PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Brady Article - Brace Yourselves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose I'm guilty of beating a dead horse here, but I do think it's worthwhile to go back to the original article in Yahoo by Michael Silver that started this whole topic of conversation. Take a look at what Silver used in his column when quoting Kraft - and what was left out.

From Silver's Yahoo column:
Contrast that with the comments Kraft made to reporters in March at the NFL owner meetings in Orlando about a potential Brady extension: "Great things happen in life if you're flexible and not rigid. ... We're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. We're not sleeping. It's just complicated."

From the original Globe column by Breer:
"Let's put it like this, Tom Brady is going to be a part of this franchise. He wants to be. We want him. Great things in life happen if you're flexible and not rigid. We have to find a way to satisfy him and the team, and have a team that can win, big-time. That's what it's about. So we're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. So we're not sleeping. It's just complicated, and it's complicated for everybody. We hope we do a satisfactory job. But we'll figure it out one way or the other."

In addition Silver chose to ignore this comment from Kraft:
“We’re very lucky to have him as our quarterback and we want him to be our quarterback for a long time into the future,’’ Kraft said. “Everything he represents is pretty special. He’s a winner. We’re privileged to have him a part of the New England Patriots organization.’’

I suppose I'm guilty of beating a dead horse here, but I do think it's worthwhile to go back to the original article in Yahoo by Michael Silver that started this whole topic of conversation. Take a look at what Silver used in his column when quoting Kraft - and what was left out.

From Silver's Yahoo column:
Contrast that with the comments Kraft made to reporters in March at the NFL owner meetings in Orlando about a potential Brady extension: "Great things happen in life if you're flexible and not rigid. ... We're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. We're not sleeping. It's just complicated."

From the original Globe column by Breer:
"Let's put it like this, Tom Brady is going to be a part of this franchise. He wants to be. We want him. Great things in life happen if you're flexible and not rigid. We have to find a way to satisfy him and the team, and have a team that can win, big-time. That's what it's about. So we're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. So we're not sleeping. It's just complicated, and it's complicated for everybody. We hope we do a satisfactory job. But we'll figure it out one way or the other."

In addition Silver chose to ignore this comment from Kraft:
“We’re very lucky to have him as our quarterback and we want him to be our quarterback for a long time into the future,’’ Kraft said. “Everything he represents is pretty special. He’s a winner. We’re privileged to have him a part of the New England Patriots organization.’’

What bothers me is not only when an article like that is written, but then the writers opinion or conclusion is treated as a fact going forward.
I'm pretty sure thats what Florio did (but I have no interest in going back and reading his article to check). But when one article full of speculation and half-truths becomes the 'source' for a second article, then a third, etc, etc, the speculative part tends to get distorted.

What bothers me is not only when an article like that is written, but then the writers opinion or conclusion is treated as a fact going forward.
I'm pretty sure thats what Florio did (but I have no interest in going back and reading his article to check). But when one article full of speculation and half-truths becomes the 'source' for a second article, then a third, etc, etc, the speculative part tends to get distorted.

I agree, and that was specifically my original point when Silver released that first one. National stories are the worst because they get picked up by other media outlets, and it becomes like a bad game of "telephone" where one outlet bends one statement, which gets bent by someone else, etc. Next thing you know the speculation grows and it's hard to know what's true and what isn't. What we know to be true is that we've yet to hear any actual facts - so obviously to this point there's no point in reading too much into any of it until we actually hear something with some real substance.

Last edited:
Re: Another Brady Article

I think that's a great point. Had he held out like Mankins and really shown there was a problem, I think they'd have a reason to write the story, but obviously that hasn't been the case. Although I don't think even if there was an issue that he'd handle it that way...that's not his style.

Everything published to this point is all conjecture with no substance - including Florio's piece. I think it's actually surprising that we haven't heard anything leak out regarding this from someone that's actually familiar with what's going on. You know there's plenty of people digging...but so far we haven't heard anything. One of the reasons why I'm personally feeling pretty confident is because usually a frustrating situation or a problem with a contract negotiation almost always leads to someone (if not the player, someone "close to him") being upset enough to say the wrong thing to somebody - and that hasn't happened to this point.

We saw this with Wilfork earlier in the offseason, to an extent, when he talked about the possibility of being hit with the franchise tag. Granted, it wasn't the "wrong thing" as Wilfork would have a right to be upset with the franchise tag. But he made a point to express his frustration.

Last edited:

I know and accept that he's pulled away from the team in recent offseasons. I just don't have a problem with guys missing voluntary workouts to be with their fledgling family. Like I said, lots of athletes do that. It's nothing out of the ordinary and I can't see the story being blown up because of it. Now, if Brady was missing mandatory workouts and training camp dates, then I would be worried and can see why the national media would push this story to the front of the sports page.

When you're comparing it to Manning, and to Brady's own earlier behavior and commentary, it's out of the ordinary.

When you're comparing it to Manning, and to Brady's own earlier behavior and commentary, it's out of the ordinary.

out of the ordinary sure but for what reason?

Is he pulling back because he is upset by the team or is he pulling back because he know has two kids and a wife?

out of the ordinary sure but for what reason?

Is he pulling back because he is upset by the team or is he pulling back because he know has two kids and a wife?

It's noteworthy for either reason.

It's noteworthy for either reason.

definitely just might be a good thing to mention that it could be evidence of something else and not just claim it as evidence of frustration

definitely just might be a good thing to mention that it could be evidence of something else and not just claim it as evidence of frustration

That was noted back in post #20:

6.) Brady has clearly pulled back from the team in the recent offseasons. You may, or may not, accept the stated reasons why, but the withdrawal itself is there for all to see.

Last edited:
I just want to know if the brady contract situation turns bad, who are the lemmings going to side with? BB for the way he tries to stonewall players, or brady for not giving a discount.

you may be able to get away with using the CBA as an excuse for someone like mankins (and a big maybe even with that), but if there is one guy who you want to lock down (if you really want him), its a QB like brady.

just remember, the pats need brady a whole lot more than brady needs the pats.

I agree, and that was specifically my original point when Silver released that first one. National stories are the worst because they get picked up by other media outlets, and it becomes like a bad game of "telephone" where one outlet bends one statement, which gets bent by someone else, etc. Next thing you know the speculation grows and it's hard to know what's true and what isn't. What we know to be true is that we've yet to hear any actual facts - so obviously to this point there's no point in reading too much into any of it until we actually hear something with some real substance.

I find it interesting that some sites won't run a story because there is no basis for fact, no corroboration, fear of slander, whatever - yet won't hesitate to run the same story as long as they simply mention (for example) "The Boston Herald reports" ... And then of course after that, it is "espn reports", and in the minds of nearly everyone the story is true and factual - even though, ironically, the national media wouldn't run it themselves originally because they didn't trust the very same story to actually be factual.

Florio just won't let this go...now Tom is on a quest bound to make him too big for Kraft's britches...

His latest machination revolves around conjuring up a revisionist history fueled theory that Bledsoe was let go because he had become too big a face of the franchise for the Patriots liking, ergo a decade later Brady - who is clearly going to demand a $150M extension and hardly ever shows up here anymore (beyond still attending roughly half of the voluntary off season workouts and all of the voluntary and mandatory OTA's - has gone and become the same darn thing...to big a face for this franchise... So it's time to see if the backup whose name Florio mispronounced three times is the interchangeable next in line, or if they can if they decide to franchise Brady and roll the dice that trading him for 2 #1's will placate the fanbase.

LOL Florio apparently didn't follow Bledsoe's career arc any more closely than he grasps Belichick's systems and schemes... They were moving on sooner than later whether Brady emerged or not because Bledsoe wasn't wired to run this disciplined, read and react offensive scheme. Or apparently anyone elses system to their satisfaction, including Bill Parcell's... So that change was looming barring Belichick himself moving on... It had nothing to do with Drew's face, but rather the space between his ears lurking behind his forehead. While on the other hand Belichick is on record after five trips to the AFCC and four trips to the Superbowl (including one on the heels of the only undefeated 16 game regular season in NFL history) in 10 seasons here, all with Brady at the helm as he has been for eight of those ten seasons...that there is NO other QB he would want to lead his team.

Honestly, that these talking head clowns can continue to spew this nonsense with a straight face is mindnumbing. But all you have to do is check out the comments to view the core demographic he's pandering to. Delusional morons largely from 3-4 other fanbases desperate to envision a stick fork in this franchise scenario for a decade now and counting.

Tom Brady's quest for a market-value contract | ProFootballTalk.com

Florio just won't let this go...now Tom is on a quest bound to make him too big for Kraft's britches...

His latest machination revolves around conjuring up a revisionist history fueled theory that Bledsoe was let go because he had become too big a face of the franchise for the Patriots liking, ergo a decade later Brady - who is clearly going to demand a $150M extension and hardly ever shows up here anymore (beyond still attending roughly half of the voluntary off season workouts and all of the voluntary and mandatory OTA's - has gone and become the same darn thing...to big a face for this franchise... So it's time to see if the backup whose name Florio mispronounced three times is the interchangeable next in line, or if they can if they decide to franchise Brady and roll the dice that trading him for 2 #1's will placate the fanbase.

LOL Florio apparently didn't follow Bledsoe's career arc any more closely than he grasps Belichick's systems and schemes... They were moving on sooner than later whether Brady emerged or not because Bledsoe wasn't wired to run this disciplined, read and react offensive scheme. Or apparently anyone elses system to their satisfaction, including Bill Parcell's... So that change was looming barring Belichick himself moving on... It had nothing to do with Drew's face, but rather the space between his ears lurking behind his forehead. While on the other hand Belichick is on record after five trips to the AFCC and four trips to the Superbowl (including one on the heels of the only undefeated 16 game regular season in NFL history) in 10 seasons here, all with Brady at the helm as he has been for eight of those ten seasons...that there is NO other QB he would want to lead his team.

Honestly, that these talking head clowns can continue to spew this nonsense with a straight face is mindnumbing. But all you have to do is check out the comments to view the core demographic he's pandering to. Delusional morons largely from 3-4 other fanbases desperate to envision a stick fork in this franchise scenario for a decade now and counting.

Tom Brady's quest for a market-value contract | ProFootballTalk.com

What could be worse than a Lawyer acting as a Sports Mediot?

Pay no attention to that man (or woman) behind the curtain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back