Welcome to PatsFans.com

Another Politician Exaggerates War Experience

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +349 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Here we go again.......what's up with people, anyhow? This is Lying 101 - if it can be fact checked, you're probably better off not saying it.

In an interview with the Arizona Republic on Tuesday, Arizona govenor, Janet Brewer, is quoted as saying "knowing that my father died fighting the Nazi regime in Germany, that I lost him when I was 11 because of that ... and then to have them call me Hitler's daughter. It hurts. It's ugliness beyond anything I've ever experienced."

Brewer's statement is in response to attacks she's received from some members of the anti-SB 1070 crowd who have suggested that Arizona's controversial immigration law is similar to what went on in Nazi Germany.

There's a minor problem: Brewer's pops died in California -- 10 years after the war ended -- and last time we checked, the Blitzkrieg never found its way to Hollywood.

According to the Arizona Guardian, which broke the news of Brewer's fib, Jan's dad never even left U.S. soil during WWII and served as a civilian supervisor for a naval munitions depot in Hawthorne, Nevada, during the war.

He died of lung disease in 1955 -- 10 years after the war ended -- in California.

Governor Jan Brewer Says Her Pops Died "Fighting the Nazi Regime in Germany." One Problem: No He Didn't - Phoenix News - Valley Fever
  2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Your link did not work for me.......

I saw this though..... It's an exaggeration, and a stretch for sure........ But her father died from lung cancer that was attributed to toxic fumes he inhaled while working in a munitions factory during WW2.

To say he died "fighting the Nazi's" is misleading, but it's not a stretch to say that he died from war related causes. I have a friend that every year celebrates Memorial Day with sadness and considerable pride for his grand-uncle who "DIED" in WW2. The truth of the matter that he actually died in California in 1943 on a training accident while learning to fly Dauntless Fighter planes for the war. Should I tell him it's his pride is not deserved?

Was he killed in the war...... Ummmmm, technically no he wasn't. Did his die in WW2? yeah, I'd say he did and has every right to be proud of his Grand-uncles contributions.

In any event........ It's hardly on the same plain as altogether LYING about your service record and weather you served in a theatre of war or not. At least IMO anyway.

One embellishes, the other is outright deception. It's a minor point, and neither is the right thing to do, but one is certainly LESS WRONG then the other.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I can see how this is as bad as a guy claiming he went over and fought in Vietnam :rolleyes:
  4. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I don't know. I'm sure losing her father at the age of 11 was a pretty traumatizing thing to her. If his early death was somehow related to his service, I don't think it is a stretch that she would rationalize it by saying he dies in service to country. So why the technicalities might be off I am sure the outrage she feels is genuine. Regardless if he died or not, he served his country and basically calling him Hitler is out of line.
  5. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Another fun one I haven't seen ripped on yet in the forums is Mark Kirk, he seems to have lied over and over again about his military experience.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What's wrong with this generation of insecure, lightweight politicians? I had many men in my family serve in very intense combat situations and never one of them mentioned it, much less wore it on their sleeves. They were glad it was over and would just as soon forget what happened for many obvious reasons. The common thread when the subject was occasionally brought up was "No big deal". Kinda like the guy in the Deer Hunter who was having a drink at the bar during the wedding scene before the boys went to Nam..."F#*K it"

These politicians have some idea in their head that one of the pre-requisites for election is military combat service. How about just being a competent Senator or whatever? It's not a bad thing to not have had to kill someone. We're not that impressed considering the club you want to join.
  7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Well said...........
  8. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

How do you know when a liberal gets caught doing something wrong? The church of liberals starts flooding everything they can with a Republican and or conservative did it too stories. How quickly Obama's stories of his "Auswitch liberating" uncle were forgotten. YouTube - Obama's uncle liberated Auschwitz?
  9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1 +1 +1 and I am ashamed of myself - ashamed! - that I had forgotten that little anecdote! :rocker: :rocker:
  10. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

which liberal are you referring to?

By the way, it turned out that his uncle did help liberate a camp, it just wasn't Auschwitz
  11. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

But seeing that Auschwitz was the MOST infamous Nazi Death Camp that practically dwarfed all other camps in terms of death, destruction and suffering, it's a pretty major detail to get wrong.

I played football once, but that doesn't mean I can claim it was the NFL, does't it.
  12. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Obama's Uncle liberated Auschwitz.
    Auschwitz was liberated by communists.
    Obama is a communist?
  13. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

I think this falls into the same characterization as you forth re. Brewer -- which I agreed with.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not to mention that, as any 9th grader can tell you, it was the Russians (excuse me, the Soviets) who liberated Auschwitz.

Obama's comment was the sort of one that would have made national headlines for weeks if Bush had said it. But since it was the liberal candidate Obama, the media gave him their usual free pass.
  15. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

I don't think many 9th graders could tell you that.

In fact, most adults in our country probably can't tell you that.

Of course, most people also know that somebody who died in the 50s wasn't killed in WWII
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're right. I should have said "most 9th graders who attend private schools and not the hellhole that is our failing, union-dominated public school system can tell you..."
  17. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Not having died during the war does not disqualify him from dying as a result of serving in the war. Is this really that hard to understand?
  18. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I had an uncle that died when i was he was 42, he voluntiered for the Air Force in WW11. He was a tail gunner on a B-17, after he flew the First 25 manditory Missions he voluntierd for another 25... Fifty missions in all.
    As far as i know he was never shot down and never wounded. The odds of making it through twenty five missions alive and unhurt was increadible, making it through fifty was a miricle. He wrote to my grandmother that he was medic behind the lines and not to worry even though he was terrified ever time he went up, not thinking he would make it back.
    I was told after the war he couldn't go near an airplane, it made him sick just to hear one droaning over head (a common sound in the fifties and sixties) He had a shoe box full of medals including the Distinguished flying cross with Oak leave clusters. i don't remember hearing him say anything about them. I didn't know until i was older. He was very unassuming as is the case with most of these guys i think.

He died from a heart attack, i've believed that the heart attack was caused by the stress induced by flying those Fifty missions. I've NEVER heard anyone in my family claim that he died fighting the Germans, her excuse is bullsh!t.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  19. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

It's actually very easy to understand, and nowhere did I contradict that. Sadly, however, that's not what "...my father died fighting the Nazi regime..." means.

Like I also said, I think that's nitpicking, probably on the part of partisans on the left who want a reason to attack her, regardless of the spirit of what she was saying.

Just like I think it's nitpicking, probably on the part of partisans on the right who want a reason to attack Obama regardless of the spirit of what he was saying (2 years ago...).
  20. BSR

BSR Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

So you have no problem if someone called him Hitler?