PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another player the Pats "should have drafted" over McCourty gets arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently, Jerry Hughes got arrested last night at a bar for public intoxication. So far his arrest stats are far more impressive than his stats on the football field in the NFL.

Ok, Dez Bryant was never actually arrested, but he was detained by authorities this past spring.

Last edited:
6 tackles all season! Great production from a 1st rounder!

Wiki says he is expected to be released! Must be true :rolleyes:

Colts have had some pretty terrible drafts the last few years.

BigBlueDope is going to have a field day tomorrow.

Apparently, Jerry Hughes got arrested last night at a bar for public intoxication. So far his arrest stats are far more impressive than his stats on the football field in the NFL.

Ok, Dez Bryant was never actually arrested, but he was detained by authorities this past spring.

I'll admit I liked Hughes at the time and would have rather him over Mccourty on draft day. :bricks:

However, Dez may be the next NFL pain in the @$$ (T.O, Moss), but I still think he will be a stud WR.

Who did you like on draft day? Be honest. :D

Ok, so he was drunk at a bar, why is this news? I've been drunk at a bar before and I bet quite a few HoF players have as well, I don't see how that makes him a bust or potential bust.

With Freeney and Mathis on the ends it's pretty unlikely that any rookie is going to get much playing time, that doesnt mean that drafting him was a mistake by the Colts. Furthermore, how do we know he wouldnt have been an emerging stud pass-rusher that so many on this board want?

That said, I'm rather pleased with McCourty and will not stop campaigning for BB put together a trade with the Titans to secure hiss twin brother Jason McCourty.

‪The McCourty Twins‬‏ - YouTube

I'll admit I liked Hughes at the time and would have rather him over Mccourty on draft day. :bricks:

However, Dez may be the next NFL pain in the @$$ (T.O, Moss), but I still think he will be a stud WR.

Who did you like on draft day? Be honest. :D

Personally, I didn't really love anyone, but had a few guys. I have learned not to love anyone because the Pats will most likely draft someone else other than who you love.

Never wanted Bryant though. I thought he was a bad fit for the Pats. Bad attitude. Questions about his football intelligence.

Didn't know enough about Hughes, but from what I did know I questioned whether he was a good fit. I thought there were questions about his intelligence and motivation along with his complete inability to defend the run if I remember correctly. I do know he was a horrible pick for the Colts because most experts said he was too small and couldn't handle DE at the Pro level.

I didn't know enough about McCourty at the time the Pats drafted him because I didn't expect him to be on their board. I fell in love with him pretty quickly after I found out he was a shutdown CB in college.

Last edited:
Ok, so he was drunk at a bar, why is this news? I've been drunk at a bar before and I bet quite a few HoF players have as well, I don't see how that makes him a bust or potential bust.

With Freeney and Mathis on the ends it's pretty unlikely that any rookie is going to get much playing time, that doesnt mean that drafting him was a mistake by the Colts. Furthermore, how do we know he wouldnt have been an emerging stud pass-rusher that so many on this board want?

That said, I'm rather pleased with McCourty and will not stop campaigning for BB put together a trade with the Titans to secure hiss twin brother Jason McCourty.

‪The McCourty Twins‬‏ - YouTube

First, he was arrested. That is why it is news. Being drunk at a bar is not news. Being so drunk and disorderly that it gets you arrested is news.

Second, it doesn't make him a bust, but he is well on his way to being one. He can easily rebound, but word out of Indy last year was that he was overweight and slow (and he was such a high prospect because of his speed).

Third, he was drafted to replace Mathis who is very vocally unhappy with his contract and in his last year. The Colts wanted Hughes to get into a rotation quickly so they can decide if they have to resign Mathis or not (he is over 30 and looking to break the bank). Hughes wasn't even on the active roster for the first quarter of the season and saw the field very sparingly.

Hughes could turn it around, but he was expected to contribute right away (just like most first round picks that aren't QBs). He didn't really do anything. He could change that in year two or last night's arrest could be the start of a further decline into bustdom.

First, he was arrested. That is why it is news. Being drunk at a bar is not news. Being so drunk and disorderly that it gets you arrested is news.

Second, it doesn't make him a bust, but he is well on his way to being one. He can easily rebound, but word out of Indy last year was that he was overweight and slow (and he was such a high prospect because of his speed).

Third, he was drafted to replace Mathis who is very vocally unhappy with his contract and in his last year. The Colts wanted Hughes to get into a rotation quickly so they can decide if they have to resign Mathis or not (he is over 30 and looking to break the bank). Hughes wasn't even on the active roster for the first quarter of the season and saw the field very sparingly.

Hughes could turn it around, but he was expected to contribute right away (just like most first round picks that aren't QBs). He didn't really do anything. He could change that in year two or last night's arrest could be the start of a further decline into bustdom.

How do you know he was drunk and disorderly, because he was arrested? I use to be a bouncer at a bar and I've seen people arrested for very little, so I'm not going to automatically assume the worst.

The aspects of his play that you mentioned are relevant to his potential to be a bust, and I don't have a problem with a thread talking smack about the Colt's draft choices highlighting Hughes for those reasons.

I remember the whose discussions. There were a lot of people who didn't want the guy, because they didn't think he fit the system. If "should have drafted" is going to be newsworthy, you might as well post about every player taken after a Patriots pick, because you're not likely to get unanimous picks outside the top 5 or so.

How do you know he was drunk and disorderly, because he was arrested? I use to be a bouncer at a bar and I've seen people arrested for very little, so I'm not going to automatically assume the worst.

The aspects of his play that you mentioned are relevant to his potential to be a bust, and I don't have a problem with a thread talking smack about the Colt's draft choices highlighting Hughes for those reasons.

Well, considering that he was arrested with former Cowboys Steven Hodge and former TCU player Cory Grant, it is probably not "very little" although it isn't the worst crime in the book. According to the report:

Police say officers working nearby noticed a disturbance in the nearby nightclub and saw it continue outside on the sidewalk.

Ex-Cowboys and current Colts player arrested in Dallas | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

As it is always said nothing good happens after 2AM. It doesn't make Hughes a cancer or anything like that, but it does question his judgement a bit.

Snake Eyes - Please read.

Colts' Jerry Hughes arrested in Dallas Sunday - CBSSports.com

3 former TCU football players arrested on suspicion of public intoxication | Crime and Saf...

Yeah, read it, but it still doesnt say much, a disturbance? Being drunk and loud can be a "disturbance", I don't know exactly what happened at the club but my rule of thumb is that alcohol, testosterone, and females a make for an excellent breeding ground for "incidents" to happen, that doesn't necessarily make for a black mark IMO. Assaulting a traffic cop with a car, like Randy Moss did, would be a serious black mark on someone.

Rob0729, you are quite correct regarding 2am, but I doubt that will matter to a bunch of testosterone laden kids with way more money/fame than maturity.

Suspicion of public intoxication. The world really is going to ****.

Yeah, people talk about "thought crime" but that's at least within the control of the person having the forbidden thought, this "suspicion" business lies completely in the realm about what someone else, in this case a police officer, thinks.

We're starting to make Orwell look unimaginative and optimistic.

Just a thought, but the same people who are calling Hughes a bust tend to adamantly state that you can't label Patriots a bust after one year. The same rules apply to Hughes as anyone else: wait a few years, then judge.

Just a thought, but the same people who are calling Hughes a bust tend to adamantly state that you can't label Patriots a bust after one year. The same rules apply to Hughes as anyone else: wait a few years, then judge.

Players who play for the Colts and JEST can be labeled busts at any time. ;)

oh yeah?????

well....how about suspicion of being a morbidly obese, slobbermouthed ,toe-sniffin' ,deadbeat dad lovin',statutory rapist backing, sideline trippin', middle finger throwing turd on a toad stool???

I,for one, DEMAND an investigation!!!!...:yeeha:

Ndamukong Suh and Carlos Dunlap are the only ones from last years Draft to have more then 5 sacks, to be fair to Jerry Hughes he never started a single game if you wanna call him a bust then you can say the same about Jermaine Cunningham who only had 1 sack and 27 tackles in 11 starts... most of the vets on the bord always say you Don't know how good a player really is untill he's 3rd year in the NFL and we all seen that to be true with BJGE who went from a no body to a 1000 yerd 13 TD running back in hes 3rd season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes