PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andy Reid to return in Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious about the mindset of some of you, because there seems to be a split in the way you're viewing a pair of coaches returning to their teams. I'm not saying that I either agree or disagree, but I am wondering about the underlying reasoning:

Why is it a good move for the Eagles to keep a coach that hasn't won a Super Bowl in over a dozen years, has 9 wins or fewer in 4 of the last 7 seasons, and has 46 total regular season wins during the last 5 seasons along with a 2-3 postseason record during that time, but a bad idea for the Chargers to keep Turner, when Turner's also had 49 regular season wins with a 3-3 postseason record in that same 5 season stretch?

My sense of these two guys is that Reid plays to win games and Norv, God love him, plays not to lose.

I'm just curious about the mindset of some of you, because there seems to be a split in the way you're viewing a pair of coaches returning to their teams. I'm not saying that I either agree or disagree, but I am wondering about the underlying reasoning:

Why is it a good move for the Eagles to keep a coach that hasn't won a Super Bowl in over a dozen years, has 9 wins or fewer in 4 of the last 7 seasons, and has 46 total regular season wins during the last 5 seasons along with a 2-3 postseason record during that time, but a bad idea for the Chargers to keep Turner, when Turner's also had 49 regular season wins with a 3-3 postseason record in that same 5 season stretch?

It's perception fueled by the way the media views and portrays the two, as well as their divisions (the old most competitive NFCE bias the media can't see is ancient history vs. the messy and wide open AFCW a moron should win in) and also because of association (we see and compete against and worry about an AFC rival moreso than an NFC team we seldom face). And of the two teams SD projected for a long time as the poster child for talent collection as opposed to teambuilding so when they lose the fantasy players assume it must be because the HC is an idiot (although for some reason they'd wecome him as an OC...:ugh:)

My sense of these two guys is that Reid plays to win games and Norv, God love him, plays not to lose.

Reid is a lousy situational HC who persistently allowed his offense to throw or fumble or dry heave away more games than his defense could win for him. I came to enjoy watching Andy's expressions on the sidelines as he silently fumed and watched his teams piss away games. Like he too was stunned they could do that to such a heralded HC... That last SB drive in 2005 was classic Andy Reid... tick tock.

Reid is a lousy situational HC who persistently allowed his offense to throw or fumble or dry heave away more games than his defense could win for him. I came to enjoy watching Andy's expressions on the sidelines as he silently fumed and watched his teams piss away games. Like he too was stunned they could do that to such a heralded HC... That last SB drive in 2005 was classic Andy Reid... tick tock.

'05 was memorable, but I lay that at Donovan McNabb's feet for being exhausted and clueless at the end of that game. The Eagles were completely undisciplined during the two weeks leading up to that game and paid for it.

'05 was memorable, but I lay that at Donovan McNabb's feet for being exhausted and clueless at the end of that game. The Eagles were completely undisciplined during the two weeks leading up to that game and paid for it.

I've watched that game a bunch of times. What nobody ever talks about is just before McNabb seemed to go in LaLa land he was totally leveled by Jarvis Green. I will always be convinced McNabb was hurt bad by that hit and that's why he was clueless and barfing. Watch it again.

And who pray tell is that an indictment of... Reid just stood by and watched it all unfold, the great disciplinarian and leader of men and x's and o's genius whose team couldn't run the hurry up to save their souls (and that wasn't the first or last time we witnessed that phenomenon). The media persistently tells us that Andy can and will straighten anything out... Don't hold your breath. Although his Eagles wagon is hitched to Vick now and it won't be long. Lurie's put him on notice, win or go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back