PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Example of Clayton's Idiocy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Well, John Clayton is trying to keep up with the stat happy fandoom that is out there, but he is just too stupid to do a halfway decent job of it.

Take this article on teams that he feels the schedule will aid in a turnaround. I will focus on this paragraph:

The Chargers had a tough schedule in 2005, playing opponents with an impossible .559 winning percentage. Last season, their .457 schedule set up a five-game improvement.

Admittedly, Clayton is correct that SD's 2005 opponents were more difficult that their 2006 foes:

2005 - NFCE, AFCE, Pitt/Indy
2006 - NFCW, AFCN, Buff/TN

but I hardly think that the difference is worth 5 games. Really, the divisions largely cancel each other out (2006 AFCN > 2005 AFCE / 2005 NFCE > 2006 NFCW) leaving the primary difference coming from the other two foes.

All that said, here is where the gap in Clayton's mental process is:

He is using same season results in his earlier comparisons but he is using prior year results in his projections. If he instead kept the criteria the same, the 2006 SD team would have been expected to face a terribly difficult schedule that included a very strong AFCN division with two 11 win teams, a 13 win team twice and another 10 win team twice.

Leave the quantitative thinking to the big boys John.

Last edited:
I have listened to Claytons Saturday afternoon radio show many often.Many times I think he's Aqua4Evers illigitimate father.

Last edited:
I have listened to Claytons Saturday afternoon radio show many often.Many times I think he's Aqua4Evers illigitimate father.

And during the last couple of weekends, hasn't the Huddle show been hosted by Jeremy Green (of Scouts Inc. and Dennis Green's son) and, of all people, the slob Andy Gresh?!? The 4-letter network's "standards" are a disgrace.

As for SuperChicken, he lost whatever respect I had for him when, on a Huddle show last August with Sean Salsbury, he predicted that the NEP would not even make the playoffs. Playoffs? P-P-Playoffs?

Well, John Clayton is trying to keep up with the stat happy fandoom that is out

He is using same season results in his earlier comparisons but he is using prior year results in his projections. If he instead kept the criteria the same, the 2006 SD team would have been expected to face a terribly difficult schedule that included a very strong AFCN division with two 11 win teams, a 13 win team twice and another 10 win team twice.

Leave the quantitative thinking to the big boys John.

What he should have done is eliminated the AFC west from the calculation because there in lies the difference. It was a much stronger division in 2005 than in 2004 or 2006 making the Charges schedule in 2006 look tougher than it was.
In 2005 SD's division opponents were a combined 54-42 (play them twice)
(KC 10-6 Oak 4-12 Den 13-3)
while in 2006 they were 40-56 (KC 9-7 Oak 2-14 Den 9-7)
As they say ni financial markets past performance is no indicator of future performance but if you eliminate the intradivisonal record (2004's was 44-52)
their schedule is pretty mch the same and close to .500......

Last edited:
And during the last couple of weekends, hasn't the Huddle show been hosted by Jeremy Green (of Scouts Inc. and Dennis Green's son) and, of all people, the slob Andy Gresh?!? The 4-letter network's "standards" are a disgrace.

As for SuperChicken, he lost whatever respect I had for him when, on a Huddle show last August with Sean Salsbury, he predicted that the NEP would not even make the playoffs. Playoffs? P-P-Playoffs?
I don't know, I haven't brought my xm radio into work so I haven't listened.Once training camp starts i'll start listening again, but I remember Clayton makeing the most uninform comments about the Pats,and Belichick leaveing ( it's his last year you know ) according to Clayton that I'd stop listening for a while before putting him back on.

Last edited:
Being a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan it is always funny to me to see the name John Clayton(Tarzans real name) next to this little man with a head the shape of an egg.

I don't know, I haven't brought my xm radio into work so I haven't listened.Once training camp starts i'll start listening again, but I remember Clayton makeing the most uninform comments about the Pats,and Belichick leaveing ( it's his last year you know ) according to Clayton that I'd stop listening for a while before putting him back on.

No need for XM radio; the Huddle show airs on ESPN Radio - 1350 and 1600 on the AM dial here in south central PA.

No need for XM radio; the Huddle show airs on ESPN Radio - 1350 and 1600 on the AM dial here in south central PA.
AAAH thanks for the info,but I'm not sure I can pick those station up in wetern ma. :p

He was just on ESPN being asked the question "For big money, would you chose Freeney or Arod." I told everyone in the room that he would be sucking up to the Colts, and sure enough he said he'd rather pay big money for Freeney than Arod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes