Welcome to PatsFans.com

ANOTHER Obama nominee owes taxes!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, Mar 3, 2009.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

I think that Obama has finally figured out how to solve the deficeit, he is going to nominate every Democrat to a post in his cabinet, and after they all pay there back taxes, we might be only 150 trillion in debt!!!

Newsmax.com - Obama&#39s Trade Rep. Kirk Also Owes Back Taxes

WASHINGTON – Another Obama administration nominee has tax troubles. This time, it's Ron Kirk, the president's choice to be U.S. trade representative.

Kirk owes an estimated $10,000 in back taxes from earlier in the decade and has agreed to pay them, the Senate Finance Committee said Monday. The committee said the taxes arise from Kirk's handling of speaking fees he donated to a scholarship fund that he set up at his alma mater, and for his deduction of the full cost of season tickets to the Dallas Mavericks professional basketball team.

Kirk also agreed to make changes in his accounting of charitable deductions, including reducing the claimed value of a donated television from $3,000 to $1,500.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Obama should have learned from Bush:

White House To Withhold Nominee's Tax Returns

The Bush administration will not give Senate investigators access to the federal tax returns of Supreme Court nominee John G. Roberts Jr., White House and congressional officials said yesterday, a break with precedent that could exacerbate a growing conflict over document disclosure in the confirmation process.

Although nominees to the high court in recent decades were required to provide their three most recent annual tax forms, the administration will neither collect such documents from Roberts nor share them with the Senate Judiciary Committee, the officials said. Instead, the Internal Revenue Service will produce a one-page summary.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

LMAO, Obama defenders have the lowest standards around - Bush did it too. What a joke, they call Bush an idiot then use his actions to defend Obama.

Call it like you see it Patters, be honest, stand up like a man and admit this is bullsh!t. Your beloved President is a joke, he raises taxes, you know what Biden said about paying taxes, and yet half his nominees didn't bother.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 1 / -9

Obama is nothing but a do-gooder liberals diversity "poster boy" he's a friggin joke.

The idiot moron that beat the democrats twice is down in Texas drinking beer and laughing his a$s off.
  5. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That's because it is all they have left to cling to! Whats even worse is while i expect that 10 year old type of defense on this forum, i don't expect it from the main stream media so called professionals, it is has become laughable. No matter what he does wrong it gets rationalized because bush did it.
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Clinton did it too!!

The Dems voted for it too!!!

<bacaw!!!!>

You've just lambasted yourself... and you probably don't even realize it... hypocrite.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It seems to always been the ones who want bigger government and hand in hand higher taxes that don't pay their taxes. :rolleyes:
  8. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It seems to always be the ones who want bigger government and hand in hand higher taxes that don't pay their taxes. :rolleyes:
  9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This is getting to be a pattern with this "new" administration. This is the "change we need" ????

:confused:

//
  10. Michael

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

As they say after Obama is through change is all you will have left.
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Scary, unpleasant thought.

:(

//
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I suspect at some level you know this issue is mostly bs, and I very much doubt it I ever went after a Bush candidate on such fluff. Now, I'm not saying it's not sometimes an issue. Certainly, Daschle was another story because he made at least 3 mistakes, but if someone makes a tax error, it's quite possible it's an honest mistake. I've been have a CPA do my taxes for years, and all I do is sign and write a check. I don't look it over very closely, so I trust my CPA to do a good job. I think that's how a lot of people take care of their taxes.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's about the same level as making GM execs take commercial flights to the hearings. I think that is stupid too. The point is, Obama said things would be different - and they're not. But my point is correct that you guys look like fools defending Obama by saying "Bush did it too" when you have already determined that Bush is an idiot.
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Look, I understand there's a political dimension here, and it's useful in DC from that perspective to point out tax violations by Obama's candidates, or extravagance by those taking taxpayer dollars. What I was simply pointing out is the hypocrisy of people who basically spent most of his 8 years defending Bush to suddenly be complaining about Obama's nominees for what are in some case most likely honest mistakes. And as far as Obama goes, things are different, not perfect, but in many ways better. There is more transparency, but he is still drawing from the inside the beltway crowd. Quite honestly, the only who tried to do it differently was Bill Clinton in his first couple of years, but he learned the hard way that if you don't hire people who know how to play Washington's game, you don't get much done.
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

"hypocrisy"???

So, only Obama's people make "honest" mistakes; Bush and his people were all "dishonest"??

Hitler was "honest": he wanted to kill all the Jews.

Stalin was "honest": he wanted to Sovietize the entire world no matter how many lives it cost.

//
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

No, that's not what I said. I already said that I doubt I ever opposed a Bush nominee because they made a tax mistake.

So, are you saying we don't want honesty? Or are you comparing genocide to tax fraud?
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

And we want you to acknowledge the hypocrisy of an administration wanting to raise taxes while nominating a slew of people who didn't fully pay their taxes INCLUDING THE TREASURY SECRETARY.
  18. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

All while Biden is preaching about it being our patriotic duty to pay taxes. Must be the white in him.:confused:
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The way your original post (#14) sounds very much like "Obama's people made an 'honest' mistake, unlike Bush's people." Do you believe Bush's people also made "honest mistakes", or is this the sole province of Obama's folks??

No, I'm not saying honesty is all bad; but it doesn't always produces good fruits all by itself, either. Brutal people are sometimes frank and honest about their intentions -- just as some nice people can be -- so honesty all by itself is not a clear benchmark of "good" or "evil"; that is determined by the goal and purpose of the "honest" or "dishonest" acts themselves. When Mary returned home pregnant to her fiance, Joseph, he asked her, "How did this (her pregnancy) happen?" Mary's answer was, "By the Holy Spirit". If she had told the whole story at that time, Joseph might have had her stoned, which was the penalty for unwed women who got themselves pregnant in those days.

So, full disclosure is usually the best policy, but not always. I'm sure you've told a white lie or two in your life, no?

//
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I'm sure there were times I got caught up in the political rhetoric, but it was rare. I oppose people on political or ethical grounds. I accept that people make mistakes, including Bush appointees. I doubt I ever opposed a Bush nominee on a fluff issue like tax mistakes, unless it was at the level of Tom Daschle who made too many mistakes to believe they were mistakes.

Of course. Then perhaps we are not too far apart on this issue. My view is that blocking an Obama (or any other) nominee because of one tax mistake is not right. I think most people have made tax mistakes, and in some cases they were honest mistakes. As you may know, living overseas, there are parts of the tax law that are vague. For instance, if you're living in a country with a tax treaty in the US and your taxes are higher there, you may not have to pay taxes to the US, but whether or not you have to file is unclear (at least it was when I lived in Sweden in the early 1990s).