PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Crazy mock draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
http://www.draftace.com/draft2006/mockdraftroundone.htm

This one has Manny Lawson falling to us in round two, #52! When I read it I figured it was done about 2 months ago, nope, try two days ago. As much as I would love to get LAwson at #52, it ain't gonna happen.

Also, look at the name of the guy they have us taking with the 2nd pick in the 3rd round. Guy Whimper, OT, East Carolina. First of, I have never heard of this guy before. And second, I'm sure Belichick has a rule about not taking Lineman with the word "Whimp" in their names.

stevedogc said:
And second, I'm sure Belichick has a rule about not taking Lineman with the word "Whimp" in their names.
But he doesn't mind having CB names "Gay" :D

Regarding Lawson, yeah, it would be nice but won't happen. Too many damn 3-4 teams now.

BelichickFan said:
But he doesn't mind having CB names "Gay" :D

Regarding Lawson, yeah, it would be nice but won't happen. Too many damn 3-4 teams now.

Did you see he has us taking OT "Whimper in round 3"

stevedogc said:
http://www.draftace.com/draft2006/mockdraftroundone.htm

This one has Manny Lawson falling to us in round two, #52! When I read it I figured it was done about 2 months ago, nope, try two days ago. As much as I would love to get LAwson at #52, it ain't gonna happen.

Also, look at the name of the guy they have us taking with the 2nd pick in the 3rd round. Guy Whimper, OT, East Carolina. First of, I have never heard of this guy before. And second, I'm sure Belichick has a rule about not taking Lineman with the word "Whimp" in their names.
Wimper would be an excellent pick in the late third. Interesting how many draftnik favorites they had dropping so far, Cedric Griffen was being kicked around as a 1st rounder and they have him coming to NE in the 3rd.

Whimper has one of those big ole bellies that BB makes so much fun of in his conferences. Really really hard to imagine this guy in a Pats uniform. Anything is possible, but maybe not this one.
I like Griffen a lot. The talent level is not on par with a Marshall or Jennings, but for our defense, he might be a better fit. Still day 2 would make Griffen better value.

Ochmed Jones said:
Whimper has one of those big ole bellies that BB makes so much fun of in his conferences. Really really hard to imagine this guy in a Pats uniform. Anything is possible, but maybe not this one.
I like Griffen a lot. The talent level is not on par with a Marshall or Jennings, but for our defense, he might be a better fit. Still day 2 would make Griffen better value.
What Whimper are you referring to?

Guy Whimper - Combine - 6'5" 304, 4.95/40, 7.38/3cone, 4.59/short shuttle, 8'6"/broad jump, 29"/vertical jump
Recruited as a DL, moved to TE after injuries took out the starters, moved to OT for his senior year. He looked pretty fit to me in the Hula Bowl and at the Combine.

Lawson is not THAT ridiculous at 52. Granted, this is pretty much a best case scenario for us (worst case for Lawson) but the mock is fair enough on it's own terms.

Of the players chosen ahead of him I can only pick out 2 or 3 that were "reaches". And there are a few players picked after him that have a case to go earlier: D'Quell Jackson, Dominique Byrd, Claude Wroten,...

What's really unrealistic is the idea that the Browns would pass on Lawson at #43 for Gerris Wilkinson. To me, that's the absolute lowest he could possibly drop. And I think it's strange that the Steelers chose Kamerion Wimbley ahead of Lawson.

But, stranger things have happened. Ben Rothlesberger is an interesting case in point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back