PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another New Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsOwl

Rookie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
New member to the board here, just wanted to introduce myself. Ive checked the site regularly for info, but have now finally decided to take the plunge and join. Im from Sheffield, England and have been an NFL fan for a few years, but never had a team to support until I spent 2004/5 at UMass Amherst (i guess some of you might know it). So i lucked out big time getting surrounded by Pats fans from SB38 onwards! Better than my housemate who had to study at Albany, New York and was exposed to depressing Jets fans! (I had the extreme pleasure of watching the Pats destroy the Steelers in the AFCCG in an apartment full of Jets fans- SWEET! :D )Anyway, I just thought id say hi and introduce myself to all you guys and girls, and i look forward to chatting and hope some of you can help me overcome my NFL ignorance

Welcome to the board!

PatsOwl said:
Hi everyone,
New member to the board here, just wanted to introduce myself. Ive checked the site regularly for info, but have now finally decided to take the plunge and join. Im from Sheffield, England and have been an NFL fan for a few years, but never had a team to support until I spent 2004/5 at UMass Amherst (i guess some of you might know it). So i lucked out big time getting surrounded by Pats fans from SB38 onwards! Better than my housemate who had to study at Albany, New York and was exposed to depressing Jets fans! (I had the extreme pleasure of watching the Pats destroy the Steelers in the AFCCG in an apartment full of Jets fans- SWEET! :D )Anyway, I just thought id say hi and introduce myself to all you guys and girls, and i look forward to chatting and hope some of you can help me overcome my NFL ignorance

Welcome to you, Owl. Though I'm a Yorkie, living in the south, I don't know Sheffield that well (can't tell one hill from another!)

I remember that there used to be an absolutely great local beer (Stone's? Ward's?) but I believe that has been taken over. Last time I was there, my friends took me to a pub called the Devonshire Cat (http://www.devonshirecat.co.uk/content.php). Do you know it?

For any U.S. beer lovers, I think that this place is about as good as it gets!

Haha Yeah Mike your memory is correct, The Devonshire Cat is the local special on a Friday evening. Dont really know the owners so not sure if theyve changed recently. All the pubs in the area are pretty good, the Cavendish is a favourite-awesome for sports. And Stones is still available in a select few pubs, although it is an aquired taste! Im glad to hear Sheffield's reputation reaches down to the South

Welcome! I am also an alumni of the illustrious institution of learning known as the zoo.....

Are you in England, or have you moved to USA for the long haul?

Thanks for the welcomes.
Unfortunately i just got a year at zoo- was in Kennedy. I think one year of red sox riots and the UMass police was enough for me. Im back in England now but would love to move to Boston one day though. I didnt get chance to see the Pats at Gillette though so thats a good enough reason. Tickets were like goldust when I was there, I didnt know anyone who knew how to get any. Then just my luck, as I fly home last summer, a close friend of mine (another zoo member) got a job at a country club outside Boston where Bob Kraft is a member- they have a team meal there every year and she even got to try on one of the rings. So i gotta get back over there soon and hopefully wing some tickets. Do any you guys have season tickets? Were you on a waiting list to get them, it seemed impossible when i was there?

Whats with all the bloomin' tea-drinkers on this site?

Welcome but be advised that we shan't tolerate any of that bleedin' 'gomezcat' stuff or 'Mike the Brit' twiddle.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Clonamery said:
Whats with all the bloomin' tea-drinkers on this site?

Welcome but be advised that we shan't tolerate any of that bleedin' 'gomezcat' stuff or 'Mike the Brit' twiddle.....

As you'll see, Owl, we may have left you with some restoration work to do on our national reputation. ;) I'm sure you'll be up to it ...

Last edited by a moderator:
not a umass alumnus but...

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Welcome! I am also an alumni of the illustrious institution of learning known as the zoo.....Are you in England, or have you moved to USA for the long haul?

welcome!
seems like i spent a good bit of my college years ther, at umass and amherst, and chasing the 'ladies' at holyoke and smith. not too many of them around any more unless you're partial to combat boots.
i hardly know what to say about this board. i can tell you that the patriots are a fine team to adopt. they play well, with passion, and they have talent.
the franchise itself has a hilarious 46-year history....but it wasn't so funny at the time. you'll hear the stories bit by bit. i'm sure some of the british footballers and ruggers have some real characters around. as well.

welcome..another from the UK?? Great!!!

I say, old chap, don't you think it's rather bloody queer that so many Brits are starting to post on this board?

That's pretty much my non-American English vocabulary.

And, welcome to the board.

Mike the Brit said:
Welcome to you, Owl. Though I'm a Yorkie, living in the south, I don't know Sheffield that well (can't tell one hill from another!)

Last time I was there, my friends took me to a pub called the Devonshire Cat (http://www.devonshirecat.co.uk/content.php). Do you know it?

For any U.S. beer lovers, I think that this place is about as good as it gets!

Thanks for the link! I'll have to put this pub on my "to do" list!

I once spent a year (age 11) living in the Yorkshire town of Baildon ("Baildon, Shipley, West Yorkshire BD176JP). I'll never forget the year of wearing a school uniform (red and green striped tie!). Great memories, though it was too early to know the pub circuit. Made it back to the great city of York in '94. The bins of cheap coins and stamps on Stonegate Lane had turned into posh shoppes.

shakadave said:
Thanks for the link! I'll have to put this pub on my "to do" list!

I once spent a year (age 11) living in the Yorkshire town of Baildon ("Baildon, Shipley, West Yorkshire BD176JP). I'll never forget the year of wearing a school uniform (red and green striped tie!). Great memories, though it was too early to know the pub circuit. Made it back to the great city of York in '94. The bins of cheap coins and stamps on Stonegate Lane had turned into posh shoppes.

Great! We can make you an honorary Yorkie (that'll p*ss Gomez off!) I know Baildon -- my late Mum lived there when she first arrived in the UK. That was a LONG time ago.

Mike the Brit said:
Great! We can make you an honorary Yorkie (that'll p*ss Gomez off!) I know Baildon -- my late Mum lived there when she first arrived in the UK. That was a LONG time ago.

Fantastic. If you're an honorary New England resident, the least I could do is be an honorary Yorkie. Great honor at that --- I accept!

The odds of encountering another Pats fan who knows of Baildon are long enough to make my day! Long live Ladderbanks school --- still there in '94, I checked! All this reminiscing makes me want to pick up the latest Whoopee Shiver & Shake to see what the Bumpkin Billionnaires are up to!

PatsOwl said:
Hi everyone,

Welcome Owl. Up the Blades! (Oops!). My welcome is through gritted teeth as a Mancunian. Seriously, welcome aboard. It's all good fun, as long as you stay clear of the Political Forum...... Ask loads of questions. That's the point of the board. Ignore the Americans who appear to have invaded it. Mike and I are taking steps to deal with them. :D

Last edited:
shakadave said:
Fantastic. If you're an honorary New England resident, the least I could do is be an honorary Yorkie. Great honor at that --- I accept!

!

Hiss! Boo! :mad:

PatsOwl said:
And Stones is still available in a select few pubs, although it is an aquired taste!

Seriously? :eek: I used to get ratarsed on that stuff in my teenage years, buying cans from the Off Licence.

PatsOwl said:
Better than my housemate who had to study at Albany, New York and was exposed to depressing Jets fans!

Albany's Giants country, though UA is mostly Long Islanders so I guess that's where the Jets guys come from (even though the Giants training camp is at the school). I wore a Patriots jersey to Giants camp at UA last year, that went over real well.

Anyways, welcome to the board.

UMass...I think I went there for three years in the early eighties or something...I didn't go to classes, just partied a lot with my friends who did and had no money. It's just a blur, though. Welcome. Why the interest in the NFL from the Brits? Are there British Colts fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back