PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another HUGE ref blunder: punter suffers broken jaw, may have broken neck

I don't think it was a clean hit. I don't think you can't lead with your helmet like that.
He didn't lead with his helmet.
If its true that punters are considered defenseless players,then they should have to drop to the ground and not attempt to make a tackle.
Its becoming a joke when extremely hard clean hits are going to be penalized and fine.

The only thing you can say here if there is a fine is that the league now says you can't hit too hard because it might hurt. SMH.

If its true that punters are considered defenseless players,then they should have to drop to the ground and not attempt to make a tackle.
Its becoming a joke when extremely hard clean hits are going to be penalized and fine.

The only thing you can say here if there is a fine is that the league now says you can't hit too hard because it might hurt. SMH.

That was more than a block, Andy, it was intended to lay the guy out from the blindside by hitting him high. A regular shoulder block to the torso would've sufficed.

http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/DESTRUCTION.gif

how is that not leading with the head, and an illegal headshot?

Well he did try to lay his shoulder (first) into the punter. but, his first contact came to the guys helmet, but he really got under it and hit the jaw.

Now that the league is going to review it, they can also say he launched himself as there was a time both hi feet left the ground (granted that' be stretching the rule on launching a bit, but these are lawyer-type people and they are more likely to take exception to the harm caused to the player a part of it...which is unfair because freak things can happen).

But, he really didn't need to put the guy down like that for him to effectively take him out of the play and that's what the league is trying to reign in.

What's the saying? You need to have your head on a swivel. Looking at the videos and gifs it's clear he did not. I thought it was a vicious but clean hit.

Now that the league is going to review it, they can also say he launched himself as there was a time both hi feet left the ground (granted that' be stretching the rule on launching a bit, but these are lawyer-type people and they are more likely to take exception to the harm caused to the player a part of it...which is unfair because freak things can happen).

I think you should go watch the video again. At no point does he launch himself. Both his feet are on the ground when he makes contact.

The only time his feet aren't in contact with the ground is when he is running over to make the block. Which last time I checked it is legal for you to run in the NFL.

That was more than a block, Andy, it was intended to lay the guy out from the blindside by hitting him high. A regular shoulder block to the torso would've sufficed.
Come on. How is the front of him when he is running toward you a blindside?
Of course he tried to lay him out. That is what a blocker is supposed to do.

Well he did try to lay his shoulder (first) into the punter. but, his first contact came to the guys helmet, but he really got under it and hit the jaw.

But, he really didn't need to put the guy down like that for him to effectively take him out of the play and that's what the league is trying to reign in.
It wasn't head to head it was shoulder to chest.
He didn't launch.
If the league is saying you should not hit a guy as hard as you can the league is wrong.

I think you should go watch the video again. At no point does he launch himself. Both his feet are on the ground when he makes contact.

The only time his feet aren't in contact with the ground is when he is running over to make the block. Which last time I checked it is legal for you to run in the NFL.
ok, I'm corrected, his feet were both on the ground during initial contact. But, his feet did leave the ground as he blocked through. But that's gotta be fairly typical when you have momentum and about 70+ pounds on another player and you are basically trying to go through that person. And Goodell doesn't need facts to allow public opinion to drive his fine process.

What are you watching? It is shoulder to chest.
It is unquestionably NOT a head hit.
Watch the video. Indisputably the first contact is shoulder to chest. Now watch the punter, his head and shoulders move in unision. If there was a head hit, the neck would have snapped back.

It wasn't head to head it was shoulder to chest.
He didn't launch.
If the league is saying you should not hit a guy as hard as you can the league is wrong.

Look at the GIF I posted above. Crown of helmet straight to bottom of facemask. As a matter of fact, here is a still:

Attachments

• helmet.jpg
    helmet.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 83
He hit the guy in the freaking neck. I'd rather just take a shot to the head.

Look at the GIF I posted above. Crown of helmet straight to bottom of facemask. As a matter of fact, here is a still:

I agree - he hits him in the chin, hence the broken jaw.
Should have been a penatly for a blow to the head.

Shoulder to chest

WaiviZn.png
that is not a a helmet to helmet hit

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye