Welcome to PatsFans.com

Another confirmation that oil has peaked

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Mar 23, 2009.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Oil peaked in 2008 - by Clifford Wirth Ph.d
    Sustainable Living: Oil peaked in 2008 - by Clifford Wirth Ph.d

The top story of the year is that global crude oil production peaked in 2008. The media, governments, world leaders, and public should focus on this issue.
    Global crude oil production had been rising briskly until 2004, then plateaued for four years. Because oil producers were extracting at maximum effort to profit from high oil prices, this plateau is a clear indication of Peak Oil.

Then in August and September of 2008 while oil prices were still very high, global crude oil production fell nearly one million barrels per day, clear evidence of Peak Oil (See Rembrandt Koppelaar, Editor of "Oil Watch Monthly," December 2008, page 1) http://www.peakoil.nl/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/2008_december_oilwatch_monthly.pdf.

Peak Oil is now.

Credit for accurate Peak Oil predictions (within a few years) goes to the following (projected year for peak given in parentheses):

* Association for the Study of Peak Oil (2007)

* Rembrandt Koppelaar, Editor of “Oil Watch Monthly” (2008)

* Tony Eriksen, Oil stock analyst and Samuel Foucher, oil analyst (2008)

* Matthew Simmons, Energy investment banker, (2007)

* T. Boone Pickens, Oil and gas investor (2007)

* U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (2005)

* Kenneth S. Deffeyes, Princeton professor and retired shell geologist (2005)

* Sam Sam Bakhtiari, Retired Iranian National Oil Company geologist (2005)

* Chris Skrebowski, Editor of “Petroleum Review” (2010)

* Sadad Al Husseini, former head of production and exploration, Saudi Aramco (2008)

* Energy Watch Group in Germany (2006)

Oil production will now begin to decline terminally.

Within a year or two, it is likely that oil prices will skyrocket as supply falls below demand. OPEC cuts could exacerbate the gap between supply and demand and drive prices even higher.

Independent studies indicate that global crude oil production will now decline from 74 million barrels per day to 60 million barrels per day by 2015. During the same time, demand will increase. Oil supplies will be even tighter for the U.S. As oil producing nations consume more and more oil domestically they will export less and less. Because demand is high in China, India, the Middle East, and other oil producing nations, once global oil production begins to decline, demand will always be higher than supply. And since the U.S. represents one fourth of global oil demand, whatever oil we conserve will be consumed elsewhere. Thus, conservation in the U.S. will not slow oil depletion rates significantly. Alternatives will not even begin to fill the gap. There is no plan nor capital for a so-called electric economy. And most alternatives yield electric power, but we need liquid fuels for tractors/combines, 18 wheel trucks, trains, ships, and mining equipment. The independent scientists of the Energy Watch Group conclude in a 2007 report titled: “Peak Oil Could Trigger Meltdown of Society:”

"By 2020, and even more by 2030, global oil supply will be dramatically lower. This will create a supply gap which can hardly be closed by growing contributions from other fossil, nuclear or alternative energy sources in this time frame."

With increasing costs for gasoline and diesel, along with declining taxes and declining gasoline tax revenues, states and local governments will eventually have to cut staff and curtail highway maintenance. Eventually, gasoline stations will close, and state and local highway workers won’t be able to get to work. We are facing the collapse of the highways that depend on diesel and gasoline powered trucks for bridge maintenance, culvert cleaning to avoid road washouts, snow plowing, and roadbed and surface repair. When the highways fail, so will the power grid, as highways carry the parts, large transformers, steel for pylons, and high tension cables from great distances. With the highways out, there will be no food coming from far away, and without the power grid virtually nothing modern works, including home heating, pumping of gasoline and diesel, airports, communications, and automated building systems.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

There are a whole bunch of deniers, the drill baby drill crowd, along with the not in my backyard crowd(Feinstein and Kennedy)... the time for action is now, and as long as there is no concerted action to make things different we are on a collision course..
  3. elway7

elway7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Are DarrylS and PRESSY the same person? You guys post on the same threads within minutes
    of each other! Do you live together and use the same computer? Just wondering!
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Deniers ? Those of us who want to drill in new, untapped areas ? Right.
  5. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I agree that the world as a whole is about maxed out at its oil production........but that is not why production has gone down so quickly in 2008......it went down because demand went down, and when all the tanks are full and you have ships floating around full of oil with nowhere to put it, you have to start shutting down some pumps......

blaming the 'drill baby drill' crowd is like blaming a coke lab in colombia for johnnies coke habit in LA.......

the biggest thing now is the unending bipartisan stupidity of still driving around in gas pigs.........and yes, there are just as many libbies out there driving their land cruisers, range rovers, and beemer SUV's are there are cons driving suburbans and tahoes and expeditions........the problem is that gas is still cheap
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

The thread is about oil has peaked.. no amount of drilling and exploration will ever make up for what is right now.. we are on the other side..
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +133 / 7 / -13

Oil is of course ofly a fraction of carbon based energy sources availiable.

Tanked is correct the economy was contracting at that point lowering demand.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Other side or not, the best way to make it last as long as possible is to find new sources. Why leave oil untouched ?
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

No one said this, my thoughts are preparing for the day when there is a whole lot less.. I am not against responsible drilling.. what I would like to know is how much is there and what are the risks.. everything I have seen or read is that they are vastly overestimated..
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Good idea!
    Then we can sell it the Indians and Chinese so the pollutants and toxins can kill and damage their people. That will reduce their populations and we will have an easier time defeating them in WWIII!

In the meantime, we can stop using oil and develop cleaner, non-toxic sources.

Is that what you mean?
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I just mean that we should get whatever oil we have, both for self sufficiency as a nation and for global supply. Alternatives would be nice but they aren't viable right now and don't look like they will be for some time.
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I know what you mean. Didn't mean to paint you as a bad guy...you're not.

I just feel the need to inject that little caveat into the fossil fuel discussion because no one else ever does - I mean NO ONE! The true cost of fossil fuel consumption is never discussed. Maybe because we don't have any idea what it is yet.
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So, what kind of electric car does the OP own and drive???

Tesla??? XS 500?? Hm-m-m.....????

Inquiring minds want to know!! Who's putting their money where their doomsday scenario is????

:singing:......................:yeeha:................................:singing:

//
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

should we also stop trying to find a cure for cancer as well? Its not really viable right now, and doesn't look like it will be for some time.
  15. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

"They" don't the useless eaters (you and me) to use it.

Easy...
  16. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Your incessant requirement to pry into my personal life is showing once again... You'll have to resort to bathroom obsession jabs instead....

Nonetheless, I have little doubt my carbon footprint is a mere fraction of yours, gluttonous, false-witness-bearing, wrath-filled one.
  17. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

the same fat slobs who are driving gas pigs and in denial regarding the eventual end of oil as the primary source of energy for transportation will be the first one to point a finger at government when oil runs out.......

there is no choice but to begin a gradual evolution away from oil in order to save the planet from major problems
  18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

It's too late for anything "gradual."

Perhaps if people like you listened to Jimmy Carter - the only president honest about the energy crisis the past 100 years - instead of ostracizing him, we'd be 30 years ahead of the game by now.
  19. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I was listening before jimmy carter started stating the obvious during the 2nd energy crisis you clown.......zippin around in my datsun b210

gradual is all you are going to get you fool
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I hope it wasn't one of these, cuz that won't help, tree-hugger:D

[​IMG]