Welcome to PatsFans.com

Another racist senator criticizes Obama's leadership abilities

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"Mr. President, I rise today to talk about America's debt problem. The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure.

Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that the buck stops here. Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit."
    - Sen. Barack Obama, 2006

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

"I think that it’s important to understand the vantage point of a senator versus the vantage point of a ... president. When you’re a senator, traditionally what’s happened is, this is always a lousy vote. Nobody likes to be tagged as having increased the debt limit for the United States by a trillion dollars. ... As president, you start realizing: 'You know what? We -- we can’t play around with this stuff. This is the full faith in credit of the United States.' And so that was just a example of a new senator, you know, making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country. And I’m the first one to acknowledge it."

Obama Explains 2006 Debt Limit Vote | POLITICO 44

3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pretty gutless backtracking, seems to me. But I agree that he is just way too much of a novice to hold the most powerful office in the world. Too bad people like you didn't realize that 3 years ago.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Obama sucks at explaining things. I can't listen to him anymore. He contradicts himself left and right. He changes his mind whenever the Owners tell him to. He's no different than the last ten we've had.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +820 / 2 / -9

Harry Likes This

6. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

Even worse that the pubbies didn't offer a better alternative.

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

The alternative speaks:

The idea seems to be that if the House GOP refuses to raise the debt ceiling, a default crisis or gradual government shutdown will ensue and the public will turn en masse against Barack Obama.... Then Democrats would have no choice but to pass a balanced-budget amendment and reform entitlements, and the tea party hobbits could return to Middle-earth having defeated Mordor.

"This is the kind of crack political thinking that turned Sharron Angle and Christine O'Donnell into GOP Senate nominees.

The reality is the debt limit will be raised one way or the other.... If conservatives defeat the [GOP] plan, they will not only undermine their House majority, they will go far to reelecting Mr. Obama and making entitlements that much harder to reform."

John McCain derides 'tea party hobbits' in debt ceiling fight - latimes.com

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +356 / 15 / -12

Anyone who read the news would know that Obama has proposed $4 trillion in deficit reduction (by backing the bipartisan Gang of Six proposal) through budget cuts primarily and closing some tax loopholes. If Bush had made a similar proposal, perhaps Obama would not have said what he said.

9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well it's too bad President Obama doesn't support the same initiatives that Senator Obama did. Otherwise this country would not be in the current crisis that he has steered us headfirst into at breakneck speed.

No impartial analysis of the Obama administration could ever conclude anything other than the fact that it has been a complete disaster.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +664 / 7 / -2

I do believe McLame was reading that directly from a newspaper article. I don't think McLame knows what the Lord of the Rings is.

As for the two Barack Obama's, the one circa 2006, then the one circa 2011, is anyone surprised? This is where I tend to give credit to the freshman in congress who are refusing to sign a worthless agreement designed only to publically save face for the politcal establishment. They will not cede their principles for a deal that isn't worth the paper it's written on. I personally prefer we default, than sign some toothless plan that will do nothing to alter the current course being travelled. We won't default, as I believe some sort of deal will be made, but I want the principled to play chicken until the establishment pulls the wheel and caves in to real reform.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +664 / 7 / -2

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................

More meaningless numbers thrown out to the dumb down public to sound good. Where's the plan, and what are the details? That's right, there aren't any.

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know I'm not. I think it's really little more than Senator Obama having absolutely no idea how far in over his head he would be as President Obama.

Obama is clearly the most ill-prepared President in quite some time. He has absolutely no idea what is going on around him or how to fix it.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +664 / 7 / -2

He's exactly what I expected him to be. Well intentioned in what he believes, but completely lacking of an understanding of reality, and thus well in over his head. If people remember my advice to him (not that he would ever listen) was to run for governor of Illinois first. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes he had now.

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That was an excellent idea. That way he could only destroy 1 state instead of 50.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +664 / 7 / -2

haha, well to be fair to him he's not the only reason we're in the **** hole we're in. He's contributed to the problem, but he's merely one of many who have.

16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +308 / 9 / -12

Tea Party freshmen holding out for Cap Cut and Balance, Boehner cries and delays vote.

Good for the Freshman Tea Party congresscritters standing up to the establishment business as usual.

Epic great day for the pats btw.

17. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I guess it's all perspective but I wouldn't consider home mortgage interest deduction, charitable contributions and health insurance being considered as taxable income to be 'loopholes'.

Bipartisan tax plan trims mortgage deduction - Yahoo! News

18. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +731 / 11 / -7

I agree w/you, but the Gang of Six plan punts on the details. From your link:

One can only hope this is the way it's done.

The very fact that we can't stomach even talking about getting the rates to sustainable levels is just proof of our addiction to the "taxes badddddd" mantra.

But if we're going to claim we can simplify our way to more revenues, we'd damn well better not simplify the poor into greater poverty, and the middle class into a lesser state of poverty.

PFnV

19. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

more like "the reason we are here today is because past presidents helped to royally f their own country up the ass multiple times with multiple debt limit raises...."

20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

It is interesting to see how the word "racism" is used in this thread... the use of such automatically defies intellectual discourse..