PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another HUGE ref blunder: punter suffers broken jaw, may have broken neck

If he was hit in the chest, how did he break his jaw?
If he was hit in the chest how was he not hit in the chest. I mean its right there in the video, contact was made shoulder to chest. I don't know what else to say.

I don't know what you're looking at, I watched it for 5 seconds and clearly see him getting hit in the neck.

Happens all the time. You get punched in your chest, and the jaw just explodes. I once saw guy get hit in the arm, and it shattered his knee. Clearly, that's what happened on this hit. Clean hit straight to the chest, and the jaw just fell apart.

Seriously, the rule could not be more clear. Throughout the entire play, a punter or kicker cannot be hit in the head or neck area. The guy got hit right on the bottom or the helmet, hence the broken jaw, and the possible broken neck.

Andy, if you want to argue it wasn't dirty, fine. But it was an illegal hit. But at this point, its like watching a video of cat running over an SVU, and you arguing the cat tried to commit suicide.

Because the punter's jaw is part of his chest. Just like the top of the Steelers player's helmet is part of his shoulder.

It's so obvious :rolleyes:

One could say that way the head slammed down on the ground caused it, but it didn't slam like that. The helmet made contact with the head/neck area of the punter before the shoulder made contact with the body. That's how the broken jaw, and possibly the broken neck, occurred. To state that the shoulder made contact with the body first and still have a punter with a broken jaw and possibly a broken neck is to deny physics. It is physically impossible for a broken jaw to happen as a result of shoulder contact with body.

If he was hit in the chest how was he not hit in the chest. I mean its right there in the video, contact was made shoulder to chest. I don't know what else to say.

Someone failed anatomy

I did the body and head move in unison. The blow was delivered to the chest with the shoulder. I'm not sure how you can call it a helmet to helmet hit when the top of helmet of the guy making the hit is at the neck/jaw level of the guy he is hitting.
I'm sorry the guy got hurt, but that was a clean block.
I recognize though that he will get fined, because the standard for the NFL is that someone got hurt, so there has to be a fine.
We are gettign closer and closer to 2 hand touch.

So the guy got his jaw broken and lost some teeth by a shot to the chest? Thats some shot to the chest that reverberated all the way up to his jaw without breaking anything below it. You might have a case if it was his collarbone.

So the guy got his jaw broken and lost some teeth by a shot to the chest? Thats some shot to the chest that reverberated all the way up to his jaw without breaking anything below it. You might have a case if it was his collarbone.
There is no 'having a case' and by the way no reason for so many dbag posts.
I am looking at the hit and saying what I see. What would you like me to do, lie because some people see it differently?

There is no 'having a case' and by the way no reason for so many dbag posts.
I am looking at the hit and saying what I see. What would you like me to do, lie because some people see it differently?

The problem is that there is a disconnect between what you "saw" and the resulting injuries. You can't continue to go by what you think you saw when the injuries don't match it in any way. A broken jaw can only be the result of a direct hit to that area. Hitting someone in the chest doesn't result in a broken jaw, it just doesn't. So you can continue to say you saw it differently and ignore the physical evidence or change your mind based on the physical evidence.

It seems clear to me that he hit HELMET-First into the jaw closely followed by the shoulder into the chest, and then the arms into the middle-chest.

I think if he had raised his arms to block faster -hit first it would have been a wonderfully clean block (a de-cleater even) and no serious injury on the play.

It is so hard to align just your shoulder pads to hit another moving object-person. It looks from start of clip like he is lined up to hit with shoulder pads and then the whole block goes to hell into a vicious strike.

That enters the debatable points;

1. did he intentionally delay raising his arms to get the "BIG HIT"
2. did he intentionallly lead with the helmet.

My vote is YES on 1 and NO on 2. But Net result is still: DIRTY HIT, because regardless of it not being an 'intentional launch or leading with the head; he still made choices about his arms and how he tried to hit that got him 'leading with the helmet.' And refs-fining officials can't judge 'intent' from a video. (unless he posts a few more twitter shots taking pride in it) [so they have to fine him for what happened.]

Last edited:
The problem is that there is a disconnect between what you "saw" and the resulting injuries. You can't continue to go by what you think you saw when the injuries don't match it in any way. A broken jaw can only be the result of a direct hit to that area. Hitting someone in the chest doesn't result in a broken jaw, it just doesn't. So you can continue to say you saw it differently and ignore the physical evidence or change your mind based on the physical evidence.
The jaw could have been broken when he hit the ground. I don't know for sure that the force of the hit could not have cause it either even if it was direct.
I'm not a doctor. I'm just commenting on what I see. Last I checked its not a crime to have an opinion even if the majority doesnt agree.

It seems clear to me that he hit HELMET-First into the jaw closely followed by the shoulder into the chest, and then the arms into the middle-chest.

I think if he had raised his arms to block faster -hit first it would have been a wonderfully clean block (a de-cleater even) and no serious injury on the play.

It is so hard to align just your shoulder pads to hit another moving object-person. It looks from start of clip like he is lined up to hit with shoulder pads and then the whole block goes to hell into a vicious strike.

That enters the debatable points;

1. did he intentionally delay raising his arms to get the "BIG HIT"
2. did he intentionallly lead with the helmet.

My vote is YES on 1 and NO on 2. But Net result is still: DIRTY HIT, because regardless of it not being an 'intentional launch or leading with the head; he still made choices about his arms and how he tried to hit that got him 'leading with the helmet.' And refs-fining officials can't judge 'intent' from a video. (unless he posts a few more twitter shots taking pride in it)

Whether the helmet made contact or not, he surely didn't 'lead with the helmet'. His intent is obviously to block with his shoulder.

Happens all the time. You get punched in your chest, and the jaw just explodes. I once saw guy get hit in the arm, and it shattered his knee. Clearly, that's what happened on this hit. Clean hit straight to the chest, and the jaw just fell apart.

But at this point, its like watching a video of cat running over an SVU, and you arguing the cat tried to commit suicide.

:rofl: :pound: :pound: :rofl:

The jaw could have been broken when he hit the ground. I don't know for sure that the force of the hit could not have cause it either even if it was direct.
I'm not a doctor. I'm just commenting on what I see. Last I checked its not a crime to have an opinion even if the majority doesnt agree.

Well then that might be the first instance ever of a jaw being broken by someone hitting the back of their head on the ground. Are you really so stubborn that you are going to dig in your heels on this?

ku-xlarge.gif

When you look at this you can't see the helmet hitting him directly on the jaw? Look at the crown of the helmet, not the shoulder pads.

Whether the helmet made contact or not, he surely didn't 'lead with the helmet'. His intent is obviously to block with his shoulder.

Attached is the moment of impact.

The steelers player is wearing black and yellow, the bengals punter is orange and white.

You see how the steelers player has his head down thats called leading with the helmet.

Ok do you see how the steelers players helmet makes direct contact with the face/chin of the bengals player? Thats called hitting someone in the head.

Attachments

• expense009.jpg
    expense009.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 47
Come on. How is the front of him when he is running toward you a blindside?
Of course he tried to lay him out. That is what a blocker is supposed to do.

I include "looking in another direction" in being blindsided. Should the punter have had better awareness? Absolutely. But the hit simply was too high, the crown of the helmet makes contact with the punter's head/neck area. THAT is how he got a broken jaw and cracked vertebrae. As I said before, the blocker knew he had the guy dead to rights and went overboard. It's easy to imagine him thinking in that split second, "He's not looking and I'm going to murder this guy" instead of just breaking down and delivering a solid shoulder block.

I remember a play from years back when Warren Sapp was blocking on an interception return for Tampa vs. Green Bay. Sapp got a head of steam and blindsided a Packer offensive lineman, dislocating his hip. Totally unnecessary. Yeah, the ol' "keep your head on a swivel" adage applies in these cases, but taking advantage of it -- especially at the pro level -- equates to injurious intent.

The guy could have been paralyzed for goodness sake. All this shows is another Pittsburgh Squealer playing dirty.

To my eyes it looks pretty clearly like he led with the helmet.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back