Welcome to PatsFans.com

Another Liberal Trying To Tell You How To Live

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Jan 25, 2008.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There was a time in America when taxes were a manner by which the government raised revenue to fund necessary services. But now, thanks to the American liberal, we see taxes as being a manner of controlling behavior.

"I disapprove of your behavior but I can't illegalize it, so I will just tax it."

Just another example of the nanny state. The government thinks it can do a better job raising your children than you. I don't even mind the "nanny state" invastion so much as I do the fact that these same people are the ones always on their soapboxes saying how much they "love" freedom.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080125230108.k05u9plm&show_article=1

US state wants to tax TVs, video games to fight fat, fund education

A Democratic lawmaker in New Mexico wants to tax televisions and video games to raise funds to fight childhood obesity and improve education in the state, officials said Friday.

"I have asked our legislative council service to prepare the "Leave No Child Inside" bill and am hopeful that it will be ready for me to introduce on Monday," educator-turned-lawmaker Gail Chasey told AFP.

"Leave No Child Inside" -- a play on the federal education initiative "No Child Left Behind" -- is backed by grassroots environmental group, the Sierra Club.

2. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Is the Sierra club one of the Soros-funded groups? I recognize the name. Anyway its pure garbage, the bigger problem is too many parents that will pay any price to have their kids zonked out in front of the TV so they don't have to take care of them.

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

Bingo! You get a prize!

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

define "zonked out".... in this context, ... if you would...

5. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Ridiculous bill. Taxing behaviors to me just isn't right. I understand that this person is concerned about these fat little snots eating too much and playing video games all day, as am I; but you can't tax your way around it in hopes of making it better.

6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It'll go as far as the 'no hitting your kid at all' bill did in MA.

Still waiting for that one to emerge from committee. Speaking up about a bill isn't just about getting it passed. Sometimes bills are proposed for entirely different reasons. I can see this one doing nothing more than creating an impression in the voters' minds that such and such wants to see kids out playing and not getting fat in front of the TV all day. The voters definitely won't remember that this guy was the idiot who proposed a completely unworkable and unenforceable bill that doesn't really jibe with everything else this nation's ever done from a legal perspective. Most of them are too busy counting down the days to the next American Idol episode.

Its not entirely unlike clearing brush from your ranch, personally, whenever there's a camera nearby even though you have 15 guys who do nothing but that all day long and being sure to wear a big azz belt buckle while you do it.