Welcome to PatsFans.com

Another incumbent bites the dust?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Woot! All "establishment" candidates must go. This is the first time I've ever heard of this Miller dude, but good luck to him.

August 25, 2010, 10:28 am

Murkowski on the Ropes in Senate Primary

By JEFF ZELENY

Is another political surprise coming from Alaska?

When Alaska Republicans awoke on Wednesday, they were stunned to see that incumbent Senator Lisa Murkowski was trailing in her party primary, perhaps becoming the latest lawmaker this year to be swept up by an anti-establishment fervor.

Results showed that Joe Miller, whose candidacy was backed by former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and the Tea Party movement, was leading Ms. Murkowski by 1,900 votes. Determining the final outcome could take a day – or several – as a few thousand absentee ballots are counted, but Mr. Miller was winning 51 percent of the vote with 98 percent of precincts reporting, so it would take a shift in the trend for Ms. Murkowski to make up the difference.

If Ms. Murkowski loses, it would be one of the biggest defeats of the year. And that is exactly what Republican leaders in Washington were bracing for on Wednesday, the latest in a growing set of examples that the party’s primary voters were rejecting preferred Republican candidates across the country.

Murkowski on the Ropes in Senate Primary - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

That does not make a lot of sense..

Consider

Alaska is #1 in military expenditure per capita
    Alaska is #1 in Stimulus Money
    Alaska is #1 overall in money per capita...

Alaska has no income tax
    Alaska has the "Permanent Fund", which pays every resident between 1500 and 2K per year..

And they want change...

What they may get is an unaffiliated freshman senator who will get on some obscure committees, anti incumbantism is probably good, but in this case makes no sense for Alaska.. they may loose in the long run, someone does not understand basic civics...

It has been said the reason Alaska is #1 in all these areas was due to the influence of Stevenson and her father Frank Murkowski...

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

Glad to see that Palin could propel Miller over a RINO like Murkowski. He drew support from the Tea Party also.

4. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

OT: What (supposedly?) differentiates RINOs from the "real" Republicans?

5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

They spend almost like dems. They support big government programs and expansion of those programs and they tend to go for pork projects.

Glad to get rid of a RINO hopefully we can gett rid of other RINO's like the R Senators in MAine for example, too bad McCain won BTW.

6. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nothing actually... it's a misnomer. RINO typically refers to a liberal or big government Republican as opposed to a conservative Republican. It's essentially saying this Republican is actually is a big government Democrat (painting all Democrats as big government).

7. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +425 / 8 / -4

Who are the "small government"/"true" Republicans? The last 3 Republican Presidents certainly weren't, and I would think they'd be the standard bearers for the party.

8. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Quite right. It's kind of like "Pro Life"/"Blue Dog"/"Yellow Dog"/"Progressive"/"Reagan" Democrats...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

A RINO, to me anyhow, is someone who porks budgets, and approves all kinds of spending programs, that unnecessarily bloat the budget. IMO for example, it's impossible for someone to cite themselves as being "conservative (fiscally)", when they explode the budget to the tune of $400+ billion in annual deficits (Bush). Of course, when you've watered down the principles of politics to the point where an individual has to include themselves into one of 2 parties, in order to survive, then RINO becomes a meaningful term to only a select few inside the voting population. As someone else pointed out, RINO-Bluedog-Yellowdog-Neocon-Etc. Instead of a plethora of parties, with defined principles, we have Burger King and McDonald's with a convoluted dollar menu. In the end, 90% of either one will give you a bad case of diarea.

[​IMG]

10. Roland

Roland On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would ask Mrs. PF our resident GOP expert.:rolleyes:

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

As was pointed out in post #2.. Alaska gets more pork barrel money percapita than any other state... so they don't want all the fed dollars anymore????..

I am confused about this one..

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

Well they voted out a big spender in favor of a Tea PArty candidate favoring small government, draw your own conclusions.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I'm unsure where this is coming from, Roland. I am probably the least likely person here to ever get into a pizzing match about Rep/Dems. I will discuss individual politicians, I will give my own opinion, I will research other people's stated facts, but I almost never make those broad sweeping statements that so many here love to make.

Maybe you should ask Harry - he knows exactly what constitutes each political party and he, unlike myself, is convinced that one size fits all.

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

RINO - republican in name only

One who doesnt adhere to the robotic "oath" that all republicnas must adhere to. One who might think differently than the mob about an issue or two. (Otherwise known as a normal human being)

EX - Scott Brown - Tea Party free thinking republican who stuck it to the Mass. liberals. Voted for heatlthcare...RINO...

Has anyone used the term "DINO" (other than when talking about the flinstones)

15. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Voted for healthcare?

16. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

That would be Joe Leiberman.
    Some think most democrats from the south are also Dinos.

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

In MA. he did. I believe he voted in favor of Romney's plan, didn't he?

18. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I dont think anyone ever used an all encompasing term to describe Lieberman's break from the democrats. Not only that....he ran as an Independent, so he wouldn't even be a democrat in name at all.

19. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

crap...my bad...I meant the Jobs bill, and Financial reform. He was against the healthcare bill.

Nice job Khayos pointing out my error.

20. khayos

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A lot of Republicans here did. They were told that the uninsured were eating up all the ER costs and that mandating insurance would reduce the cost of healthcare. It didn't. It should have been the demonstrative example in the Obamacare debate but was not. We've had to hike taxes ever since.