Welcome to PatsFans.com

Another Bill Bites the Dust

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Washington (CNN) -- Senate Democrats failed Thursday to win a procedural vote to open debate on a bill that would provide medical benefits and compensation for emergency workers who were first on the scene of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The motion for cloture, or to begin debate, needed 60 votes to pass due to a Republican filibuster, but fell short at 57-42 in favor.

The James Zadroga 9/11 Health Bill -- named after a deceased New York Police Department detective who had worked in the toxic plume at ground zero -- seeks to provide free medical coverage for responders and survivors who were exposed to toxins after the attacks.

9/11 responders bill defeated by Senate GOP filibuster - CNN.com

That makes the Dream Act, DADT and this one - that I canthink of offhand.

Can START be far behind?

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Start already is far behind. These child molesting scum bags will stop at nothing to get a few thousand people a tax break

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I'm no mathematician but wouldn't removing the tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires pretty much pay for all these bills which actually help people? How do they wring their hands and woefully say, "But how will we pay for it?" with a straight face?

These first responders put their lives on the line....they didn't hesitate, they didn't falter and they didn't fail us when we needed them. It's downright embarassing to fail them in return.

These people are becoming casualities of 9/11 the same as those who were killed there that day - only we can't blame their deaths on Terrorism...unless you want to call what the Republicans are currently doing Domestic Terrorism.

Personally, I'm ok with calling it that. What else is it called when you hold innocent people who were injured while protecting their countrymen hostages in return for money?

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

They were killed by terrorism. It's the same thing as when Vietnam vets died from battle wounds years after the war, they died from injuries suffered from battle. If there wasn't a terrorist attack or a war, then they wouldn't have died from those causes.
    The Republicans are not acting in the best interests of America.

5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +151 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Yes they are holding the country hostage, i agree totally with that. What i'd like to know is that actual figure, how many out of 320 million is this tax break going to benefit. Is it 5K, 10K 1 million? Is this country being held hostage so a few thousand can get a tax break? If so (and i believe it is) than Obama should come out and say "the will and good of 320 million and possibly the world is being held so a few thousand people can keep their taxes at the rate they are now" The whole thing is an Obscenity, Mcconnel Bonner and the rest are worse than pedafiles.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Obama re-elected in 2012. Book it.

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +373 / 11 / -28

Along with another radical change in congress, those folks do not get it..

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Yes, they did.....and we took care of them, too, and not all of them died because we did provide that care.

If a death is preventable (and medical treatment does sometimes prevent death) and that death takes place anyhow - the death that takes place has two causes - the initial act (in this case the collapse of The Towers) and the contributing cause (the refusal to provide medical care.)

On that we do agree.

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

I have to agree with democrats on this one and yes it is very possible that this f-cking clown Obama will be re-elected in 2012 and it will be these republicans that will help do it. This is sick, those people that fought the battle of 9/11 should be given anything and everything that will help them and it should be FREE and Fast, I don't know how those people that voted against it can sleep at night, they along with the Baptist Church Vermin should be burned to death along with their Cats and Dogs, I will pray for that tonight.

10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +151 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Thats two years away, the vast majority of the public doesn't pay enough attention to remember this. Also the pubbies are Very good at shifting the blame, and the dems are very good at accepting it.

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

All the 'first responders' are covered by generous health care insurance plans through their jobs. What is this money for? First responders accepted a billion dollar settlement for a lawsuit.

What is this additional money actually for? The government cannot account for 425 billion that had been allocated in 'block grants'.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Where do you get that from, 13? Lots of medics and firefighters from several other states volunteered on their own time to assist in the clean up. They were not covered under Workman's Comp. or any program like that...and yeah, maybe some of them had insurance through their jobs - but when you can't work because you are sick and you were not injured "on the job" you lose that insurance when you become too sick to work and you lose that job. Not only that but your medical expenses increase markedly. Even if you managed to keep your day job even though you are sicker than he!! - there are deductibles and copays and medications which are not covered. How dare you deny them care? Really, how dare you?????

And every penny of it well deserved...and more so.

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

All the first responders from the tri-state area have very generous health care plans, plus there is Obamacare right.

This is political theatre to identify and sacred victim group to justify more spending and to have an issue for political ads in 2012 nothing more nothing less.

The first responders have health care plans paid for by the taxpayers. They have just won another billion in a lawsuit what is this additional money for?

Who do the block grants go to?

No Thanks the first responders are being cared for.

14. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +673 / 6 / -9

I'm going to refrain from calling you what you are for proffering this disgusting point of view, but perhaps you can look up the myriad cases of first responders dying due to lead poisoning, mercury poisoning, and the like. That's what the money is for, genius.

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Put the KoolAid down for a few minutes, 13...honestly, you're scaring me.

There is no "Obamacare" for these people. Obamacare demands that the person getting the health insurance can pay for the health insurance...these people cannot.

There are tens of thousands of people listed on the World Trade Center Health Registry, almost 600 of them now live in North Carolina. Richard Dambakly, of Hampstead, is one of them.

He and hundreds of others helped during the tragic events that took place at the World Trade Center September 11. Now, they're asking the senate to help them with the cost of becoming healthy again.

"The judge says, ‘We're going to help out everyone at Ground Zero,'" Dambakly explained. "But leave us out? That's not helping anyone. I got cancer from there."

Dambakly has been fighting lymphoma and law makers for nearly a decade. He watched the planes hit the towers and worked 16-hour days in the debris for Verizon. Then, within months, he watched his health deteriorate.

"It felt like my chest was just going to blow up," said Dambakly. "First thing out of my mind is, ‘I got sick from all the debris I was breathing.'"

A judge denied Dambakly medical compensation, along with about 300 others, in a class action law suit because they missed the filing deadline by 14 days.
    Health victims hope Senate signs Zadroga 9/11 Compensation Act - WECT TV6 - WECT.com - Wilmington, NC news and weather -

Hardly "political theatre."

Nearly 70 percent of 9/11 first responders have debilitating respiratory illnesses.

Many of them have been ill for years and will be for the rest of their lives.

9/11 First Responders Gravely Ill - ABC News

"The agreement reached today on the 9/11 settlement is a positive step for many ailing first responders -- but the problem isn't over," New York Reps. Jerrold Nadler, Peter King and Carolyn Maloney said in a joint statement. "Nearly everyone agrees that the settlement does not provide adequate funding to fully compensate those who are injured among the more than 10,500 plaintiffs in this case, nor does it cover the tens of thousands of 9/11 responders and survivors who are injured but have not filed lawsuits."

9/11 workers approve settlement with New York City - CNN.com

Not unless they filed before 12.22.03 - and countless thousands of them did not show symptoms of disease before that date......and here's what the Bill would have done for them:

• Reopens September 11th Victims Compensation Fund for individuals who did not file before or became
    ill after the original December 22, 2003 deadline.
    • Allows for adjustment of previous awards if the Special Master of the fund determines the medical
    conditions of the claimant warrants an adjustment.
    • Amends eligibility rules so that responders to the 9/11 attacks who arrived later than the first 96 hours
    could be eligible if they experienced illness or injury from their work at the site.

http://maloney.house.gov/documents/911recovery/20070322_HR1638_summary.pdf

16. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

No, I agree with you on all counts. I just needed more coffee when I was posting as my thoughts did not print accordingly.

17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This place never changes. I can leave for 2 years and it'll still be like this. It is comforting and terrifying all at the same time.

18. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +151 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Whats scary to me is that some people here really believe what they are saying. 13 Really believes what he says, hes not doing it to irritate, hes not trolling.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

First Responders have health care, no one disputes that they could have health issues due to 9-11. Some civilian residents of the area have health issues also (no one cares about them though). Thesepeople have good care already, please give me the reason they need additional billions?

IMO they are being used by the left as political pawn, they are merely a designated victim class to be used, nothing more.

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Maybe if you bothered to read links or find out facts on your own you'd not make so many stupid mis-statements.

From the bill which was just rejected by The Republicans.

Medical Monitoring and Treatment
    • Continues the current medical monitoring and treatment for responders, rescue, recovery and clean up
    workers at the same level of medical monitoring and treatment they receive now.
    • Expands the current medical monitoring program to include all other people exposed to the toxins of
    9/11, including area residents, office workers and students.

So now you're an expert on how long people can keep their health insurance after they can no longer work, huh?

These are young guys for the most part, 13...with families and bills and all the things that young men have. Unless they worked for the city or State of New York, they aren't going to be covered under workman's comp. or disability insurance through their employer. They went there as volunteers - unpaid volunteers. No business, no town, no company, no government agency is going to pay a disability claim for something which happened outside the normal workplace.

It amazes me that you are so all fired concerned about what gets built anywhere near "Ground Zero," because it is sacred ground to you - and yet the human beings who did the most to preserve the area, to save whatever life they could there, to clean it up and make it habitable again, them you are willing to throw away like garbage.

At least we know where your priorities are.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010