PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another data point on Brady's rehab [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Another data point on Brady's rehab

One more thing about Brady jumping rope and running on the treadmill, Smith said he was doing this when Curran's negative report came out which was close to a month ago now. So Brady is absolutely on schedule to be back full blast in 2009 - barring more setbacks. Even a brief 2-3 week respite for some cleaning out of scar tissue wouldn't change that.

Yeah, I heard Curran say on WEEI that he said it was extremely doubtful he would be ready for the start of the season, that he definitely would not be ready for the start of camp, and more likely than not start the year on the PUP. He pretty much guaranteed that Brady wouldn't be the opening game starter. He did never claim that Brady would miss the season, but pretty much guaranteed he wouldn't play the full 16 game season. As he went on he got more and more adament about those points.

I think Curran really hung his neck out there. He did what no journalist should do, he let his emotions and pride get in the way of him reporting the story. After conflicting reports came out, rather than accept the possibility that he might have gotten bad information he decided to claim the world didn't know what they are talking about and he knew better than everyone else. I lost a lot of respect for the guy.

I was always a bit skeptical about Curran's report, but now I think he was fed a load of horsecrap and he is too stubborn to admit he is wrong. It has been over a month since Curran reported this and not one reporter has been able to find a single source to coorborate the prognosis that Curran was given. If there was some significant truth to what Curran had, someone would be getting similiar information. Even when the Colts tried to hide Manning's infection and second surgery, there were multiple sources reporting that he had an infection and a second surgery. And that was within a week or two of the surgery. We are going on five weeks now.

I think you're being a bit rough on Curran, as well as approaching the situation with a curious idea of how news media should operate.

The first thing we have to remember is how little the media get from the Pats both in terms of public announcements as well as "background" and off-the-record chatter. In most cases, when a star player is coming off injury, reporters have a steady barrage of noise coming from the franchise's front office, coaches, media relations, and even the ownership, tell them how well the players' recovery is going, how he's way ahead of schedule, and how it would be a big surprise if he wasn't ready for game #1, etc.

It's gotten to the point where the absence of this constant reassurance usually is a pretty good indicator that something is really wrong. Of course, for the Pats, it's just an indication that Bill Belichick has not resigned as the HC of the NEP. We can expect a greater deal of hysteria and doom-saying from most of the media than usual, though. Goes with the territory.

Curran, of course, would know better. But there's another side-effect to the Pats' handling of the media -- when a good reporter gets information from a usually reliable source, he knows that no one from the team will officially comment on it. In the silence BB's media policy creates, the noise of the few sources willing to talk reverberate louder. Curran has no choice but to go with his source, in hopes that it will prompt someone else to speak out either to corroborate or to contradict the first one.

And lo', that's exactly what happened -- someone gave Peter King a conflicting account. See, now we're getting somewhere -- maybe we're no closer to knowing the truth, but at least we've got some people talking, and that's an essential first step.

So what's Curran to do next? He can't be expected to back off the story his source gave him, not based on something someone said to another reporter. That makes no sense, and furthermore, it does nothing to further develop the story. Rather, Curran has to stick to his guns, press his source for more details, while King does the same with his source, hopefully forcing one or both to offer something yet more elucidating about Tom's knee.

That's just how the process works. There's no reason to take is personally just because we have an emotional stake in the situation.

I think you're being a bit rough on Curran, as well as approaching the situation with a curious idea of how news media should operate.

The first thing we have to remember is how little the media get from the Pats both in terms of public announcements as well as "background" and off-the-record chatter. In most cases, when a star player is coming off injury, reporters have a steady barrage of noise coming from the franchise's front office, coaches, media relations, and even the ownership, tell them how well the players' recovery is going, how he's way ahead of schedule, and how it would be a big surprise if he wasn't ready for game #1, etc.

It's gotten to the point where the absence of this constant reassurance usually is a pretty good indicator that something is really wrong. Of course, for the Pats, it's just an indication that Bill Belichick has not resigned as the HC of the NEP. We can expect a greater deal of hysteria and doom-saying from most of the media than usual, though. Goes with the territory.

Curran, of course, would know better. But there's another side-effect to the Pats' handling of the media -- when a good reporter gets information from a usually reliable source, he knows that no one from the team will officially comment on it. In the silence BB's media policy creates, the noise of the few sources willing to talk reverberate louder. Curran has no choice but to go with his source, in hopes that it will prompt someone else to speak out either to corroborate or to contradict the first one.

And lo', that's exactly what happened -- someone gave Peter King a conflicting account. See, now we're getting somewhere -- maybe we're no closer to knowing the truth, but at least we've got some people talking, and that's an essential first step.

So what's Curran to do next? He can't be expected to back off the story his source gave him, not based on something someone said to another reporter. That makes no sense, and furthermore, it does nothing to further develop the story. Rather, Curran has to stick to his guns, press his source for more details, while King does the same with his source, hopefully forcing one or both to offer something yet more elucidating about Tom's knee.

That's just how the process works. There's no reason to take is personally just because we have an emotional stake in the situation.

A couple of things:

1.) Anyone who covers the Patriots know that silence from the Patriots on injuries means absolutely nothing. The Patriots' comments on the subject would be the same if Brady's leg was amputated or he was given a bionic leg - nothing. So it has gotten to the point that with the absense of constant reassurance that it was a pretty good indicator that it was business as usual with the Pats. Personally, I would be more concerned if they proactively started to give information to the media. They only do things like that to hide a problem or react to a story they deem false.
2.) As for Curran, I do not blame him for running with the story. If he has a source who should know what is up and they show him plausible evidence or tell a plausible story, he has the right to run with the story. Curran felt he met that level and he had the right to run with that story.
3.) What is in most dispute is the looseness of the ACL and the prognosis. Both of those could have been spun negatively to Curran when the prognosis is much sunnier than he got. Adam Schefter did say that there is a disgruntled medical staff member spreading rumors about Brady according to his source.
4.) I am not being hard on Curran. I do not blame him for the initial story. I blame him for getting emotional defending it. If you heard him on the radio with Felger after Christmas, he clearly was upset that his integrity was in question by fans and others in the media. That is where he went wrong. He took the conflicting reports as an affront on him and took the stance that he is right and they all are wrong and they don't know what they are talking about. He should have taken a more measured response and said according to his sources, his information is correct. It was arrogant and condenscending to the other reporters.

I'm sorry, but if Curran got this report wrong he deserves a lot of criticism. Not for the initial story, but for his actions after the fact.

dont people here want to trade brady? who cares how he is doing.........:eek:

I had the rare chance of being in my car during the timespan in which Dale and Holley was on, which is a plus. Holley said he shared some texts with Michael Smith who is saying he "didn't say Brady would be ready for training camp" and only that he'd be ready for regular season. Dale said he figures the two go together to some extent (I agree) and joked that Brady's red no-contact jersey in training camp will be neon and there will be a force field around him.

If Brady is going to be ready for week 1, I'd like to see him practicing at least month before that. There will be some rust to be knocked off regardless of when he begins practicing.

Last edited:

Curran's seemed reasonable about the whole thing to me. I hope he's wrong. And I think he hope he's wrong for Brady's sake. Any time we're talking about something in the medical world, its perfectly reasonable to have two opinions on the same set of basic facts. Curran gave one diagnosis to a set of things Brady was experiencing. Whether those negative things come to fruition, Curran didn't guarantee. I hope they don't, and Michael Smith's report gives some confidence.

This is very encouraging - but the acknowledged truth is until he can play on it in a simulated game, we won't really know anything

Source: Brady on track for opener - The Boston Globe

Fernando Bryant's comments are pretty cool too

Now it appears that barring an unanticipated setback, Brady is on track to play in 2009. But whether he'll be the same player he was before the knee injury when he returns remains to be seen.

Former Patriots and current Steelers cornerback Fernando Bryant said Brady's mere presence will help the Patriots.

"I'm a big Brady fan. I hope he comes back," said Bryant, who was cut by the Patriots out of training camp. , yesterday during Super Bowl Media Day. "He's one of the coolest guys I've ever met in my life. In my 10 years in the NFL, I've never seen a quarterback that interacts with the team the way he does: offense, defense, and special teams. I'm not going to lie. He's special."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back