Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Vernon Gholston, week 15: Bench warmer.

Jerod Mayo, week 15: Signal caller.

Veteran Mike Vrabel is the top signal-caller, but when Vrabel was knocked out of Sunday's game for two plays in the second quarter, Mayo took over. Mayo also called the defense on the final series, as Vrabel earned a well-deserved break.

Coach Bill Belichick said he had no hesitation putting a first-year player in that role.

"For a rookie, he is probably as professional as anybody I've coached," Belichick said.

And to think there were people who actually thought the JEST got one over on the Pats by taking Gholston. . . . :D

Last edited:
The Jets were all about signing big names last year. Gholston is still good, he just needs to be rushing the passer every down

Last edited:
man i remember when if we didnt get gholston we would be nothing ...he has been benched since last week even from special teams play.

Thats extremely impressive that Bill had a rookie calling the defensive plays. Thats a ton of trust that is not often given out. If Mayo has already earned, I see big things in his future.

Are you freakin kidding me? I know it's only been 1 season, but as it stands now, Mayo is looking like BB/Pioli's smartest draft pick since......I don't know, 2000?

Loner Goatston is down by the pond behind the Rats complex..that little narrow dirt path where he goes to be alone...by himself...away from the team and all the other players...tremendous pick..."although he does seem to take plays off during the game..."...heh...yeah,looks like the predraft analysis was close to right, except he takes EVERY play off...monumental bust.

Are you freakin kidding me? I know it's only been 1 season, but as it stands now, Mayo is looking like BB/Pioli's smartest draft pick since......I don't know, 2000?

2001, seymour ?

Ryan Clady (my preference) is playing at a pro bowl level in Denver. Keith Rivers was looking good before he got hurt. McKelvin looks like a keeper for Buffalo. Stewart is helping the Panthers in their run for the #1 seed in the NFC. Branden Albert is making Kansas City very happy....

Assuming they aren't system reliant, any one of those players could have been taken in the Mayo slot, and the team and fans would still be very happy.

Last edited:
we dont even know if Gholston was on our radar.

but mayo presents the greatest increase in productivity from what we would other wise have over a rb, cb or tackle

The Jets were all about signing big names last year. Gholston is still good, he just needs to be rushing the passer every down

I'm not convinced of that - but I think EVERYONe - likely including the Jets front office, knew that there was as much a chance Gholston was not going to live up to his hype as there was a chance he'd be every bit as good as it.

I don't think Belichick would have taken him simply because he doesn't like to take such chances with high draft picks. The Jets obviously felt he was worth the risk - doesn't look like its going to pan out.

That is amazing about Mayo. I wasn't that excited about the pick in last April's draft but he looks like he could be one of the best MLB's in the league for years to come. As far as Gholston being a bust, It looks like he would be better in a 4-3.

That is amazing about Mayo. I wasn't that excited about the pick in last April's draft but he looks like he could be one of the best MLB's in the league for years to come. As far as Gholston being a bust, It looks like he would be better in a 4-3.

Gholston would be much stronger in the 4-3. Not a great change-of-direction guy, it seems. Funny to think I was sorry we missed out on him.

The more I learn, the less I know... ;)

Which is really the anti-Patriot (and by inheriting nature, anti-Mangini) way. If you're one-dimensional at your position, you better contribute something to special teams or you're a practice squad player. Versatility is one of the keys to absorbing the injuries we've had this year.

I don't follow college players so by the time the draft comes around I listen to everyone else as to who is good and who isn't. I remember in April's draft lots of "analysts" thought we got the booby prize with Mayo after the Jets "stole" our pick, Gholston, and put another one over on the Pats. BB must have secret chuckles when he hears things like Gholston being benched.

On other draft picks that have been good by the Pats, how about Wilfork? I remember everyone being excited that he fell to No. 20 (was it in 2003 or 2004? I can't remember). That pick certainly has lived up to the hype.

I was in the please, please, please do not take Gholston club. managed most of his success by being a strong straight ahead bull rushing type of player. he was merely average at best when he took on the better )-lines in college. Inside word is that the Jet's borrowed Bobby Grier's stopwatch to evaluate Vern Gholston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots