Welcome to PatsFans.com

Another good election

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Not a particularly important election, but there were a few significant votes:

- Democrats won the governorship of Kentucky (thanks to yet another corrupt Republican)

- Democrats won control of the Virginia Senate

- Voters in Utah (yes, Utah!) defeated school vouchers by a wide margin
  2. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As long as the Dems win its all that matters. Party first right Patters?

Can you be any more partisan?
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Certainly not party first, I'm a liberal and pretty disgusted with the Dems right now. But, in Virginia and Kentucky, states with strong religious right movements, Democratic victories are good. And the Utah vote had nothing to do with the Democrats, but in your partisan way, I suppose you couldn't see that.
  4. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I saw on the news last night, that the Democrats also had a big day in Indiana. I'm not a big ra-ra guy for Dems to be winning everything, but rather see it as a trend. Anyone who thinks because the low rating of the Democratic Congress is a signal that the Republicans are going to gain seats is very mistaken.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +488 / 2 / -9

In 2009 we will have a democrat congress, we will pobably have a democrat
    "politically correct minority kid" for a president then God Help Us but this might turn into a good thing for our future, they say you have to "hit bottom" before you can start to climb back up, but I believe we will be attacked again and many more will die right here in America.

Can any of you picture Obama, Hillary, Biden, Kanootchi, or the Pelosi/Reid gang of whining bastards actually fighting a war?
    :bricks:
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

Well, if it didn't have anything to do with democrats, why mention it in the context you presented?
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +371 / 4 / -2

It's the classic example of Coke fukcing up royally, which would be the idiotic GOP, and there only being Pepsi, the Dems, as an alternative. In 4-8 years when the Dems have screwed up royally, guess what will happen? Like I said in November during the biitch slap, pointing a finger as a platform, and running on a "We're not them" campaign slogan will get you elected, but it won't get you very far after that.
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Look again, I merely referred to it as a significant vote. I guarantee in Utah for it to be defeated, it had to have considerable Republican opposition.
  9. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patters, whats your opposition to the voucher program? I havent really spent a lot of time looking at this so I dont have a concrete opinion one way or the other but I'd like to hear your POV on it.
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I support public charter schools, but not private ones as a rule (though actually the Utah program was better than most).

The general problem with vouchers is that for every student a public school loses, it loses some funding, which means that poor kids end up getting worse educations. (Remember, vouchers generally don't cover the full cost of tuition, so those who use vouchers also have extra money at hand.) That said, the last I read, the Utah program actually provided public schools with $5000 of funding for each student it lost. While $5000 is less than the school would get if it didn't lose a student, it at least helps.

The other thing I don't like about voucher programs is that private schools, like private enterprise, are subject to less public scrutiny. Public schools are pretty easy to scrutinize in a district because they all use the same model, their financial records are public, they are compelled to make their overall educational program public, and they have parent oversight often under law (e.g., PTA, public hearings, etc.). Private schools often can be secretive, are not subject to much public scrutiny, and in some cases aren't even held to the same standard at public schools.