PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another HUGE ref blunder: punter suffers broken jaw, may have broken neck

that is not a a helmet to helmet hit
Crown of helmet hit punter in the jaw. It is an illegal hit on the punter. Any other player om the field it is a legal hit. He will get fined for this hit.

Crown of helmet hit punter in the jaw. It is an illegal hit on the punter. Any other player om the field it is a legal hit. He will get fined for this hit.
Why should he be fined for it being the punter? The punter was running toward the ball carrier.

Why should he be fined for it being the punter? The punter was running toward the ball carrier.

Because it is against NFL to do that. Can not block a punter with a crown of the helmet to the head/jaw/helmet.

What are you watching? It is shoulder to chest.
You might need a closer look. on initial contact the helmet goes straight up. Now, if I was a better pool player, I could tell you about hitting a ball at an angle to send it in a direction not in direct momentum to the queue ball...then again, I have trouble with those shot where I need to hit it straight.

Because it is against NFL to do that. Can not block a punter with a crown of the helmet to the head/jaw/helmet.
I think that is incorrect. You either can or can't block the punter. Some say there is a rule, I'm not sure, but there definitely isnt a rule that says you can block everyone a certain way except the punter.

You might need a closer look. on initial contact the helmet goes straight up. Now, if I was a better pool player, I could tell you about hitting a ball at an angle to send it in a direction not in direct momentum to the queue ball...then again, I have trouble with those shot where I need to hit it straight.
I did the body and head move in unison. The blow was delivered to the chest with the shoulder. I'm not sure how you can call it a helmet to helmet hit when the top of helmet of the guy making the hit is at the neck/jaw level of the guy he is hitting.
I'm sorry the guy got hurt, but that was a clean block.
I recognize though that he will get fined, because the standard for the NFL is that someone got hurt, so there has to be a fine.
We are gettign closer and closer to 2 hand touch.

I think that is incorrect. You either can or can't block the punter. Some say there is a rule, I'm not sure, but there definitely isnt a rule that says you can block everyone a certain way except the punter.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

Article 9 It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless
posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:

(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to
protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or
warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5) A player on the ground at the end of a play;
(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return;
(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession, and
(8) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and
approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or
shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless
player by encircling or grasping him; and

(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of
the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.

that is not a a helmet to helmet hit

you're they type of person that argues that a soccer ball isn't round, aren't you?

There is no reasoning with you, you just seem to get off on being contrarian.

Look at the GIF I posted above. Crown of helmet straight to bottom of facemask. As a matter of fact, here is a still:

At no point in my football career was I taught to lower my head before making a block. It was helmet to helmet, though whether or not it was truly intentional is up for debate.

EDIT: And, once again, what the HELL do people look at when they watch a GIF image?

event-horizon15.jpg

In real time it looked to me that the hit was so hard the punters head snapped forward and hit the crown of the defenders helmut. But in slow motion it looked like the steelers player did hit punter high.

At no point in my football career was I taught to lower my head before making a block. It was helmet to helmet, though whether or not it was truly intentional is up for debate.

EDIT: And, once again, what the HELL do people look at when they watch a GIF image?

event-horizon15.jpg

Sam Neil in Event Horizon?

Andy the pictures/movies/rules seem to confirm you are wrong. Not sure why you are picking this fight, it seems Quixotic at this point.

Yes, it might be true that this is a sign of a watered-down NFL, but so it goes.

Further, even if it were a legal hit, it was a dirty play.

Not calling PI in the EZ against the Ravens last night was a 4 Pt swing that affected the outcome of the game. The NFL with it's "rule explicitly says X vs we call !X half the time" is making the NFL like the NBA. I gave up watching the NBA.

Totally Agree, Nailed It!
I wrote in Lions/Ravens Game Thread last nite how that PI Non Call will come back to play a major part in outcome for Lions especially in a tight game where Ravens won it without a TD on 6 FGs. These play have to be reviewable, their costing teams playoff spots, playoff eliminations, seatings etc. Hard enough playing other team and you throw in Zebras now so what if it takes a few extra minutes to review plays, GET IT RIGHT!

Sam Neil in Event Horizon?

Yep. Another guy without the ability to look at a GIF or picture and draw an accurate conclusion. ;)

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

Article 9 It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless
posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:

(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to
protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or
warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
(3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
(4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
(5) A player on the ground at the end of a play;
(6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return;
(7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession, and
(8) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and
approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or
shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless
player by encircling or grasping him; and
(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of
the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.
1) It was not an unnecessary hit, the punter was trying to make a tackle.
2) He did not forcibly hit the head or neck area, he hit shoulder to chest.

you're they type of person that argues that a soccer ball isn't round, aren't you?

There is no reasoning with you, you just seem to get off on being contrarian.
Because you and I disagree, I am wrong for disagreeing and you are right for disagreeing? Interesting perspective. :rolleyes:

Andy the pictures/movies/rules seem to confirm you are wrong. Not sure why you are picking this fight, it seems Quixotic at this point.

Yes, it might be true that this is a sign of a watered-down NFL, but so it goes.

Further, even if it were a legal hit, it was a dirty play.
I'm not picking a fight. The punter was trying to make a tackle and 57 blocked him in the chest with his shoulder.
I'm sorry the guy got hurt but the injury as a result of the hit does not make the hit wrong.

I'm not picking a fight. The punter was trying to make a tackle and 57 blocked him in the chest with his shoulder.
I'm sorry the guy got hurt but the injury as a result of the hit does not make the hit wrong.

If he was hit in the chest, how did he break his jaw?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back