?

I'll admit it; I wasn't completely honest. I have been heavily influenced by something in addition to what I see. My secret shame, my true puppetmaster, is...

...is...

COMMON SENSE!!!

Oh, the horror...

I'm surprised at how many people are defending Manny. Manny is a terrific talent, and a lovable spaceshot, but his act got old. Not running out ground balls, not playing, not swinging, throwing old men to the ground, etc. Manny's actions were inexcusable.

Here's what I know...

1) Manny assaulted a 61-year old man for no good reason.
2) Management gave Manny a 1-game suspension, a slap on the wrist, and just the latest example of coddling that they wouldn't give any other player.
3) In retaliation, Manny, the owner of the some of the finest hitting eyes in league history, takes three strikes down the middle from Rivera without bothering to lift the bat off his shoulders. This is with two out in the ninth, and the Sox in the middle of a rally that has the tying and winning runs on base.

I don't care what he did after that. Personally, I would have banned him from the ballpark after that. I don't like the fact that the Red Sox gave up the best player in the deal, paid the remainder of his salary, and gave up two more players, but I think that tells you how bad the situation got.

And I don't get the angle that the Red Sox demonize their players. Weren't Roger, Pedro, and Nomar traded/released because their asking price far outweighed their performance? Doesn't Belichick do the same thing every goddamned year, which we praise him for? Didn't this team get noticeably better when Nomar was replaced with Cabrera? I really don't understand the opinion.

Last edited:
Here's what I know...

1) Manny assaulted a 61-year old man for no good reason.

Did Pedro assault Zimmer?

2) Management gave Manny a 1-game suspension, a slap on the wrist, and just the latest example of coddling that they wouldn't give any other player.

Maybe the incident was not as dramatic and egregious as we have been led to believe.

3) In retaliation, Manny, the owner of the some of the finest hitting eyes in league history, takes three strikes down the middle from Rivera without bothering to lift the bat off his shoulders. This is with two out in the ninth, and the Sox in the middle of a rally that has the tying and winning runs on base.

This info was passed thru Bob Lobel on WEEI from Red Sox management. It's funny how Red Sox management on the one hand tells us Ramirez is in decline and not worth an extension, and on the other tells us it's a disgrace he struck out against Rivera, the best closer in league history, who's having his best season in years.

I don't care what he did after that. Personally, I would have banned him from the ballpark after that. I don't like the fact that the Red Sox gave up the best player in the deal, paid the remainder of his salary, and gave up two more players, but I think that tells you how bad the situation got.

And I don't get the angle that the Red Sox demonize their players. Weren't Roger, Pedro, and Nomar traded/released because their asking price far outweighed their performance?

Releasing players is not the problem; it's the longstanding pattern of Red Sox management gratuitously slandering those players thru toadies in the press that is a disgrace. Poisoning the fan base against players is one of the weapons they use in contract negotiations, and then to grease the skids before dumping them. That's obvious and despicable.

We've seen it over and over again.

Doesn't Belichick do the same thing every goddamned year, which we praise him for?

When Asante Samuel was having contract issues last summer, what did BB do? He agreed not to franchise him, and ended the problem.

All Theo had to do was agree to refuse Ramirez' one year option, and the problem with a famously mercurial ahtlete would have ended as recently as this week; Ramirez would have played the season out with gusto. Theo refused to forego Baseball's version of a franchise tag, precipitating this mess with one of the franchise's legendary players.

Didn't this team get noticeably better when Nomar was replaced with Cabrera?

Nomar was a shadow of himself, all but done, at the time of his trade. Manny hit .375 in July and is #6 in the AL in OPS, playing in the weighted AL East, the best division in baseball.

I really don't understand the opinion.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do people really believe that the FO, the media, and his teammates all banded together to make Manny look worse?

Are the reports about him forgetting which knee he claimed was injured false? or the reports about his teammates wanting him gone false? Did he never really push over the secretary?

In the words of Bronson Arroyo, a man who has spent more time with Manny than any of us here: "on the inside he's got a lot of conspiracy theories going on" Making up conspiracies about how everyone is out to get him is something close to Manny's heart.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your post is almost too delusional to respond to, but I need clarification on one thing: how did the organization demonize Manny here? Did they clone him and it was the clone that said and did all of that stupid s**t the past few weeks?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I really don't think anybody poisoned the fans against Manny but Manny himself. You point out the Asante situation, and that's fine to do. What about the Milloy situation? Woody? McGinest? Law (which is probably the best parallel to Ramirez)? They and management had differing opinions of their value. Same as Nomar, Roger, Pedro, Mo, hell, all the way back to Fisk and Lynn.

Manny was determined to shoot his way out of town. Did Theo say "Manny doesn't deserve to be a member of the Red Sox?" Did he say "We're sick of Manny, and Manny's sick of us?" Did he joke "Were trading Manny for Brett Favre straight up?" Sorry, no sale. Manny single-handedly created this situation, unless you want to blame management or Francona for not doing anything about it previously.

Did Pedro assault Zimmer? No, Zimmer attempted to assault Pedro for some reason. There was a reason Pedro was not disciplined by the team or league -- he was defending himself. Are you suggesting that Jack attacked Manny, and Manny retaliated by pushing him down?

In regards to the Rivera incident, I don't know about Lobel. I saw the goddamn at bat with my own eyes. Manny never once thought about swinging at three pitches over the plate. Rivera knew it too. Why would he throw a fastball down the middle on an 0-2 count otherwise?

I don't know what goes on in the inner offices of Fenway, but I think on Manny specifically, you're grasping at straws.

And I don't get the angle that the Red Sox demonize their players. Weren't Roger, Pedro, and Nomar traded/released because their asking price far outweighed their performance? Doesn't Belichick do the same thing every goddamned year, which we praise him for? Didn't this team get noticeably better when Nomar was replaced with Cabrera? I really don't understand the opinion.

BIG difference is Belichick and the Pats don't routinely trash and demonize their players when they cut or trade them, whereas the Sox definitely have a media hatchet job on whoever they trade.

The real hatchet job on Manny was watching as Bay scored both runs in last night's game to win his debut with the Sox.

The Red Sox management certainly orchestrated that hatchet job.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back