PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another non-believer

Status
Not open for further replies.

p8ryts

In the Starting Line-Up
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Eric whatever his name is on NFL Live named the Patriots as the team that could fall out of the playoff picture because of losing Vinatieri and McGinest.
Either he is really stupid or I am (clearly a possibility) but I still think the Pats will be better this year than last year and I don't see the kicker making that big a difference. Replacing Willie's experience and big play ability is a problem but I don't know that its worse than replacing Ted Washington or Damien Woody or Lawyer Milloy and not as hard as replacing Ty Law.

I'm looking for a better hungrier more focused team this year

p8ryts said:
Eric whatever his name is on NFL Live named the Patriots as the team that could fall out of the playoff picture because of losing Vinatieri and McGinest.
Either he is really stupid or I am (clearly a possibility) but I still think the Pats will be better this year than last year and I don't see the kicker making that big a difference. Replacing Willie's experience and big play ability is a problem but I don't know that its worse than replacing Ted Washington or Damien Woody or Lawyer Milloy and not as hard as replacing Ty Law.

I'm looking for a better hungrier more focused team this year

I saw that as well and it really was a dumb comment. Just goes to show you how uniformed many media type really are. If they want to belive the Patriots no longer contend for Superbowl, I can almost understand (not believe) that level of stupidity, but a fall from the playoffs - give me a break.

As for you looking for the Patriots to be hungrier and more focused, I do not agree - tht was one hungry football team at the end of last year, they simply melted down on a weird day in Denver. They only really need two things, a year of injury free football and the draft class to be near as good as it appears, given that it will equal another championship, IMHO.

All those talking ass-clowns just say things to be different and stir the pot. I used to watch them all the time thinking what they had to say was relevent or they had some inside information. But I have since come to my senses and dont watch those shows anymore.

Last edited:
Let them talk. If he had said that the Patriots might fall because of the loss of Givens and Mcginest, he would have had more credibility. But I have yet to see a team fall completely apart because of the loss of a kicker. Adam was clutch, but let's keep it in perspective, he didn't play LB, WR, DB, TE, RB, OL, DL, DB or QB. He had one TD throw on a trick special teams play, but I am certain that he couldn't survive an entire season under center with defenses ready to take his head off. I think that we can survive the loss of a kicker.
I'm not so sure that we can replace the production of Givens and Mcginest, their loss worries me the most. It's easy for these talking heads to say stuff like this in May.

p8ryts, I have to agree with you. I know I sound like a homer saying it but...

1) There's an outside chance Grammatica is his old self, which would take some pressure off Gostkowski. But the rook has a strong enough leg to instantly improve the defense, by lengthening the field (longer kickoffs = fewer scores.) In terms of accuracy, we know Adam can't be "iced." Maybe Ghost can, maybe not. But mechanically speaking, he can punch in the 50 yarders routinely - could Adam? Sure, we don't know as much about clutch, bad weather kicks, but I don't see much of a dropoff otherwise. (And let's be real... Adam was dropping off too last year. The result of losing his religion after the franchise tags? Maybe. The result of age? Also maybe.) So, we're in a world where if you called Adam's performance of 2005 a B, we could go anywhere from B- to A. There's upside as well as risk.

2) Willie Mac - sad to see him go. A definite loss, a definite dropoff somewhere in the LB corps (minimize it by moving Vrabes back outside with Colvin? Still have the ILB issue.) Somewhere in there, a new guy has to work into a pretty complex scheme, or an almost-new guy if its Beisel or TBC.

3) Givens - loved him, especially at playoff time. We've got a second rounder who any other year is a first rounder coming in, along with Reche Caldwell, who should be turning the corner to Givens-level production this year. I don't honestly think we drop off from last year.

4) Who do we get back/add?
a) sometime in the season, maybe game 8 or so, we get back Rodney ("and Hell is coming with him," as I've seen it said.)
b) about a full starting secondary, in addition to Rodney.
c) we get the playing time bump all along the secondary and the O-line (not to mention in the linebacking corps.) Everybody who got experience last season in the "off" year should be better this year.
d) Geno - what to make of his Rodneyless confusion at times last year? I would say a maturing process. I think he's a great young talent that ends up in some pro bowls.
e) Matt Light, either right away or a few games into the season (probably the former.)
f) A healthy Dillon, a healthy Faulk, and - as a backup plan and to spell the usual suspects - one Laurence Moroney. Gee, I wonder how last season would have looked with a running game teams needed to respect? Combine these factors with a "gelled" offensive line, with the exception of Light's return at LT, which can only be a bonus, and I think you're looking at a mo' betta squad, stem to stern.

5) What has to happen for the Pats to drop? The Bills, Phins, or Jets have to make a quantum leap forward. It's all very nice that the Jets now have some guys along the trenches, but please. They are not a playoff team. The Phins are the darlings of the offseason media, but they're looking at possibly starting Joey Harrington - unless of course Daunte Culpepper is ready to go in week one (in which case we get to see him reprise his role in The Young and the Mossless.) Phins fans thinking that adding Daunte immediately makes Chris Chambers into Randy Moss, need to consider the alternative, that removing the Moss hookup makes Culpepper into Jay Fiedler or AJ Feeley. The best weapon they have is headed to Toronto. (But I have to say I need to catch some Argonauts games this summer. As I understand it, former deadheads will be following the Argonauts to away games, trading "play lists" in the parking lot after the game, and camping out in smoke filled microbuses. Rumors that the Argos have replaced their marching band with a drum circle are thus far unsubstantiated...)

Back to the point - the Pats head into 06 stronger than they were in 05. This is often (though not always) the case for the Pats, since they tend to amass injuries each season. Whether they are super bowl bound again depends on their health.

But the odd man out in the playoffs? Rumors of the Pats' demise have been somewhat exaggerated.

PFnV

so stupid

we lost Law..we made SB and playoffs the whole yr without him
we lost Milloy..we won 2 SBs

we did it without key players..injuries/cuts/trades..we know what were doing

Beoli know what they are doing..we had money..why hot resign Willie and Givens and Adam? Theyk now we can replace them without having to pay too much

PatsFanInVa said:
e) Matt Light, either right away or a few games into the season (probably the former.)
f) A healthy Dillon, a healthy Faulk, and - as a backup plan and to spell the usual suspects - one Laurence Moroney. Gee, I wonder how last season would have looked with a running game teams needed to respect? Combine these factors with a "gelled" offensive line, with the exception of Light's return at LT, which can only be a bonus, and I think you're looking at a mo' betta squad, stem to stern.

I definitely see Light ready to return at the beginning of the season. Let's not forget the Pats held out hope for almost the entire season that he would be ready to come back for the playoffs. They finally placed him on I.R. to end his season in December. I find it tough to see that he wouldn't be able to start training camp - nevermind the season - but the Patriots still kept a valuable roster spot in hopes he would be ready for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Just exactly what team does this man think will displace the Pats from the playoffs, let alone the SB?

Colts? Duh, they can't even win at home in the AFC Champ. game and they lost a central cog in their offense. 'Ever seen Manning's numbers when Edge didn't play???

Chargers? Didn't make the playoffs last year and have switrched from superstar QB to an inexperienced QB, that doesn't sound like a formula for success.

Broncos? They were a fraud team last year and now Plummer will start having a hissy fit because the Broncos moved up for a QB in the first round - this team could be a disaster.

Bengals? Palmer won;t be in top form until midseason by then their season will be over most likely.

Jags? You've got to be kidding. Subtract Jimmy Smith from next to nothing and you get

Chiefs? I have two reassuring words for you - Herm Edwards.

Fins? Well, the knife fight between Vick and Culpepper at passing camp will put one in jail and the other in the hospital. Ricky the Stoner will be sorely missed, ack, imagine if Brown gets hurt - they're finished. Plus, the D isn't really that good and is centered on older players. Saban has proven nothing yet. Look for a hot start then misery and screaming as Vick and Traylor shoot each other in the player's parking lot.

Ravens? If they get McNair they will be a real problem, at least they have a pretty tough schedule. I'm glad we don't play them...

The Men of Steel? The only certified non-pretender in the bunch. Big Boob will decide their fate.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Fins? Well, the knife fight between Vick and Culpepper at passing camp will put one in jail and the other in the hospital. Ricky the Stoner will be sorely missed, ack, imagine if Brown gets hurt - they're finished. Plus, the D isn't really that good and is centered on older players. Saban has proven nothing yet. Look for a hot start then misery and screaming as Vick and Traylor shoot each other in the player's parking lot.

but what about Harrington?:D

chargers are interesting to me because I believe in that kid, and I was never that high on brees to begin with...but they might still be a year off.

the colts do not scare me and never have...as long as our injury report isn't ten pages long -- it's just too bad we don't get to kick their ass in the RCA Dome this season (maybe playoffs though).

bengals are still one-dimensional, but that offense is mighty potent...looks to me like Palmer is on track to do what he needs to do in the pocket.

broncos?, who knows...same with chiefs. NFC looks a little better this year.

but I'm excited about the Pats this year -- as was pointed out, there's so much upside built into this team.:rocker:

At first I thought the guy had a point. We've lost three great players and now we're looking into the 'bush' so to speak. Maybe the n00bs will step up, maybe they won't. Then I realised he said "playoff picture." Which means he figures the Jest, Miami or Buffalo will pass us and no WC will be available either. That's a pretty serious insult.

Holy crap! I've never been so excited about an upcoming football season before! I do think the Steelers are a much tougher team than anyone here ever wants to give credit for, and hte Chargers could be really good with Rivers, but you're right, the AFC has a lot of paper tigers.

Hey, it would have been nice to have AV and McGinest finish out their careers here for well paid but reasonable salaries.

But since that's not what happened, let me ask.

What was the name of the kicker and backup DE for the Super Bowl Champion Steelers?

Maybe you actually know the answers - regardless, they weren't Vinateiri or McGinest - so, yes Virginia, it is possible to win a SB without those two guys!

;)

I'm really grateful to talking head idiots like Eric whatever. They enable Pats players and fans alike to continue the "no respect" theme and keep us from getting complacent. Thanks Eric!

p8ryts said:

Eric Allen maybe? The bitter ex-Raider who still has the Snow Bowl on his mind. His opinion is worth jack****.

Heaven's to Betsy -- if I'd known it was an ex-Raider. Well that renders his opinion of all things Patriot moot.

Early take
Pats 13-3:dominant
Miami 8-8: tougher schedule, ? at QB
Jets 6-10: Blah
Buffalo 5-11: Double Blah

Baltimore (with McNair): 11-5- McNair the missing piece
Pittburgh 10-6: Roethleberger carries underperforming team
Cleveland 8-8: mildly improved
Cinci: 6-10: Palmer misses entire season

Jackson 11-5: takes charge
Indy 8-8: reverts to '01 form
Ten 6-10: Billy Volek...
Hou 4-12: Mario Williams OK, Carr still sucks

KC 11-5: Herm rides aging O-Line to 11 wins (see Jets circa '04)
Oak 10-6: surprise surprise
Den 9-7: Shanny busts a vein
SD 7-9: cry me a Rivers

JoeSixPat said:
let me ask.

What was the name of the kicker and backup DE for the Super Bowl Champion Steelers?

Maybe you actually know the answers - regardless, they weren't Vinateiri or McGinest - so, yes Virginia, it is possible to win a SB without those two guys!

;)
What is wrong with you? Don't you ever watch ESPN. THe Pats lost players this year. Evidently no other team lost anyone. Also, apparently the Pats did not draft anyone of significance.

Watch ESPN. Pay attention.

We're doomed.

PonyExpress said:
Early take
Pats 13-3:dominant
Miami 8-8: tougher schedule, ? at QB
Jets 6-10: Blah
Buffalo 5-11: Double Blah

Baltimore (with McNair): 11-5- McNair the missing piece
Pittburgh 10-6: Roethleberger carries underperforming team
Cleveland 8-8: mildly improved
Cinci: 6-10: Palmer misses entire season

Jackson 11-5: takes charge
Indy 8-8: reverts to '01 form
Ten 6-10: Billy Volek...
Hou 4-12: Mario Williams OK, Carr still sucks

KC 11-5: Herm rides aging O-Line to 11 wins (see Jets circa '04)
Oak 10-6: surprise surprise
Den 9-7: Shanny busts a vein
SD 7-9: cry me a Rivers

Can't see your AFC North happening. Baltimore goes 8-8, Cleveland 7-9, Cinci 9-7, Pitt 10-6. Whole division stronger, none of them dominant.

The other ones I could see, but not Oakland zipping into contention. Call them 8-8 and happy to get it. Don't see the Denver dive either, though the SD scenario seems on target.

Pats dominant? I call them 12-4, maybe 11-5, to at least take into account for the kick in the butt you don't know is coming.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Can't see your AFC North happening. Baltimore goes 8-8, Cleveland 7-9, Cinci 9-7, Pitt 10-6. Whole division stronger, none of them dominant.

The other ones I could see, but not Oakland zipping into contention. Call them 8-8 and happy to get it. Don't see the Denver dive either, though the SD scenario seems on target.

Pats dominant? I call them 12-4, maybe 11-5, to at least take into account for the kick in the butt you don't know is coming.

PFnV
If Palmer is injured and Cinci goes with Anthony Wright, I see them getting 6 wins and being happy about it. Pittsburgh just won the SB after having enormous pressure on them from their fan base, almost red sox like. I don''t see them maintaining a Patriots' like intensity this year. If Baltimore can get McNair their offense will be very potent: Heap, Mason, last year's rookie, Jamal and Mike Anderson. Their defense is still decent. Cleveland I feel is being overrated by some. i haven't liked either of their drafts since Savage took over and its becoming apparent (to me at least) that the real brains behind the Ravens' drafts belonged to Ozzie. The McGinest and Big Ted acquisitions were overrated. Braylon Edwards won't be beack till after the season starts which leads to... DENVER. Shanahan is banking on two injury prone, fumbling backs: Cobbs and Tatum Bell. I see his running game blowing up in his face a bit this year. Nalen is old and was , frankly, dominated by Wilfork in the playoffs. Never been a Javon Walker fan. Drops way to many passes, and is coming off an ACL tear. Call me in year 2.
Oakland: I like their defensive improvements. Polley is solid, add Huff, and the LBers from the last two drafts and subtract Big Ted and Woodson and I like their direction. Brooks will be better than people expect.
As for the Pats, 13-3 included a couple yips... otherwise i was going 15-1. Note: my usual prediction is 16-0. I'm more realistic this year.:)

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Just exactly what team does this man think will displace the Pats from the playoffs, let alone the SB?

The New York Jets of cousre:rolleyes:

But let him say what he likes and then come playoff time once we sweeped the Jets and were in the playoffs he will wish he had kept it shut!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye