PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Improbable Mock 4/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The title is self-explanatory. It is so hard to predict what the Pats do on draft day, that any mock of their picks is likely to be improbable. But here's another take that involves trading down and trading up.

Round 1. Patriots trade the #7 pick to the Saints for the #10 pick and their third round pick #78. At pick #10, the Patriots select Leodis McKelvin, CB from Troy. Reasoning: Saints want to jump up for Ellis. The Patriots get a very athletic and versatile player. McKelvin has the talent to be a future #1 CB as well as be an electrifying return man right out of the gate.

Round 2. Patriots trade pick #62 plus pick #94 to the Falcons for pick #37. They snag a sliding Quentin Groves OLB from Auburn. Reasoning: Falcons have lots of holes and need multiple picks. Groves has rare speed in a 259 ripped LB package, 4.5 40. The medical concern is probably the only reason he will last this long. This draft choice instantly upgrades the Patriots pass rush.

Round 3A. At pick #69 the Patriots select Fred Davis, TE from USC. Reasoning: BB loves his tight ends and Fred Davis is an accomplished pass catcher, winner of the Mackey award, and considered a good blocker for his size, 6'4 250. The only reason he lasts until round 3 is that he opted to skip most of the combine drills. And then on his Pro day struggled at his skill drills, although he did time a 4.60 40 which is very respectable for his position. Adding a pass catching threat like Davis allows the Pats to run double tight end formations without sacrificing much offensive ability. Hopefully Fred Davis can be our version of Christian Fauria but more athletic, a guy who can be depended on to make some key catches and increase our TE depth.

Round 3B. At pick #78 the Patriots select Duane Brown, OT from Vtech. Reasoning: The OL was exposed in the Superbowl for its lack of depth. Once Neal left the game due to injury, the OL collapsed like a house of cards, allowing Tuck, Strahan, and Umenyiora to have their way with Tom Brady. I think he's still SORE today. Brown is an interesting developmental prospect for the RT position. He created a buzz by playing well in the East-West shrine game. He also features above average speed and agility for the position, with a 5.08 40 (#4) and a 4.52 20 yard shuttle (#2).

And I'll stop the draft there. Personally I think that if we come out of the draft with McKelvin and Groves, that is a win. I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots went OT early instead, in a draft deep with good tackles, but there will probably be a decent tackle prospect available in round 3, and Dante is pretty good at developing those guys and molding them into good players. OK guys, flame away. I'm sure there will be some objections heading this way.

DRC lovers, feel free to substitute him for Mckelvin in your heads. But if you do so, substitute a guy like Dexter Jackson or Donnie Avery somewhere in the 3rd to boost special teams. Avril lovers feel free to sub him for Groves in your mind, but please explain why you like him better. I am currently undecided on Avril.

Last edited:
I would be happy with that draft. Though I thought Dave Thomas was the new Christian Fauria?

This would be a BOOM of an early draft. Trading down, getting the extra pick, nabbing the great corner and return guy, adding the extra TE and future pass rushing OLB, and fortifying the line. Absolutely solid. Id be happy with the McKelvin pick, and any of the other positions filled youve accounted for. We'll be lucky to get one of these guys, but well thought out.

Ew, that's disgusting.

Disgustingly good. I don't know how happy I'd be with a corner with the 10th pick but it's a little more palatable than at 7. However, if they take a top corner and manage to snag Groves early in the 2nd... wow.

Well thought out and here's to hoping it is not improbable.

So did I, and I'm still waiting. It will be good to have Thomas and Davis competing for the #2 spot though. May the best TE win. :)

I would be happy with that draft. Though I thought Dave Thomas was the new Christian Fauria?

Wow, I thought I'd receive more flames. Thanks for the comments guys. :) Hopefully the Patriots have a great draft! Just 5 days until draft time!! I'm psyched because this is the first time the Pats have such a high pick in a long time.

Last edited:
Flames for addressing four needs in four picks? we may disagree bur McKelvin and Groves are certainly fine choices if there are no health issues. Davis is fine. Brown may or may not be the best tackle, but he is certainly an acceptable choice. You didn't finish the third with someone at #94. There are several quality corners still there.

I'd rather have Chris Long and Lito Shepherd with our picks through 69, but that's me.

So did I, and I'm still waiting. It will be good to have Thomas and Davis competing for the #2 spot though. May the best TE win. :)

Wow, I thought I'd receive more flames. Thanks for the comments guys. :) Hopefully the Patriots have a great draft! Just 5 days until draft time!! I'm psyched because this is the first time the Pats have such a high pick in a long time.

You didn't finish the third with someone at #94. There are several quality corners still there.

I'd rather have Chris Long and Lito Shepherd with our picks through 69, but that's me.

I had to give up pick #94 to move up in the second round to draft Groves. I like the idea of getting Lito Shepherd, the question is will he agree to a salary that the Patriots can swallow? Because he won't want to come here unless he gets an upgrade to his payscale.

yes, we would need an acceptable renegotiated contract with Lito.

We could be give our low third (almost a fourth) for a one year contract. It seems we did that once recently.

I had to give up pick #94 to move up in the second round to draft Groves. I like the idea of getting Lito Shepherd, the question is will he agree to a salary that the Patriots can swallow? Because he won't want to come here unless he gets an upgrade to his payscale.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots