Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anna Nicole, the perfect Fox News distraction

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Mar 5, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

VIDEO COMPILATION: Fox News Devoted 12 Times More Coverage To Anna Nicole Than Walter Reed

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/03/05/fox-news-anna-nicole-walter-reed/
    Our national media embarrassment was again on full display on Friday. Both MSNBC and Fox News devoted more coverage to Anna Nicole Smith — three weeks after her death on Feb. 8 — than they did to the multiple developments involving the neglect and deplorable conditions at Walter Reed military hospital.

The most lop-sided coverage by far was aired by Fox News, which featured only 10 references to Walter Reed compared to 121 of Anna Nicole — roughly 12 times the coverage. MSNBC featured 84 references to Walter Reed and 96 to Anna Nicole.

ThinkProgress compiled a reel of lowlights from Friday’s coverage. Watch it:

References to Anna Nicole and Walter Reed on cable networks on March 2:

NETWORK ANNA NICOLE WALTER REED
    FOX NEWS 121 10
    MSNBC 96 84
    CNN 40 53

If you want to write CNN and thank them for their more balanced coverage, the feedback form is HERE.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +873 / 2 / -9

For the first time I agree with this guy (PressCover) and he doesn't even know it, he blocked me.

Will somebody tell PressCover he's right about the old bag Nicole

Thank You
    Harry Boy (Blocked)

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +396 / 15 / -14

Wow, Harry Boy and Press Coverage agree.

To Fox's credit, they recognize their audience is more interested in hearing about Anna Nicole's funeral than the maltreatment of our injured soldiers. Well, no one's ever going to accuse the right of being part of the cultural elite.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +709 / 7 / -2

I can't stand the Anna Nicole stuff and seriously can't fathom why she is news at all, never mind getting 24/7 coverage on Fox. It baffles me in all honesty. The problem is, so much non news worthy people, or issues, are made news by all of the major stations. I'm constantly saying to my television "who cares?". FOX has been out of control with Anna Nicole.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +873 / 2 / -9

Her raunchy mother and that Stearn guy are trying to keep it going they are going to dig her up every couple of months or so and re-bury her somewhere else.

Greta Van Sustren has a picture of Scott Peterson, Michael Jackson and Nicole's fat a$s on her Piano.

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Why do you think that is?

I think it's a combination of FOX's desire to NOT cover anything embarrassing to the admin / neo-cons and the response to actual public desire for this stupid, irrelevant, and mindless story. The audience FOX enjoys is, unfortunately, the majority of American McNews viewers who lack the intelligence, curiosity, freedom of thought, and/or education required to analyze and research more complicated story. This story is only as complicated and demanding as FOX wants it to be. It's a classic experiment in cultural control that FOX is conducting to see how much the sheeple can be manipulated. This might even become a college course, if there is any use for colleges in the future.

7. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0

Totally agree, and it is why I am now turning off whatever channel is on when they start discussing this totally unimportant story. Feels great re-gaining some control over what i'm being fed by the networks.

I really noticed how much we are being distracted last year when the supreme court made it's horrid ruling on eminent domain. I was so angry about the decision that I tuned in to Fox News that evening to get their take on the whole thing.....NOT....ONE.....WORD!!!!

All they wanted to talk about was that girl (I am so pleased that I can't remember her name) who disappeared in Aruba. Certainly her disappearance was a tragedy for her family, but why does the rest of the country need to know about her? We had a real story of real significance and all they wanted to do was talk about this relatively unimportant story.

I thought Fox was generally better than the other news networks, but this really made me much more skeptical of all news outlets.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 15 / -29

I've really tried to distance myself from the Anna Nicole thing as it is about excess and what is truly bad about this country. Imagine someone from Iraq, who has satelite capability turning this on. I cannot imagine how this plays in any third world country, but the fascination with her, Britney, Hilton and the rest of the excessive, spoiled idiots is something I cannot comprehend.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +709 / 7 / -2

I think that's a pretty bad, and broad criticism of it's viewership. Are you thus implying that people who watch CNN and/or MSNBC are brighter and more intelligent?

I'll buy part of the reason being to look away from ongoing events that might be bad for the Admin (FOX is right leaning), but I also feel that the other stations overplay in the opposite direction (as they are left leaning). It's the sad state of news in this country, one channel tries to push the story away from X, while the others overplay it. I don't think that this is only subject to Anna Nicole, Libby, the War, etc... I think this has been an ongoing thing. Take the UN, the other channels under report their shadyness, while Fox overreports it. It's why I try to watch all 3 channels. Brian Williams is in Baghdad this week, and I saw him report last night. He must have said 5 times how every soldier he talks to believes in what they're doing and doesn't want to leave, yet, if you watch most news channels, you'd never know that, which he back handedly pointed out. Again, I've been saying it for a while now, all channels and outlets have angles and slants. To me, the media has an obligation to be objective and arbitrary, and not play angles and favorites. Sadly, they do, and therefore limiting yourself to one over another is to your own detriment. Watch as many differing channels as you can, and watch them while keeping their angle in mind.

With all that, I really can't stand the Anna Nicole Smith stuff. Who Cares? :eek:

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +709 / 7 / -2

Don't think that the news in other countries isn't similar. In Italy they have silly stories like Anna Nicole all the time. They love gossip more than we do. European paparazzi is far worse than anything American. That reminds me, as wonderful as I thought Princess Diana was, that was as overplayed as everything else too. Oh, and what was the name of that dude who's pregnant wife disappeared, and he tried to say he was fishing when it happened? That was 24/7 EVERYWHERE! What was his name? He dyed his hair and stuff. Someone help me here.